Practice vs No Practice

My point was that everybody is willing to accept things now because there is no alternative. Will everybody be as willing when there IS an alternative?
Acceptance of the current situation isn’t optional.

Right now, the future is uncertainty. First things first ... get some semblance of a season in the books.

It surprises me but I don't feel strongly either way. Practice and qualifying stats are often useful for fantasy purposes, and they prop up the TV contract by providing some programming to the networks. But as noted, it appears the drivers can do a pretty good job without them (Stenhouse excluded, of course).

-IF- weekly practice is dropped, I'd like to see a return to allowing teams to test several times a year. I'd also like to see the scheduled non-competitive competition caution dropped. Start them with only half a tank, let the chiefs decide when they want to come in, and let them make all legal changes including tires and fueling.
I'll roll with this. I say cut practice down to 1 hour before qualifying, then happy 45-minutes after qualifying. BUT relax the testing requirements.

The wealthy teams will always out-four-post the poor teams. Taking practice away will not change that, adding practice will not change that.

Acceptance of the current situation isn’t optional.

Right now, the future is uncertainty. First things first ... get some semblance of a season in the books.

This discussion is not about NOW............ It's about what follows NOW.

what? you trying to make drama out of no practices that is a temporary condition? Does anybody but you think they will get rid of practices in the future?

A lot of people here seem to be in favor of just that.

A lot of people here seem to be in favor of just that.
What's a lot. I just went thru the whole thread and I didn't see a lot. I saw a tweet from drivers saying they didn't like practices and that is about it. I don't think the drivers come here. :idunno:

Last edited:
Well, I sure don't see to many people lamenting their absence, here or elsewhere. With the RTA's desire to cut expenses at every turn, NOTHING would shock me any more.

I've noticed you are SHOCKED a lot :biggrin: but like I said, I don't see anybody thinking they are not going to have practices in the future. :idunno:

We don't need 3 practices but I think they should have 1 practice session so stuff like what happened to Hamlin and Byron is less likely to happen.

I believe on the short weekends they have two practices and I believe they started that last year as part of a expense reduction . Trying to schedule only one practice with the unpredictable weather, short weekend schedule, conflicts with the other series that weekend I think they will stay with what they have when things get back to normal.

This discussion is not about NOW............ It's about what follows NOW.
Never get ahead of your skis. Especially at the front end of a deadly pandemic.

To me, practice or no practice hasn’t had a negative effect on the races run without it, Hamlin’s missing ballast retainer bolt notwithstanding.

Sure, but what did it have to do with what we were talking about?

Clouds are formed of moisture, but so what?
Just pointing out the fact that TV execs don't make a dime off of the gate. Sorry to pop your "oh if I were a rich TV man" bubble, carry on.

Just pointing out the fact that TV execs don't make a dime off of the gate. Sorry to pop your "oh if I were a rich TV man" bubble, carry on.
We weren't talking about the gate, we were talking about the attendance looks, but Formerjackman already pointed that out. I had no bubble to pop on any connection between attendance and exec profits, since it was never the subject.

We weren't talking about the gate, we were talking about the attendance looks, but Formerjackman already pointed that out. I had no bubble to pop on any connection between attendance and exec profits, since it was never the subject.
Sorry it was a bit over the head. TV doesn't make a dime on the gate. That is a fact. Your opinion on what a TV execs want or don't want about fans in the stands or not at the track is an opinion.

Sorry it was a bit over the head. TV doesn't make a dime on the gate. That is a fact. Your opinion on what a TV execs want or don't want about fans in the stands or not at the track is an opinion.
Agreed, but we never said one had anything to do with the other.

A full arena looks better on the tube, More people may watch if they think something is popular, and more viewers mean more ad money, profits, and exec pay.

Agreed, but we never said one had anything to do with the other.

A full arena looks better on the tube, More people may watch if they think something is popular, and more viewers mean more ad money, profits, and exec pay.
ya see I disagree. TV doesn't make a dime off of the crowd, they make it off of ratings. There isn't any way to tell if it gives others a warm fuzzy feeling looking at the stands. TV wants them to buy Grampaw's potion pills, or the lizard, or that really annoying emu

Back
Top Bottom