Race pics and experiences

Losing this thread was painful.

Post your pics and race experiences here.
Yes it is. Maybe most people will put it back up. I'll try to re-post some of my stuff if I can remember it all.

image.jpg

Whoops! My Tapatalk isn't working and had to use my phone with regular site.
Very big.

Of these three is attending their first NASCAR race. Can you guess which one? Take a kid to a race and this is what you see. Heck, take an adult for the first time and this is what you'll see.

This pic is from Dover's June 2003 race. The bookends are mine. The one in the center is their cousin attending his first NASCAR race. That smile probably lasted a week. The one on the right saw his driver, Ryan Newman, win the pole and the race that weekend. The one in the center saw his driver, Jeff Gordon, come in 2nd that weekend. My daughter saw her driver come in 3rd and got his autograph after a long wait in line at the souvenir haulers.

Just one of many great weekends at a race that I'll always remember.

DSCF0047.JPG

Of these three is attending their first NASCAR race. Can you guess which one? Take a kid to a race and this is what you see. Heck, take an adult for the first time and this is what you'll see.

This pic is from Dover's June 2003 race. The bookends are mine. The one in the center is their cousin attending his first NASCAR race. That smile probably lasted a week. The one on the right saw his driver, Ryan Newman, win the pole and the race that weekend. The one in the center saw his driver, Jeff Gordon, come in 2nd that weekend. My daughter saw her driver come in 3rd and got his autograph after a long wait in line at the souvenir haulers.

Just one of many great weekends at a race that I'll always remember.

View attachment 18566
Awesome! What ages? I began attending races with my dad when I was 8, 21 years later I got to see my guy win so that's awesome he got to witness that so early on. And that's pretty cool they all happened to go 1, 2, 3.

Also, heck of a shirt choice by that big guy in the middle ;)

Awesome! What ages? I began attending races with my dad when I was 8, 21 years later I got to see my guy win so that's awesome he got to witness that so early on. And that's pretty cool they all happened to go 1, 2, 3.

Also, heck of a shirt choice by that big guy in the middle ;)
In that pic my son would have been 8 years old and my daughter just over 5 years old. I think that the spring Bristol race would have been her first that year. His had been a few years earlier. I'm pretty sure that their cousin was 7 at the time. These days my son is getting ready to start his 3rd year of college and my daughter will be starting her 1st year of college this fall.

That's a helluva trifecta right there. That boy in the middle has a grin like Senior.

images

Putting up some pics from our spring Martinsville trip.

Not too bad of a parking spot. Great place to tailgate from leading up to the race. Took another couple with us this spring so they were more interested in heading over to the Fan Zone.

DSC06931.jpg

Looking west out towards the main entrance. Still pretty early but a lot of people arriving.

DSC06935.jpg

I don't remember what they call that game but that one is big. Man Size Big.

DSC06942.jpg

First stop down at the bottom of that hill. Drank a lot of coffee that morning.

DSC06945.jpg

Port-O-John Alley. What a relief!

DSC06949.jpg

Souvenir shopping in hell. I heard the word ridiculous uttered many times over as I rubbed elbows, backsides and other body parts in the small isles.

DSC06967.jpg

Believe me, these pics do not do the crowded spaces justice.

DSC06968.jpg

I wish that I had taken pics of some of the merchandise that had fallen onto the asphalt allowing for hordes of people to casually use it as throw rugs. But, I was a little too busy just trying to stay out of peoples way.

DSC06969.jpg

Finally broke free of the Jr. area. On to the checkout line to wait again.

DSC06971.jpg

Finally getting close to one of the many checkout registers. They really need to put those little signs up like at the amusement park..... From this point your wait should be no longer than 20 minutes.....

DSC06974.jpg

No, it's not really that bad. It's just that you have to fight the masses in the tents, waiting your turn to see merchandise only to have to wait again to get the heck outta there. Some people like that kind of thing. Some people like Black Friday too.

Wait..... Someone's holding a flag up. My turn to check out.

DSC06978.jpg

Wow, got through there. Now it's time to be patted down to make sure I'm not a thief.

DSC06981.jpg

Let's head to the track. Getting close to driver intros.....

The walk from just outside the front straight heading over towards turn #1. Down hill, up hill, down hill, up hill and finally a climb to our seats. It's a wonder that they were able to make this a flat track. It's the only flat area in Virginia best I can tell. Again, pics do not do this justice.

DSC07012.jpg

Through the gate and under the turn #1 terrace seats.

DSC07017.jpg

Let's see what'll I have? Two dogs loaded please! $4, I'm good with that.

DSC07019.jpg

Took a pic of the media contingent of haulers behind the turn #1-2 terrace on my way up. The cooler is heavy. I had to take a break. Thankfully it is not nearly as heavy on the way back out. Anyhow, a lot of $'s sitting right there.

DSC07020.jpg

People heading in from the south parking area. And, no, those aren't all empty spots. Some of those slopes a rope harness and repelling system would be needed to traverse. Again, pics do not do some things justice.

DSC07021.jpg

That's the heliport over there in the background. Drivers come and go from there. Me too when that lottery retirement plan kicks in.

DSC07022.jpg

My first view of he track on race day as I head out from behind the terrace seats.....

What a beautiful sight it is. The absolute best track in NASCAR. Lot's of memories of this place.....

DSC07024.jpg

Turning left to head over to my seat location. Go as far as you can and take a left. Go up a few steps to get to the final destination for my cooler. Finally. Damn that thing gets heavy.

That black stuff that we walk on there is really spongy rubber of some sort. I'm guessing to cut down on the noise for the people in the suites below us. In any case, it feels somewhat weird to walk on.

DSC07026.jpg

The view from my seat location. I've sat all around this venue and finally found the right seat. Great view of the entire track in front of me along with the race on and off of pit road. I think I left that pic bi so that you can get a better idea of our view. Just click it.

DSC07028.jpg

There are those pesky pit cameras. The ones that replaced the many officials on pit road. This small bank of them cover some of the pit action from our side of pit road. I wonder what would happen if I place some tape on those things? Hmm

DSC07030.jpg

DSC07031.jpg
DSC07032.jpg
DSC07033.jpg
DSC07034.jpg

Nope, no pics of race cars and the like. Just trying to give some of the experience from in and around the track.
I'll pull out some of last years trip down to the garage area another day so some can see how the infield is there.

If you haven't been to Martinsville, do yourself a favor and spend the $'s to go. It's a great track with still a little of old school feel to it. You won't be sorry.

Putting up some pics from our spring Martinsville trip.

Not too bad of a parking spot. Great place to tailgate from leading up to the race. Took another couple with us this spring so they were more interested in heading over to the Fan Zone.

View attachment 18607

Looking west out towards the main entrance. Still pretty early but a lot of people arriving.

View attachment 18608

I don't remember what they call that game but that one is big. Man Size Big.

View attachment 18609

First stop down at the bottom of that hill. Drank a lot of coffee that morning.

View attachment 18610

Port-O-John Alley. What a relief!

View attachment 18611

I love parking lot pics. They give everyone a feel for what the experience at that track is like. 2 thumbs up.

Well, when you do decide to go, you know where to find me. I'll be sitting right where I showed ya. Just give me a little heads up so I carry in a heavier cooler. :cool:

You have given me a perfect picture of what it is like to be at Martinsville. Love it!

Glad to see the pictures are back. Sad we lost so many of the others. Keep them coming. The shots of Martinsville reminded me of a trip there in 1988 when I drove my new Dakota and parked across from where DPK parked. I found many pictures of the Winston Cup and Busch Series while going through my things in preparation of relocating. Problem is, I left my scanner in Florida so cannot post them. At the time, I had a garage pass and took numerous photos. Will try to post them once we sell our home in NC and relocate.

Glad you like. Most people probably want to see the cars but we all see those each and every week. Just wanted to give some behind the scenes experience.

Fantastic pics - can see why you love the place so much!

Fantastic pics - can see why you love the place so much!
That I do. No other track on the schedule produces the quality of racing that is seen @ Martinsville on a consistent basis. If you haven't been there and it's within your means, buy a ticket. You'll walk out of that place with a smile on your face every time.

That I do. No other track on the schedule produces the quality of racing that is seen @ Martinsville on a consistent basis. If you haven't been there and it's within your means, buy a ticket. You'll walk out of that place with a smile on your face every time.

Great stuff. Well I am travelling over next year for a couple races - after the schedule was released I now know that it will be for Autoclub and Martinsville (bar any hickups) so seeing these photos makes me smile a lot.

Back
Top Bottom