Pre-Race: 103rd Running of the Indianapolis 500

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Entry list (Kyle Kaiser and Oriol Servia have since been announced for the #32 and #77)

Full schedule

Much of the programming is behind the Gold paywall, so the actual TV schedule is:

May 18 5 p.m. Indy 500 Qualifying NBCSN

May 19 12 p.m. Indy 500 Qualifying NBC
3 p.m. Indy 500 Practice NBCSN

May 20 12 p.m. Indy 500 Practice NBCSN
6 p.m. IndyCar Live from the Indy 500 NBCSN

May 21 6 p.m. IndyCar Live from the Indy 500 NBCSN

May 22

May 23

May 24
11 a.m. Indy 500 Carb Day NBCSN
1 p.m. IndyLights – Firestone 100 NBCSN
2 p.m. Indy 500 Carb Day NBCSN

May 25
4 p.m. Indy 500 Parade NBCSN

May 26
9 a.m. Indy 500 Pre Race NBCSN
11 a.m. Indy 500 Pre Race NBC
12 p.m. Indianapolis 500 Race NBC
3:30 p.m. Indy 500 Post Race NBC
4 p.m. Indy 500 Post Race NBCSN

Timing should still be available throughout practice this week: https://racecontrol.indycar.com/

Yikes, $39.99 for NBC Sports Gold and there's no monthly option or option to cancel after the 500.

Is there an entry list for the Freedom 100?

Yikes, $39.99 for NBC Sports Gold and there's no monthly option or option to cancel after the 500.

Is there an entry list for the Freedom 100?
Yeah, some of the new TV deal was not fleshed out as well as it could've been IMO. I don't think they have any international streaming option for practice at all anymore, even. Compared to the YouTube/Facebook streams of the past.

I haven't seen a Freedom 100 entry list yet but at least Jarett Andretti and Chris Windom are competing as one-offs.

Yeah, some of the new TV deal was not fleshed out as well as it could've been IMO. I don't think they have any international streaming option for practice at all anymore, even. Compared to the YouTube/Facebook streams of the past.

I haven't seen a Freedom 100 entry list yet but at least Jarett Andretti and Chris Windom are competing as one-offs.

IndyCar Gold doesn't seem bad, $39.99 total isn't expensive, but they should allow payment options.

Sounds like a lot fans are very upset with NBC Sports/NTTIndycar for putting practice behind paywall and no way to watch in Europe.

You guys are on point with all your posts on news events at the track. Thanks for that.
These were a couple of big hits today. Alonso is a tough cookie. Glad he is ok. I still remember
him in a mangled wad of a car at I think it was at an Australian F1 opener a few years back.
2016 I think.

IndyCar Gold doesn't seem bad, $39.99 total isn't expensive, but they should allow payment options.
It's good for the ******* like me that goes out of their way to watch IndyCar practice from Detroit, but there needs to be something better in place for the Month of May, when the broader racing community wants to tune in and watch practice and qualifying. Matt Weaver and some other journos made some good points on this on Twitter earlier.

Sounds like a lot fans are very upset with NBC Sports/NTTIndycar for putting practice behind paywall and no way to watch in Europe.
NO international streaming option when Mark Miles is talking out his ass about racing in Abu Dhabi, Brazil, Australia, wherever, is absolutely inexcusable. Oh, don't forget about the international stars showing up either...I'm sure no one outside of America wants to follow Fernando Alonso's performance at Indy this week.

I can't wait until 2025 when NBC wants to go all-out and hold everyone hostage with an IndyCar Pass, a Supercross Pass, a NASCAR Pass...

It's good for the dipsh!t like me that goes out of their way to watch IndyCar practice from Detroit, but there needs to be something better in place for the Month of May, when the broader racing community wants to tune in and watch practice and qualifying. Matt Weaver and some other journos made some good points on this on Twitter earlier.

NO international streaming option when Mark Miles is talking out his ass about racing in Abu Dhabi, Brazil, Australia, wherever, is absolutely inexcusable. Oh, don't forget about the international stars showing up either...I'm sure no one outside of America wants to follow Fernando Alonso's performance at Indy this week.

I can't wait until 2025 when NBC wants to go all-out and hold everyone hostage with an IndyCar Pass, a Supercross Pass, a NASCAR Pass...

I would have preferred ABC/ESPN if Allen Bestwick was the announcer full time

need more HP. :confused:
They will have more HP tomorrow through Sunday. :D

Whenever the new engines debut - I'm not convinced they'll come in 2021 - I imagine the superspeedway power levels will still be kept in check to a larger degree. Indy, Texas, and Pocono are obviously already dangerous enough as is. The biggest difference will be on the short ovals and road courses/street circuits, I believe.

This NBC Sports Gold isn't the answer.

One of the things that got me addicted to the Indy 500 was coming home from school and watching Indy 500 practice on ESPN. Weeks of seeing that built up a spectacle and I was hooked on it. I'm kind of disappointed by NBC so far this year.

While I'm on it, I'm not on the "Bring back SPEED" thing because there are so many alternatives now ... but Daytona Speedweeks isn't the same with FS1.

If NBC Sports Gold carried all the races, it'd be a good deal. Instead, it's paying a crapton of money for practice and qualifying and still needing YouTubeTV for the races.

If they put the Olympics behind a paywall, I'm going to be pissed. America is the only country in the industrialized world that has to pay tons and tons of money to watch this stuff. Also, on top of paying significantly more than the rest of the world, we also get commercials that the rest of the world by and large doesn't have. Just like we have to pay tens of thousands a year for crappy healthcare.

Alonso's done 96 laps. Basically got the refresher program done, and hasn't run since early Wednesday. McLaren apparently don't know how to even put a DW12 together - the primary car that had all of the electrical gremlins on Tuesday was the car built at their base over in the UK. Now they lose a full day trying to put another car together. Not trying to be dramatic, but I think they're going to be pretty close to the bubble, if not squarely on it, come late Saturday.

https://racer.com/2019/05/16/mclaren-looking-to-rebound-after-serious-setback/

The three I will never forgot.
They cover it all. Great racing, loaded with all the raw glory and trajedy.
Words will never be enough to express the profoundness of it all....

The first link is from 1973. Forty six years ago and I still think about Swede Savage's wreck.

Alonso's done 96 laps. Basically got the refresher program done, and hasn't run since early Wednesday. McLaren apparently don't know how to even put a DW12 together - the primary car that had all of the electrical gremlins on Tuesday was the car built at their base over in the UK. Now they lose a full day trying to put another car together. Not trying to be dramatic, but I think they're going to be pretty close to the bubble, if not squarely on it, come late Saturday.

https://racer.com/2019/05/16/mclaren-looking-to-rebound-after-serious-setback/

smdh.....

It's good for the dipsh!t like me that goes out of their way to watch IndyCar practice from Detroit, but there needs to be something better in place for the Month of May, when the broader racing community wants to tune in and watch practice and qualifying. Matt Weaver and some other journos made some good points on this on Twitter earlier.

Exactly. It frankly makes sense to milk a niche fanbase with extra content throughout the season. But Indy and the month of May are different, and are the entire sport's best opportunity for wider exposure and growing the tent. They have to overcome this exclusive impulse for short-term $$$ and try to hook anyone who is curious.

Absolute last thing this team needed to happen is this. I’m not sure they’ll make it out for qualifying tomorrow.

And way too many of these wheels are coming loose. Tethers don’t seem to be helping this week.

Absolute last thing this team needed to happen is this. I’m not sure they’ll make it out for qualifying tomorrow.

And way too many of these wheels are coming loose. Tethers don’t seem to be helping this week.

Glad Kyle is okay first off. Juncos knew what he was getting himself into. I'm certain they have another tub prepped. At least, I hope they do. They have been fast all weekend.

Exactly. It frankly makes sense to milk a niche fanbase with extra content throughout the season. But Indy and the month of May are different, and are the entire sport's best opportunity for wider exposure and growing the tent. They have to overcome this exclusive impulse for short-term $$$ and try to hook anyone who is curious.

I really feel like NBC blew a huge opportunity here. I thought NBC would put more into this. I mean, nobody broadcasts major events better than NBC Sports. I expected to see at least some sort of practice coverage on NBCSN or something.

Have they been blowing it up on the NBC networks? I haven't actually watched any traditional television in weeks.

Back
Top Bottom