Pre-race: 102nd Running of the Indianapolis 500

It is going to be damned difficult for the I500 to put on a better show than the Lights just did.

The Mayor was in the pit stop contest. He was doing well , said he was hoping to
make his crew a few extra bucks. No spoiler in case you dvr'd it. I have not
seen the conclusion of it yet.

Roger Penske: Guarantee full-time IndyCar drivers starting spots in Indy 500
“As I look at it now,” the Hall of Fame team owner said, “with sponsors being so important and the teams building up for Indianapolis, and that really being the hallmark of probably your sponsorship running at Indy, it’s a real tough pill to take if you don’t make the race.”
“I think we need to step back and look at this and be sure that people who commit for a full season know they have a place in the Indy 500,” Penske said, “because the world has changed.”
https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2...e-indycar-drivers-starting-spots-in-indy-500/

Roger Penske: Guarantee full-time IndyCar drivers starting spots in Indy 500
“As I look at it now,” the Hall of Fame team owner said, “with sponsors being so important and the teams building up for Indianapolis, and that really being the hallmark of probably your sponsorship running at Indy, it’s a real tough pill to take if you don’t make the race.”
“I think we need to step back and look at this and be sure that people who commit for a full season know they have a place in the Indy 500,” Penske said, “because the world has changed.”
https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2...e-indycar-drivers-starting-spots-in-indy-500/
Maybe sell charters? :rolleyes:

That was the nuttiest race I've seen out of the IL-15. I don't think they changed anything on the car though?

Pissed that Kellett took Urrutia out of contention.

I'd love to see Helio, Graham, Marco, or Taku win on Sunday.

Geez, Kiante you sound just like me. :)

People ask me who I'm rootin' for. Or who do I think will win. Well, I'd love to see Marco win because he needs the win and the Andretti family is a really great family.

I'd love to see Graham or Joseph Newgarden win because I think they are really nice kids.

Helio? Sure I'd love to see him get his fourth win.

Will Power? Sure!! He's always done so well, an Indy win would be great for him.

Danica-babe?? Slobber- slobber!! Absolutely!! :D

It's hard for me to decide. I love 'em all!! Good luck to everyone!!

It's time for me to "declare" my rooting interest, which is unusually broad this year. I usually have one fav and 2 or 3 or 4 others I like, but not this year. By starting position...

Row 1
Ed Carpenter: Local boy, lives and breathes the 500, 3 poles. Hell Yeah!
Simon Pagenaud: A favorite of mine every IndyCar race, so... Hell Yeah!
Will Power: No. I don't like him, although I don't know why. I just don't.

Row 2
Josef Newgarden: IndyCar's next Helio or Sea Bass or Dixon. I like him a lot, but he has a lot of time. Yeah (but not yet Hell Yeah! for me).
Sebastien Bourdais: Hell Yeah! I mean just... Hell Yeah!

Row 3
Helio Castroneves: I've always liked Helio a lot, but he has 3 wins already, so... No. (Foyt, Unser, Mears, period.)
Scott Dixon: What a consummate pro. But he has a win, so... No. But I'm on the fence. I would be OK with a 2nd win.

Rows 4-11
Tony Kanaan: I've never cared for the big clown, and he has a win, so... No. (But I'd be happy at a win for AJ Foyt).
Marco Andretti: Someone check the dude's DNA. Does not drive like an Andretti. No.
Ryan Hunter-Reay: Has a win already, so... No.
Takuma Sato: Last year he was Hell Yeah! for me. Now he has a win, so... No.
Robert Wickens: Not yet, son, it ain't that easy.
JR Hildebrand: After 2011... Hell Yeah!
Graham Rahal: We know who wears the firesuit in the family. No.
Alexander Rossi: Has a win already, so... No.

Helio Castroneves: I've always liked Helio a lot, but he has 3 wins already, so... No. (Foyt, Unser, Mears, period.)
I'm sure at some point some fan said, "Foyt and Unser, period." I wouldn't mind seeing Spiderman climb the fence one more time.

Tony Kanaan: I've never cared for the big clown, and he has a win, so... No. (But I'd be happy at a win for AJ Foyt).
I didn't care about TK one way or the other until he won and said during the post-race interview, "Now they have to put my ugly face on that trophy!" :D

It's time for me to "declare" my rooting interest, which is unusually broad this year. I usually have one fav and 2 or 3 or 4 others I like, but not this year. By starting position...

Row 1
Ed Carpenter: Local boy, lives and breathes the 500, 3 poles. Hell Yeah!
Simon Pagenaud: A favorite of mine every IndyCar race, so... Hell Yeah!
Will Power: No. I don't like him, although I don't know why. I just don't.

Row 2
Josef Newgarden: IndyCar's next Helio or Sea Bass or Dixon. I like him a lot, but he has a lot of time. Yeah (but not yet Hell Yeah! for me).
Sebastien Bourdais: Hell Yeah! I mean just... Hell Yeah!

Row 3
Scott Dixon: What a consummate pro. But he has a win, so... No. But I'm on the fence. I would be OK with a 2nd win.

Rows 4-11
Marco Andretti: Someone check the dude's DNA. Does not drive like an Andretti. No.
Ryan Hunter-Reay: Has a win already, so... No.
Takuma Sato: Last year he was Hell Yeah! for me. Now he has a win, so... No.
Robert Wickens: Not yet, son, it ain't that easy.
JR Hildebrand: After 2011... Hell Yeah!
Graham Rahal: We know who wears the firesuit in the family. No.
Alexander Rossi: Has a win already, so... No.
Pretty much the same except I've always been a fan of Kanaan.

I think this is one of the more wide-open 500s in some time. No one really seems to have a grasp of the UAK18 here yet, except that it'll probably make it much harder to pass than any other 500 in the DW12 era - especially with forecasts calling for one of the hottest 500s on record.

I'm still slightly favoring Chevy though - namely Penske, ECR, and Foyt. Honda shouldn't be as far behind in race pace but still not on par.

Look for some good tips from the big racing fans over at Lifehacker / Gizmodo Media.

W12ZTBw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom