Race pics and experiences

Since it's Dover Week and we lost this thread. Though I would post a Dover pic each day.

image.jpg

My 1st race back in June of 2007. Saw Truex's 1st win, but sadly was the day Bill France Jr pasted, I remember them announcing over the loudspeaker. I believe where I sat that day the seats are not longer there. Also believe that hat is still around somewhere

I wasn't sure where else to put this, but the story behind it said to put it here.

Been waiting on this guy to get here since Christmas (delayed gift). I always told myself the day I ever got to see Jeff Gordon win in person would be the day I purchased a raced-win diecast so that I could have that extra piece of sentimental memorabilia as a cool reminder. Well, I was one of the many fortunate folks to be on hand at Martinsville in the fall to see his last win, and my first, in 2 decades worth of going to races. This thing is unreal in terms of the detail they put into them. Add in the little bag of confetti they send you and it really is awesome. This will spend some time on my desk at work as a nice little conversation piece for a while and then I'll probably move it to a case. Just wanted to share.

20160514_172603.jpg

I wasn't sure where else to put this, but the story behind it said to put it here.

Been waiting on this guy to get here since Christmas (delayed gift). I always told myself the day I ever got to see Jeff Gordon win in person would be the day I purchased a raced-win diecast so that I could have that extra piece of sentimental memorabilia as a cool reminder. Well, I was one of the many fortunate folks to be on hand at Martinsville in the fall to see his last win, and my first, in 2 decades worth of going to races. This thing is unreal in terms of the detail they put into them. Add in the little bag of confetti they send you and it really is awesome. This will spend some time on my desk at work as a nice little conversation piece for a while and then I'll probably move it to a case. Just wanted to share.

View attachment 18986
That is awesome!

View attachment 18986

Good job! It means twice as much when you are there for the win.

Had another great day at Dover yesterday. Left for the track around 7, as living around a hour away makes it the perfect drive. Never had sat in Turn 3 before yesterday, but I have to say it is a really great seat, and for 50 bucks and General Admission, it makes it better. Wasn't that cold tempature wise, but the high winds made it colder. Once Harvick lost the lead, it became a better race and having a bunch of different leaders was great too. Thought Brad or Truex would have a chance to win, but Brad's car got messed up by Dillion which made me mad as I just thinking before it happened, if a caution came out it would be Perfect for Brad but it wasn't to be. I was rooting hard for Chase and Larson at the end since I'm not really at Fan of Kenseth since he went to Gibbs, but I had no problem with him winning as he deserved a win and I hadn't seen him win before in person. The past two races I have been to (Dover and Darlington) have been some of the best races I have been to and it's all due to the package. I thought it was a pretty good crowd yesterday, best in a couple years, and even thought there were empty seats, it still is a large gathering of people. All in all, a great day. Can't wait to go again :)

It's gonna be one heck of a time when they come back during the chase that's for sure.

Had another great day at Dover yesterday. Left for the track around 7, as living around a hour away makes it the perfect drive. Never had sat in Turn 3 before yesterday, but I have to say it is a really great seat, and for 50 bucks and General Admission, it makes it better. Wasn't that cold tempature wise, but the high winds made it colder. Once Harvick lost the lead, it became a better race and having a bunch of different leaders was great too. Thought Brad or Truex would have a chance to win, but Brad's car got messed up by Dillion which made me mad as I just thinking before it happened, if a caution came out it would be Perfect for Brad but it wasn't to be. I was rooting hard for Chase and Larson at the end since I'm not really at Fan of Kenseth since he went to Gibbs, but I had no problem with him winning as he deserved a win and I hadn't seen him win before in person. The past two races I have been to (Dover and Darlington) have been some of the best races I have been to and it's all due to the package. I thought it was a pretty good crowd yesterday, best in a couple years, and even thought there were empty seats, it still is a large gathering of people. All in all, a great day. Can't wait to go again :)
:cheers:

phpOD1tY7PM.jpg

This was Pocono this morning at about 10AM. I doubt it looks much different now. Figured today would be a washout but drove over anyway. My wife couldn't go tomorrow, or son and his friend either so we rolled the dice and hoped for the best. We live about 125 mi west of the track, not a killer ride. The weather on the way over was actually fine, and we were pretty encouraged but once we started climbing up out of Berwick the fog and steady mist/drizzle took over and it was pretty obvious we weren't going to race today.

Still sat in the car till after 12, hoping for some good news but wasn't to be. At that point I decided to bail and sit out closer to the interstate and wait for word on Sirius. Figured the track emptying out would be a zoo when they announced the postponement. That worked out pretty well, at least. Drove right out.
phpfcZuOHPM.jpg

Wet as it was, it was windy and pretty chilly too. Just an ugly race day. One more pic, I have others
phpvD3eVBPM.jpg
but you get the idea.....

View attachment 19288

This was Pocono this morning at about 10AM. I doubt it looks much different now. Figured today would be a washout but drove over anyway. My wife couldn't go tomorrow, or son and his friend either so we rolled the dice and hoped for the best. We live about 125 mi west of the track, not a killer ride. The weather on the way over was actually fine, and we were pretty encouraged but once we started climbing up out of Berwick the fog and steady mist/drizzle took over and it was pretty obvious we weren't going to race today.

Still sat in the car till after 12, hoping for some good news but wasn't to be. At that point I decided to bail and sit out closer to the interstate and wait for word on Sirius. Figured the track emptying out would be a zoo when they announced the postponement. That worked out pretty well, at least. Drove right out. View attachment 19291

Wet as it was, it was windy and pretty chilly too. Just an ugly race day. One more pic, I have othersView attachment 19292 but you get the idea.....

That sucks, I'm sorry.

That sucks, I'm sorry.

Ah, it's all part of the game, mate. I've seen dozens of races there. I do feel bad a little for the one kid, it was only his 2nd trip to Pocono. He said "Hey I'm going to Dover in the fall" so he didn't take it too hard either.

Ah, it's all part of the game, mate. I've seen dozens of races there. I do feel bad a little for the one kid, it was only his 2nd trip to Pocono. He said "Hey I'm going to Dover in the fall" so he didn't take it too hard either.

When I've been to races on the east coast, I always clear my schedule the following Monday, just in case. Lol

Good attitude about it.

When I've been to races on the east coast, I always clear my schedule the following Monday, just in case. Lol

Good attitude about it.
Me too, and I have tomorrow off but I'm not going myself.

I have fantasies of a steep bleacher arrangement that straddles 2 and the pits cut the corner like they do at tri-ovals. Pocono is fine for speed shots but they get going fast out of the Long Pond strip as well. So much action 2/3 mile away from the grandstand at Pocono. I got used to it but just thinking outside the box.

Great 1st day at Michigan. Probably one of the best facilities I have been to, very well done. Sat down near the Restart zone today, and it was a pretty good. Found a great vintage Ricky Rudd shirt over at the tents for 3 dollars, will post a picture soon. The ARCA race was pretty good, good battle for the 1st part of the race between Chase Briscoe and Brandon Jones. All in all a great long day, and tomorrow should be just as good.

Great 1st day at Michigan. Probably one of the best facilities I have been to, very well done. Sat down near the Restart zone today, and it was a pretty good. Found a great vintage Ricky Rudd shirt over at the tents for 3 dollars, will post a picture soon. The ARCA race was pretty good, good battle for the 1st part of the race between Chase Briscoe and Brandon Jones. All in all a great long day, and tomorrow should be just as good.

The Rudd tshirt is a great catch! I feel like it's from either 1993 or 1994. Something about the t-bird style as well as the bright colors.

I loved Michigan when I went to the August race in 2003 and 2004! I've always wanted to go back! Especially now that seating capacity has been reduced and the facility is once again "opened up". That part of Michigan is really nice!

I ordered my ticket for Kentucky today! I'm stoked to see my first night face since the 2002 Pepsi 400.

Another great day at Michigan. Was able to get a couple good 1:24 die-casts for 10 dollars: a 2000 Steve Park and 2001 Ricky Rudd 9/11 car. Sat past the start finish line today near the end of pit road, a pretty good seat. The Xfinity race was pretty good, very good in the beginning and ending parts of the race, the middle part of the race where Kyle pulled away was bad. Glad to see Suraez finally win, and pretty cool to see the 1st win of a maybe future great. Was also able to get 18 holes of golf at a course near where we are staying, a tough course, didn't play very well, but I really liked the course. Can't wait until tomorrow.

I have fantasies of a steep bleacher arrangement that straddles 2 and the pits cut the corner like they do at tri-ovals. Pocono is fine for speed shots but they get going fast out of the Long Pond strip as well. So much action 2/3 mile away from the grandstand at Pocono. I got used to it but just thinking outside the box.

I've grown to like Pocono's setup. While I'll never argue that it's ideal I do believe it works in a different way. First, Pocono is a quirky place. It's like no track on the circuit which I think is awesome. Everything about the place is different. Hell, parking is still free!! There's plenty of goods seats given the size of the track. I can see the entire track (it is tough through the short straight due to campers) from my seats towards turn 1 (June race) and near turn 3 (July race).. Watching the care flare out down the front straight is cool is as hell. So is watching the speed they carry into Turn 1 and down the Long Pond straight. I think the way the seats are now really gives you an idea how big of a facility it is. I've been to Daytona and Pocono feels bigger because of the flat turns.

The main issue with the current grandstand is the seats go out more than go up, the slope is a little to shallow. It's a little bit like watching a race at the Rose Bowl. Given the enormous size of it I doubt it'll ever change...

On the way back from Michigan now. Third day at Michigan was great. Got autographs from Regan Smith and Rusty Wallace, picture of me and rusty in the pre-race thread, but I will post it here. I thought the race itself was pretty good for Michigan standards, lots of passing of the straights. Wish Chase would have won, but I was happy with Logano winning too. Thought Brad would have had a chance if he didn't he shuffled back because he had a pretty fast car. I thought Jr would have a good chance after being 4th in practice, but that speed never came back, starting to wonder if I will ever see him win in person. The whole weekend was great, and would love to go back to Michigan. Will post pics within a couple days

On the way back from Michigan now. Third day at Michigan was great. Got autographs from Regan Smith and Rusty Wallace, picture of me and rusty in the pre-race thread, but I will post it here. I thought the race itself was pretty good for Michigan standards, lots of passing of the straights. Wish Chase would have won, but I was happy with Logano winning too. Thought Brad would have had a chance if he didn't he shuffled back because he had a pretty fast car. I thought Jr would have a good chance after being 4th in practice, but that speed never came back, starting to wonder if I will ever see him win in person. The whole weekend was great, and would love to go back to Michigan. Will post pics within a couple days
I didn't see your pic of you and Rusty yet, but I gotta ask, what resolution did you have your camera set at to allow for Rusty's head to fit within the borders of the pic? Just joking..... Glad to read you had a good time.

Reactions: Bob
I've grown to like Pocono's setup. While I'll never argue that it's ideal I do believe it works in a different way. First, Pocono is a quirky place. It's like no track on the circuit which I think is awesome. Everything about the place is different. Hell, parking is still free!!

The beauty of an independent operation. They can do what THEY want, whatever is going to work for the fan and the business. As an example, I won a few tickets for one of the Cup races this year, and I already had tickets for both. I called and asked them if I could exchange for Indy tickets, as I've never been to an Indy race and they swapped them no problem. They're a very easy outfit to deal with and yes, they are in business to make money like anybody but they don't seem hell bent on trying to shake down the fans for every penny they can.

Played our traditional NASCAR game for $5 a head. I drew Blaney and Keselowski as my picks. Yep, it was my weekend to take home $105. Brad was my favorite driver for a few hours there Saturday night.

Got on here to read all of the negative posts about the race and race coverage. Me, I didn't even notice that i wasn't supposed to like it. I had one helluva time. Finished the race up by setting off some illegal fireworks after consuming more than my share of adult beverages. Counted my fingers and toes in the morning and came out with the correct number so I guess I did okay. Can't wait for the next one!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

We had a large time at Daytona COKE ZERO 400 and Exfinity Fire Cracker 250. Stayed at the beach from Wednesday to Monday the 4th, beach weather was perfect every day. Weather was iffy inland at times but it actually turned out wonderful. We were in the Fan Zone on Friday for qualifying and had a short time of lightning issues, but, no rain, real close but it stayed away, cloud cover came in and by Exfinity race time it was in the high 70's, sweet. For the Cup race it rained like a like a cow peeing on a flat rock, cleared up, they put 21 AIR TITANS to work and a bunch of jet dryers and in no time the track was ready, temps in the 70's with a light breeze and a remarkable sunset, perfect racing weather.Our seats are section 362 Row 9, one of the Jumbo Tron's was directly across from our seats and no one sits in front of us, just a retaining fence then down to next level, our seats are great. Daytona Int Speedway has done one hell of a job making it fan friendly, the escalators are the cats ass. The races were great live, as always, the sound and smell of 40 bad ass hotrods LIVE at 200MPH is always awesome. I will post some picts below. Hope you all enjoy.

20160218_142638_resized_1.jpg
20160702_195024_resized.jpg
20160701_140703_resized.jpg
20160701_212823_resized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom