Practice/No Practice Thread

Man, this new starting lineup procedure sure simplifies everything...

I don’t like it on Fri and Sat when I’m just wanting some info on the goings on for Sun but overall it’s probably best for racing. Things that make it hard for the teams and drivers is good for us. And it probably gives the road guys a much less stressful weekend, maybe more time at home. I do like the business when I’m actually attending a race, especially with someone new so I can talk and explain what’s happening before the actual event. And just nice to hear the cars....

One twenty minute practice for the senior league....that is it. And the tires are part of the allotment. The practice to be run on the day of the race. They have ten minutes after the practice to grid the car and no touch after that.

Better yet....only the driver can adjust the car in that 10 minute window (crew can during the 20 minute session). Most of todays drivers probably do not know which end of the wrench to hold.

Noticed this topic came up heavily in the fan council survey, seems like they're weighing whether or not (and how much) to have practice/qualify for next year.

I don't think they need as much practice as they used to, as it helps them cut cost and everything, but I would really like to see 1 practice session pre-race (especially with the new car) and an actual qualifying session in race trim like they did before. The previous race qualifying formula is a no go for me.

Noticed this topic came up heavily in the fan council survey, seems like they're weighing whether or not (and how much) to have practice/qualify for next year.

I don't think they need as much practice as they used to, as it helps them cut cost and everything, but I would really like to see 1 practice session pre-race (especially with the new car) and an actual qualifying session in race trim like they did before. The previous race qualifying formula is a no go for me.
I don’t hate what you’re saying, I don’t think they will go back to the 3 or 4 practices then a qualifying that they had during a weekend but I’d be fine with 2 practices (2 45 min sessions) then a qualifying. I hope it doesn’t stay where it is now, I just think the teams and drivers benefit from at least one practice.

They're absolutely going to need some practice with the new car. And I can't wait until it comes back. Makes the at track experience 10 times better and also gives you some additional things to watch at home and follow on Friday/Saturday.

I really miss qualifying.

I'm one of the few that preferred single car qualifying, especially back when teams could run a setup that was qualifying specific instead of being forced to run in race trim. The parity back then was awesome.

I miss practice too, for the same reasons Adub pointed out in the post above this.

Maybe NASCAR will spice it up a bit. Each team must practice, qualify and start the race on the same set of tires. That would create some interesting strategy.

Maybe NASCAR will spice it up a bit. Each team must practice, qualify and start the race on the same set of tires. That would create some interesting strategy.

I wouldn't want to get that radical. I would like to see two 30-45 minute practices a weekend with an extra 15 minutes per session for rookies.

I'm fine with starting the race on the tires you qualified with. That's a good cost-saving measure for the teams rather than trash a set of tires with 2.5 laps on them.

I wouldn't want to get that radical. I would like to see two 30-45 minute practices a weekend with an extra 15 minutes per session for rookies.

I'm fine with starting the race on the tires you qualified with. That's a good cost-saving measure for the teams rather than trash a set of tires with 2.5 laps on them.
I was thinking that if a team wants to practice then a premium should be paid and a team that chooses not to practice or just run a couple laps should get rewarded. Maybe somebody has another idea along these lines.

If a driver has never raced at a track I think they should get some extra practice time before the regular session(s).

A couple of opposing concerns.
I would like for there to be opportunities for new teams to show up and race on any given weekend, or the opportunity to qualify their way into the race. I do not know how that can happen without a practice/qualifying run up.
I have always hated it in the past when it rained out everything on Friday and Saturday and some team in a non charter or non provisional situation was instantly shutout of any opportunity and sent home. On the positive side they at least know the outcome in advance without making unnecessary costly trip.

Otherwise, I like the no practice and qualifying conditions. I wish they drawed for positions and it seems like some type of algorithm could be built to semi equalize matters of the overall draw results over the long term while still keeping it semi random.

I like the tough hardships. Racing is a war and I wish there were no competition cautions to save your bad setup. I wish every caution was a quicky caution for the same reasons. I am not suggesting it is easy and I understand racing is already tough and racing people are insane with the level of things they will do to win. But I still believe there should be some more serious consequences for being unprepared and you should get to many chances to overcome a mistake.

If I was in charge I would even sacrifice close finishes to maintain those attributes. If someone has a 10 second lead they should be able to keep it at the expense of ruining everyone else's day.
I love close finishes but I want them to be natural.

Yeah , I agree with @Greg above, I like problem solving in racing.
At this point , I could be talked in to having a 10 min period
of hot laps . The hour long practices I can still do with out.

I like the idea of a 30 min practice for all cars. Not so much to get the car right
but at least know where it is at.

Give me 45 minutes of Practice, and single car qualifying. I would also like to see some significant time for rookies....a 45 minute session or so. NASCAR has really hampered the development of our young drivers with no practice and no testing. We have to completely rethink learning curves, but sponsors don't really understand that unfortunately.

I know the drivers love the one day shows, especially Kevin Harvick, but I miss practice and qualifying.
Absolutely dude.

It was always an after school high light for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Give me 45 minutes of Practice, and single car qualifying. I would also like to see some significant time for rookies....a 45 minute session or so. NASCAR has really hampered the development of our young drivers with no practice and no testing. We have to completely rethink learning curves, but sponsors don't really understand that unfortunately.
I think this is also a product of organizations and manufactures scooping up talent before the other guy.

This interview really sums up the driver recruitment process, and squeezes these kids into a tiny box.

The development of a lot of young talent is stunted. Gone are the days of 24-26 year old cup ROOKIES who turn into stars. Now, it's the 18-19 year old kid with sponsors and a strong, yet raw skillset. Who cares what he will be when that skillset is complimented by a grown man's mind? If you can't get it done when you're a kid, you're out

Taking away practice, as you say here, just further stunts these young guys. From 2002-2006, we had 4 first time Champions in 5 years. None of those guys had more than 5 years cup experience.

You had young drivers in their twenties showing out as Championship ready drivers super early in their career. Now, you have kids thrown into elite rides in the three main divisions, and if they're not getting it done, they're gone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think this is also a product of organizations and manufactures scooping up talent before the other guy
NASCAR is late to the party on this in terms of big time sports....Four year starters in college sports? Not anymore. This is also about maximizing earning potential. If an owner/manufacturer is willing to bite, the "kid" needs to take the money and run while it is on the table. Kid has talent....you've got 10 years added onto an already lucrative career. Kid doesn't make it....you have a nice start to life. Despite what Tony Stewart says, we are basically win-win here. Toyota started this. We all know that.

IMO, it’s the right thing to do. Maybe not three practices a weekend but at least two and a qualifying sesh

Agreed. Two practices and qualifying. I hate seeing cars/teams (5 team this weekend) have a simple issue ruin their weekend. Obviously their own fault, but it would’ve been avoided had it been a “normal” weekend.

Back
Top Bottom