Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Pic of the repaving project @ Texas.

C4B9tXhXAAILfnD.jpg:large

From Jayski...Oh boy...

Charlie Daniels in concert at Talladega: Talladega Superspeedway announced that legendary Southern rocker - Charlie Daniels - and The Charlie Daniels Band will perform as the headliner for the traditional Saturday Night Infield Concert, May 6, as part of the much-anticipated motorsports triple-header weekend, featuring the GEICO 500. The country rock legend and longtime NASCAR fan has been a household name since the 1970s. He is known for hits like "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," "Long Haired Country Boy," and "Uneasy Rider," but being a devoted fan of racing he even recorded a song about Talladega Superspeedway's all-time winner and one of his favorite drivers, Dale Earnhardt Sr. The song is titled "The Intimidator," which was inspired after Daniels and Earnhardt met for the first time at Talladega's Alabama 500 on Oct. 15, 2000, the last victory of the iconic driver's career. The Charlie Daniels Band will take to the stage for the 'Dega faithful inside NASCAR's "Party Capital" just off of historic Talladega Blvd. merely hours after a day of monumental racing with the Sparks Energy 300 NASCAR XFINITY Series race. Admission to the Saturday Night Concert is free with the purchase of a race ticket to Sunday's GEICO 500 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race.(TSS)(2-4-2017)

From Jayski...Oh boy...

Charlie Daniels in concert at Talladega: Talladega Superspeedway announced that legendary Southern rocker - Charlie Daniels - and The Charlie Daniels Band will perform as the headliner for the traditional Saturday Night Infield Concert, May 6, as part of the much-anticipated motorsports triple-header weekend, featuring the GEICO 500. The country rock legend and longtime NASCAR fan has been a household name since the 1970s. He is known for hits like "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," "Long Haired Country Boy," and "Uneasy Rider," but being a devoted fan of racing he even recorded a song about Talladega Superspeedway's all-time winner and one of his favorite drivers, Dale Earnhardt Sr. The song is titled "The Intimidator," which was inspired after Daniels and Earnhardt met for the first time at Talladega's Alabama 500 on Oct. 15, 2000, the last victory of the iconic driver's career. The Charlie Daniels Band will take to the stage for the 'Dega faithful inside NASCAR's "Party Capital" just off of historic Talladega Blvd. merely hours after a day of monumental racing with the Sparks Energy 300 NASCAR XFINITY Series race. Admission to the Saturday Night Concert is free with the purchase of a race ticket to Sunday's GEICO 500 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race.(TSS)(2-4-2017)
Ya know, I don't think anything tells new fans that NASCAR doesn't care about them like its choice of pre-race entertainment. Yeah, I know it's Talladega, and I know the tracks pick the acts, but it might help draw younger audiences if they booked someone who's had a hit in the last couple of decades.

Ya know, I don't think anything tells new fans that NASCAR doesn't care about them like its choice of pre-race entertainment. Yeah, I know it's Talladega, and I know the tracks pick the acts, but it might help draw younger audiences if they booked someone who's had a hit in the last couple of decades.
Lady Gaga was busy doing the Super Bowl.

I agree even though this is for the Saturday night infield party - I think we all know who goes to that at Talladega.

The Daytona 500 could benefit in a huge way by having different genres perform though.

I agree even though this is for the Saturday night infield party - I think we all know who goes to that at Talladega.

The Daytona 500 could benefit in a huge way by having different genres perform though.
Are you fellas advocating for the abandonment of the old-school fan base?

From Jayski...Oh boy...

He also has this on about racing I've liked ever since I heard it.

I guess I'm kind of the tweener fan, I'm 30 and have been following the sport for 22 years. I feel like I've seen enough of the "good" years of our sport to consider myself a throwback fan. While I love country music, I don't connect with a Charlie Daniels at all.

Nope, I'm suggesting bringing in some newer music. I'm unaware of any connection between the two.

It won't matter to me either way. I don't usually enter the track itself until roughly around driver intros, and never the infield.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/02...t-year/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

Jeff Gordon will be eligible to be voted into NASCAR Hall of Fame next year

Jeff Gordon will be eligible to be voted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame next year despite returning for eight races last season.

NASCAR Hall of Fame eligibility stipulate that a driver must be retired three years before being considered, which would have put Gordon on the ballot for the May 2018 vote before the four-time Cup series champion substituted for Dale Earnhardt Jr. last year.

NASCAR confirmed Tuesday that Gordon, who retired after the 2015 season from full-time competition, would be eligible for the Hall of Fame.

“Jeff’s eligibility status for the NASCAR Hall of Fame remains unchanged,” NASCAR spokesman Kurt Culbert said. “The unique situation in which he drove last year was as a substitute. As it stands, Jeff can be nominated in 2018 for the class of 2019.”

Gordon could become the first unanimous selection to the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Tony Stewart, who retired after last season, will be eligible for the May 2019 vote for the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/02...t-year/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

Jeff Gordon will be eligible to be voted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame next year despite returning for eight races last season.

NASCAR Hall of Fame eligibility stipulate that a driver must be retired three years before being considered, which would have put Gordon on the ballot for the May 2018 vote before the four-time Cup series champion substituted for Dale Earnhardt Jr. last year.

NASCAR confirmed Tuesday that Gordon, who retired after the 2015 season from full-time competition, would be eligible for the Hall of Fame.

“Jeff’s eligibility status for the NASCAR Hall of Fame remains unchanged,” NASCAR spokesman Kurt Culbert said. “The unique situation in which he drove last year was as a substitute. As it stands, Jeff can be nominated in 2018 for the class of 2019.”

Tony Stewart, who retired after last season, will be eligible for the May 2019 vote for the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
I hope he's working on his speech.

Earnhardt and Petty weren't unanimous?

Oh, look, another exception for Jeff. :rolleyes:
No, I don't think it's an exception. He did not return to full-time racing, only substituted 8 times. I certainly can't
see that was his full-time job. And I bet he didn't even consider HoF eligibility before he said "yes".
I'm sure he'll be elected -- if not unanimously, then darn near it.

No, I don't think it's an exception. He did not return to full-time racing, only substituted 8 times. I certainly can't
see that was his full-time job. And I bet he didn't even consider HoF eligibility before he said "yes".
I'm sure he'll be elected -- if not unanimously, then darn near it.
Substitution or not, he ran 8 races out of 36. That's over 20% of the season. How many would he have had to run to be declared 'active' again?

Yes, I'm sure he'll be admitted in his first year of eligibility, and he certainly deserves it. That certainty is why it wouldn't matter if he had to wait another year; he's in regardless. I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but it's certainly better business to admit Jeff in '19 and Tony in '20. That spreads out the attendance boosts over two years instead of one.

As to the choice of concert music at a track, to be perfectly honest, I've never gone to a track for the concert. I go for the racing.

Well nobody goes "for" the concert, but who doesn't like live music? It's a nice perk that you can get at a NASCAR race that sets them apart. Helps lessen the sting of some of these ticket prices.

Nope, I'm suggesting bringing in some newer music. I'm unaware of any connection between the two.

It won't matter to me either way. I don't usually enter the track itself until roughly around driver intros, and never the infield.

Aww come on. What other artist has a song called "The Intimidator" which opens with the lines "Talladega Alabama, hot day in the fall..."

Back
Top Bottom