Post 2022 Gen 7 Car Upgrades

I don't have a problem with shifting. These guys have so few tools to work with in the car.

Isn't that by design though? I thought the whole point of stock car racing was to make it more about the driver and less about the car.
2024 Mustang Dark Horse body revealed

Nose/front wheel arch profile is really interesting.

NGL, that looks pretty badass. I do wonder how much goes into the design of these bodies for the different manufacturers. It seems like with the NextGen cars, parity is a priority so that you can have teams like RFK and Trackhouse running up with teams like Hendrick and Penske. So any body design that the manufacturer comes out with for the next season would undoubtedly have to be tested by NASCAR to make sure there's no clear advantage in the new design, right?

Isn't that by design though? I thought the whole point of stock car racing was to make it more about the driver and less about the car.
The car isn't shifting itself. The driver is the one making the decisions - shift or not, when to up and down, etc.

If it's acceptable on a road course, why not on an oval?

The car isn't shifting itself. The driver is the one making the decisions - shift or not, when to up and down, etc.

Being acceptable and putting on a good race are 2 different things. The showings at the road courses have been subpar for the most part as well

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Agreed. IndyCar is entertaining as hell on ovals and they shift.

Nascar version on the track

We‘ve come a long way haven’t we?
IMG_7877.jpeg

They see a race or two that isn't exciting enough and out goes the baby with the bathwater.

There is a small vocal minority yip yapping about shifting and they have been shifting on Nascar tracks for almost forever. Where is all of the yapping about the last M'Ville race? Surely they watched the same race and heard shifting all day long. Some clown that didn't enjoy that race doesn't need to be watching racing period.

NGL, that looks pretty badass. I do wonder how much goes into the design of these bodies for the different manufacturers. It seems like with the NextGen cars, parity is a priority so that you can have teams like RFK and Trackhouse running up with teams like Hendrick and Penske. So any body design that the manufacturer comes out with for the next season would undoubtedly have to be tested by NASCAR to make sure there's no clear advantage in the new design, right?
Aerodynamic profile is always going to matter, especially so when there are spec chassis involved. All of the body changes have to go through wind tunnel testing at Windshear and the body has to be homologated within a “box” of specified downforce/sideforce/drag levels.

When the cars all collectively went through a bunch of changes after the big defining NextGen test at Charlotte in December ‘21 (spoiler height, splitter configuration, cooling updates) they went back through the wind tunnel and found the changes forced Ford outside the box and they had to make some nose tweaks a couple of weeks before the 500.

Any time they’re updating a track-specific package or a manufacturer is proposing body updates they go through the same process.

Aerodynamic profile is always going to matter, especially so when there are spec chassis involved. All of the body changes have to go through wind tunnel testing at Windshear and the body has to be homologated within a “box” of specified downforce/sideforce/drag levels.

When the cars all collectively went through a bunch of changes after the big defining NextGen test at Charlotte in December ‘21 (spoiler height, splitter configuration, cooling updates) they went back through the wind tunnel and found the changes forced Ford outside the box and they had to make some nose tweaks a couple of weeks before the 500.

Any time they’re updating a track-specific package or a manufacturer is proposing body updates they go through the same process.

Thank you for that bit of informatiion! :)

Back
Top Bottom