Rain tires at short tracks???

If it works they will expand. I’ll lie here dreaming of dega in the rain

Doesn’t sound like it’s actually for rain, but for coming out of a delay at varying degrees of moisture in the track. Probably a worthwhile test if they can manage to cut 30-60 minutes off of some delays. I’m sure the networks would appreciate it.

Doesn’t sound like it’s actually for rain, but for coming out of a delay at varying degrees of moisture in the track. Probably a worthwhile test if they can manage to cut 30-60 minutes off of some delays. I’m sure the networks would appreciate it.
More of a damp weather tire. But it’s a short step....

Just pointing out the date on Thursday

More of a damp weather tire. But it’s a short step....
Which still gives you the opportunity for teams to gamble on when to cross over to slicks, so it sounds good to me. It’s more practical than trying to run in a downpour but much better than standing around on pit road waiting for a perfectly dry track.

Which still gives you the opportunity for teams to gamble on when to cross over to slicks, so it sounds good to me. It’s more practical than trying to run in a downpour but much better than standing around on pit road waiting for a perfectly dry track.
or run in a light mist, a few puddles, etc. I like it!

They said they had a chance to run in a downpour the day before but waited until they could control the conditions. Like others have said, it sure looks like they are working on an intermediate tire. For smaller tracks only. Ya know the fans will be squalling for it on the larger tracks.

Thursday, April 1st...
1617221980883.png

They said they had a chance to run in a downpour the day before but waited until they could control the conditions. Like others have said, it sure looks like they are working on an intermediate tire. For smaller tracks only. Ya know the fans will be squalling for it on the larger tracks.
squalling? is that OK term?

Imagine if the test was during a moisture event...
You mean like in real life?

Start on slicks on a decent day ... short burst of rain ... put intermediates on ... run 3 laps and a downpour ensues. Moisture event.

I'm all for it and I do believe there will be an expansion from just a moisture scenario.

The usual naysayers will poo poo the idea as bad as Dave Moody but when it comes to fruition they will be on board.
It's a scene that plays out like Groundhog Day around here.

It’s worth a test with the new technology. “We can’t do this we tested it 25 years ago” or “we’ve always done it this way so we will always do it this way” are not good arguments for not racing in the rain on ovals.

I think places like Martinsville, New Hampshire, Richmond, and Phoenix are good starts to make attempts. Then they can work on higher speed tracks like Indy and Pocono. Obviously these are flatter tracks and more work would have to be done with places with higher banking.

The good news is when they raced in the rain at the Charlotte roval, many drivers were surprised at the grip they had on the big banked turn.

They’re getting there and tests like this one only get the sport closer.

stupid question is it raining there today in Martinsville to allow for damp conditions?

I would rather wait for the dry race to be run instead of a watered down race on rain tires and I don't have a problem with rain delays so I'm not on the rain tire bandwagon. I actually enjoy when they interview the drivers and show some of the behind the scenes action even if it's just the crew sitting around in the garage area or in the drivers motorhome lot or in the fans camping grounds. But, as soon as they put on a rerun of an old race I turn the channel immediately and just check back in every half hour or so. I have never seen a rain delayed race that had even a fraction of the excitement level as a dry race does.

Most people don't wait as long as you do.

That sound you hear is network execs tearing their hair out. This is one reason why NASCAR needs to improve its ability to run in at least damp conditions.
I realize the majority of the new racing society we live in has a very short attention span and even less patience when it comes to things like rain delays... and I'm not saying it shouldn't be changed to keep those fans happy. But the product will be watered down and much less exciting imo. You can take the time to grill a nice delicious steak on the grill or you can throw it in the microwave and have it immediately... I think you know which one I'm going to choose. :)

Last edited:
Most people don't wait as long as you do.

That sound you hear is network execs tearing their hair out. This is one reason why NASCAR needs to improve its ability to run in at least damp conditions.
Yep expecting TV to shove all of their later programming aside is a nightmare I bet. Testing on a flat track is the worst case for the tires and traction/friction. If they work there they will work anywhere.

Yep expecting TV to shove all of their later programming aside is a nightmare I bet. Testing on a flat track is the worst case for the tires and traction/friction. If they work there they will work anywhere.
They have been doing it for years and they have done a pretty good job imo. That is why they get paid the big bucks.

Racing on rain tires is probably doable at Martinsville, New Hampshire, and maybe Richmond. Don't know about any of the banked tracks though.

Back
Top Bottom