Predict Your Drivers Season

clarkfn2284

Here to make you miserable.
Simply put name your driver and predict his wins top 5's top 10's and where in the points he will finish. Does he make the new chase format? How does he do in the chase etc.

For me Im in a transition at driver. I was a Bobby Labonte fan, but all good things come to an end and well that was about 10 years ago.

I found myself tugged in the direction of Kyle Larson. Being a native Northern Californian and having the opportunity to see him win in the outlaws I have finally chosen my heir apparent.

Kyle Larson

1 win (on a short track somewhere like a richmond or martinsville)

2 top 5's

8 top 10's

somewhere between 17th and 20th in points

Eliminated after the challenger round of the chase

Ookay I'll give it a go

Joey Logano

2-3 Cup Wins

13 Top 5's

22 Top 10's

Matches or improves his 2013 finish of 8th in the standings but not better than 4th :eek:

Wins a non points race. (duel, shootout, all star, etc..)

See guys I can be reasonable :D

Jeff Gordon
3-4 wins
No finish outside top 10
Champion
Drive for 5 is alive!

Carl Edwards
Optimistic prediction
3 wins
14 top 5s
24 top 10s
Final four
Realistic prediction
1 win
8 top 5s
16 top 10s
Top 12(whatever that round is called)contender? Meh World NASCAR Federation has got me confused haha

Probably won't happen this way but whatever:
Harvick - 7 wins including the Daytona 500 & Brickyard 400, 19 top 5's, 27 top 10's, 5 poles. Starts season off with 2nd consecutive Bud Shootout win. Races special edition Bud Light Silver Bullet car in All Star race, starts on pole & leads all but final lap when the engine fails... Wins Championship by 4 pts over Jimmie Johnson.

Kyle Busch:
3 wins
9 top 5s
15 top 10's
Kyle will also engage in 5 face to face confrontations and have one physical encounter, luckily, being pulled away before the first blow is struck. While he will be in contention if not forced out by a blown engine. Kyle will exceed his on highway/back road speed record by 5 m.p.h. Kyle will NOT help big brother, Kurt, but will be challenged by him several times in the course of the year.
Finally, Kyle will be NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion, 2014.

Kyle Busch:
3 wins
9 top 5s
15 top 10's
Kyle will also engage in 5 face to face confrontations and have one physical encounter, luckily, being pulled away before the first blow is struck. While he will be in contention if not forced out by a blown engine. Kyle will exceed his on highway/back road speed record by 5 m.p.h. Kyle will NOT help big brother, Kurt, but will be challenged by him several times in the course of the year.
Finally, Kyle will be NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion, 2014.

This....except for the blown engine.

Kyle Busch
6 wins
Cup championship
At least 25 combined wins in the TOP 3 divisions

Eh, why not?

Mark Martin: 7 races, one top ten. Obviously, he says he's done now, but I won't believe it until someone gets hurt and they give him a call.

Obviously, I hope this prediction is wrong, because it would require somebody getting hurt. But with the new concussion testing alongside the general nature of racing, there might be a greater need for substitutes.

Now to worry about finding a full-time driver to root for...

Tony Stewart
Wins:2
Top 5's: 10
Top 10's: 18
finishes 10th-12th in the points standings

new CC.... co-owns a 4 car team..still recovering from his leg injury..i think theres just a little to much on his plate this year for tony to be a championship contender..hope he proves me wrong though...

Jimmie Johnson

Wins: 6
Top 5's: 17
Top 10's: 25
Ends up being in the Final 4, championship unforeseeable :D

Eh, why not?

Mark Martin: 7 races, one top ten. Obviously, he says he's done now, but I won't believe it until someone gets hurt and they give him a call.

Obviously, I hope this prediction is wrong, because it would require somebody getting hurt. But with the new concussion testing alongside the general nature of racing, there might be a greater need for substitutes.

Now to worry about finding a full-time driver to root for...
If your boy Mark steals a win he's in!!

Yes. Found it.

Q. If a driver checks Sprint Cup Series as his series that he’s scoring points in, does he have to run a full schedule? Or if he removes himself from competition for medical reasons as Dale Jr. did a couple years ago, is he still eligible for the Chase by winning a race?

MIKE HELTON: Yes, a driver has to participate in all the championship races in order to be eligible for the championship. There is a medical exception that could be made, but that doesn’t assure that if that eligibility gets extended because of the timing of when it may or may not happen or how long the medical issue may exist. So these are the things that we’ll be able to answer later on in one-on-ones with all the specific details around it. But that is the answer for now.

From HERE

I assume that means they can't make the chase.

Bobby Labonte

No wins

No top 5's

1 Top 10

28th in points

I think Kurt is going to surprise everyone this year.

That was last year. Considering his ability and the equipment he's in this year it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if Kurt does well.

Not expecting much from the 24 this year. Maybe a win or two. I expect him to be fairly competitive. Basically the same as the last couple years.

More interested in how Larson does this year than Gordon to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Found it.

Q. If a driver checks Sprint Cup Series as his series that he’s scoring points in, does he have to run a full schedule? Or if he removes himself from competition for medical reasons as Dale Jr. did a couple years ago, is he still eligible for the Chase by winning a race?

MIKE HELTON: Yes, a driver has to participate in all the championship races in order to be eligible for the championship. There is a medical exception that could be made, but that doesn’t assure that if that eligibility gets extended because of the timing of when it may or may not happen or how long the medical issue may exist. So these are the things that we’ll be able to answer later on in one-on-ones with all the specific details around it. But that is the answer for now.

From HERE

I assume that means they can't make the chase.

Mike sure is ambiguous. He never mentions regular season races, as if there are still 36 championship races.

lol well they earn championship points in them don't they? not sure why anymore... to keep track of who doesn't have wins yet? lol

My understanding is they spend 26 races earning eligibility points and wins to get a spot in the championship rounds, at which time points and wins are erased. Then they spend 3 races earning championship points and wins to get to the next round, at which time points and wins are again erased, along with 4 contenders. They do this 2 more times, erasing contenders, points and wins each time.

Finally, the championship is decided by which of the four contenders finishes first in the one and only championship race, so it doesn't involve points at all.

Both will do well.
But One is a rookie and one will Kick Ass
hg.jpg

My understanding is they spend 26 races earning eligibility points and wins to get a spot in the championship rounds, at which time points and wins are erased. Then they spend 3 races earning championship points and wins to get to the next round, at which time points and wins are again erased, along with 4 contenders. They do this 2 more times, erasing contenders, points and wins each time.

Finally, the championship is decided by which of the four contenders finishes first in the one and only championship race, so it doesn't involve points at all.

It actually does because they have to be in the top 30 and unless you have 16 different race winners all in the top 30 in points after 26 races it goes to points. So if youe have 10 winners then there is still 6 spots left for the 6 best in points without wins.....if I understand that correctly.

It actually does because they have to be in the top 30 and unless you have 16 different race winners all in the top 30 in points after 26 races it goes to points. So if youe have 10 winners then there is still 6 spots left for the 6 best in points without wins.....if I understand that correctly.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's it.. I don't think winner outside the top 30 are eligible.. and they only said the points leader but I think they meant to say leaderS.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's it.. I don't think winner outside the top 30 are eligible.. and they only said the points leader but I think they meant to say leaderS.
The points leader is guaranteed in regardless of how many race winners there are. If there are any more spots left after all of the race winners and the points leader, they run down the rest of the points standings.

So points do matter with the exception of the final race. Points can play a factor in qualifying for the chase and advancing round by round presuming there arent three different chase contenders winning that rounds races.

I know, but like I said....

Finally, the championship is decided by which of the four contenders finishes first in the one and only championship race, so [the round that decides the championship] doesn't involve points at all.

I know, but like I said....

The chase before the changes was the same with the exception of the final race being a glorified shootout. The drivers spent all 26 races trying to accumulate points to qualify for the chase. Wins are obviously the goal of every race, but that doesnt always come to fruition.

I guess I dont mind that much that the final four race once to decide the Champion. They all would have earned it and for the most part the cream rises to the top anyways in those types of situations. Now if the Final four finsh 13th/17th/21st/34th in the final race that will look odd, but the odds of that being the case just arent that realistc.

The chase before the changes was the same with the exception of the final race being a glorified shootout. The drivers spent all 26 races trying to accumulate points to qualify for the chase. Wins are obviously the goal of every race, but that doesnt always come to fruition.

I guess I dont mind that much that the final four race once to decide the Champion. They all would have earned it and for the most part the cream rises to the top anyways in those types of situations. Now if the Final four finsh 13th/17th/21st/34th in the final race that will look odd, but the odds of that being the case just arent that realistc.

You missed my point. Helton called them championship points, and they aren't. Did football and baseball teams score championship points during the regular season? no.

You can no longer win the Sprint cup based on points. Brian said so.

You missed my point. Helton called them championship points, and they aren't. Did football and baseball teams score championship points during the regular season? no.

You can no longer win the Sprint cup based on points. Brian said so.

So basically the issue is that at the end of the day the final race is determining the Champion. Not the points system? I would prefer it that way I guess. Too many times we have seen the points battles not be relavant in race 36 or the odds so stacked against the 2nd and 3rd place cars that it is uninteresting.

Football and Baseball earn the right to compete for the Championship just like a Cup driver will now. I dont see anything wrong with that.

So basically the issue is that at the end of the day the final race is determining the Champion. Not the points system? I would prefer it that way I guess. Too many times we have seen the points battles not be relavant in race 36 or the odds so stacked against the 2nd and 3rd place cars that it is uninteresting.

Football and Baseball earn the right to compete for the Championship just like a Cup driver will now. I dont see anything wrong with that.

Yes.

Points racing and test racing for the chase was killing the show. I always hoped the importance of the championship would be reduced so more guys would fight for wins, I just didn't think they would delegitimize it.

Basically, I no longer give a sheet about the championship and wont watch the banquet. If the racing actually improves because of these changes, I'll be happy.

Back
Top Bottom