Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

NASCAR wonders why attendance is severely down? Well if the first 26 races, are rendered essentially meaningless with an idiotic and asinine playoff system that **NOBODY ASKED FOR OR WANTED!!!**, certainly doesn't help the issue
It's been 14 years, its here it's not going anywhere I dont know why people feel the need to keep beating a dead horse.

NASCAR wonders why attendance is severely down? Well if the first 26 races, are rendered essentially meaningless with an idiotic and asinine playoff system that **NOBODY ASKED FOR OR WANTED!!!**, certainly doesn't help the issue
I don't think the championship format factors into anyone's decision to buy a race ticket.

The drivers are going to be racing just as hard, with the exception of MAYBE the cutoff race. Austin Dillon may not be doing very well but anyone who thinks the #3 team is cruising is mistaken. Do you really think Kyle Busch's fans are saying, "Ya know, he's already in the Chase. There's no point in getting Loudon tickets."

I don't think the championship format factors into anyone's decision to buy a race ticket.

The drivers are going to be racing just as hard, with the exception of MAYBE the cutoff race. Austin Dillon may not be doing very well but anyone who thinks the #3 team is cruising is mistaken. Do you really think Kyle Busch's fans are saying, "Ya know, he's already in the Chase. There's no point in getting Loudon tickets."
the main point I got out of the post is that the Chase has proven to be needless, it hasn't enhanced the numbers. Anybody can prove a point to almost anything under the sun using the lack of attendance to bolster their claim. They believe it I guess. But the black n white figures show the Chase isn't performing, and in a performance sport it needs to go IMO.

the main point I got out of the post is that the Chase has proven to be needless, it hasn't enhanced the numbers. Anybody can prove a point to almost anything under the sun using the lack of attendance to bolster their claim. They believe it I guess. But the black n white figures show the Chase isn't performing, and in a performance sport it needs to go IMO.
That was exactly the point I was going for

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That was exactly the point I was going for
Oh. I can get behind that completely. But now were back to my point, that the '90s and '00s were due to an unexplainable fad. There's nothing NASCAR can do to get those numbers back since they don't know what caused them in the first place, and it's a waste of resources to try. Breathe in, breathe out, move on.

I know the attendance numbers and TV ratings from the Boom era may never happen again, but at the same time, this sport shouldn't be in the state it's in where attendance gets worse and worse every year, pay drivers end up getting rides due to their funding (look I know it's a problem in all of racing, but there is no way in hell Ray Black Jr. should ever get a Cup ride, yet he somehow did, also, Danica Patrick had no business being in a Cup car either, yet she got one solely based on her GoDaddy sponsorship and her looks alone), defending champions still in their competitive prime get forced out of rides, (look at Matt Kenseth for this one) due to lack of sponsorship, something has got to change if NASCAR Cup Racing is ever going to be healthy again, to where NASCAR doesn't have to resort to stupid gimmicks in an attempt to increase attendance

Last edited:
I know the attendance numbers and TV ratings from the Boom era may never happen again, but at the same time, this sport shouldn't be in the state it's in where attendance gets worse and worse every year, pay drivers end up getting rides due to their funding (look I know it's a problem in all of racing, but there is no way in hell Ray Black Jr. should ever get a Cup ride, yet he somehow did, also, Danica Patrick had no business being in a Cup car either, yet she got one solely based on her GoDaddy sponsorship and her looks alone), defending champions still in their competitive prime get forced out of rides, (look at Matt Kenseth for this one) due to lack of sponsorship, something has got to change if NASCAR Cup Racing is ever going to be healthy again, to where NASCAR doesn't have to resort to stupid gimmicks in an attempt to increase attendance
It is the stupid gimmicks that are driving race fans away from the TV. The producers of the races are not race fans themselves and so they want to show everything BUT the race we tune into watch. Last Sat. night, while the race was running, they cut away to show multiple crashes in years past. I can tune into YouTube to see that all week. I wanted to see the current race. They show so little now that I may just start watching high lights and quite tuning into the race.

Oh. I can get behind that completely. But now were back to my point, that the '90s and '00s were due to an unexplainable fad. There's nothing NASCAR can do to get those numbers back since they don't know what caused them in the first place, and it's a waste of resources to try. Breathe in, breathe out, move on.
This is absolutely true. Those numbers caused tracks to add too many seats, and causes the boom in 1.5 mile tracks to be built and added to the schedule. The sport is 'right sizing' itself. It isn't going to go away.

This is absolutely true. Those numbers caused tracks to add too many seats, and causes the boom in 1.5 mile tracks to be built and added to the schedule. The sport is 'right sizing' itself. It isn't going to go away.
How much of it is "right-sizing" and how much of it is "stupid gimmicks that are alienating the core fanbase" though

How much of it is "right-sizing" and how much of it is "stupid gimmicks that are alienating the core fanbase" though
Certainly the gimmicks are an issue, but the explosive growth seen in the 90s - 2000s was never going to be sustainable. Most sports are seeing similar declines in viewership, and I will agree that the Chase has 'chased' away some of the fan base. As has Toyota joining and dominating. Dodge leaving took some fans with it. Fans are dying off and fewer are being added. The way people consume media and entertainment is partially to blame. Earnhardt's death caused some fans to leave. Stewart, Gordon, Kenseth, Jr, etc leaving has taken fans away. There are a ton of things to blame. Hopefully the anticipated shakeup when the TV contracts expire in a couple of years will add some excitement, assuming they actually add new tracks and rework the season.

I dislike the Chase as much as the next guy, but the championship format doesn't stop me from enjoying individual races. For the most part, the drivers are going to compete just as hard to win as they would under any other format, particularly those who haven't locked up a slot.

It's not like a stick and ball sport, where teams that have playoff spots locked up (or aren't going to make the playoffs) start slacking off. Even after the Chase starts, between 24 and 36 non-Chasers can still win a race and advance their final points positions. That's why I watch, and why the format doesn't affect how I regard individual races.

Interesting
Denny Hamlin‏Verified account @dennyhamlin Jul 15
A lot of ppl asking what time on dash and orange stripe on mirror are for from helmet cam last night. Time helps me manage time left in practice and qualifying. Orange stripe allows me to clear myself when spotter is at a bad angle. If car is below line I’m not clear.

DiKpA-wWAAAHBzt.jpg

126 replies327 retweets3,725 likes

Watching the All Star Game tonight and with the Open Championship starting on Thursday you keep hearing about their respective sports decline. I think NASCAR, Golf and Baseball all have this in common, they started falling apart as smartphones became more prevalent. Society became much faster paced and untimed sports have taken a major hit in the last decade. IMO it’s time for NASCAR to run 350 mile/lap races, or schedule 400 mile/laps to end at 3 hrs. Some obviously (Daytona 500, Darlington, Bristol, Coke 600) stay but I think this needs to be adopted. F1 has done a much better job modernizing than we have

When I read the finances and ratings, We are so blessed to have nearly a full field ! I am so grateful To Roger, Rick , Derick, and Joe !

One of the under discussed things in NASCAR is whether to slow down to save tires for later or go fast and pass but waste tires

One of the under discussed things in NASCAR is whether to slow down to save tires for later or go fast and pass but waste tires
Saving tires helps when they have a limited amount to use for that race however you don't want to go slow enough and get lapped. Some teams are limited because of finances so they try to get the most use from each set. The top ten drivers are not saving anything. BUT if your set up for a long run car you need the tires to be in good condition near the end of the run.

He sublet his account to Sergio Marchionne.
On Saturday, Sergio Marchionne was replaced as head of FCA, Ferrari, and several other key executive posts in the Agnelli industrial and financial empire, due to severe health issues. It is reported his condition has deteriorated "suddenly and sharply" and that he is "gravely ill" with his family by his side in a Zurich hospital. He had announced several years ago that he would retire at the end of 2018, so succession planning had obviously been considered.

On Saturday, FCA appointed Mike Manley, head of Jeep and Ram, as Marchionne's successor at FCA. Also on Saturday, John Elkann was named chairman of Ferrari. Elkann is a grandson of Gianni Agnelli, who selected him for key responsibilities in the Agnelli empire. (More info here)

No word on Nascar and Dodge, but I'm sure various Mopar chat rooms will soon issue a plethora of speculations, all dressed up as "done deal" facts.

On Saturday, Sergio Marchionne was replaced as head of FCA, Ferrari, and several other key executive posts in the Agnelli industrial and financial empire, due to severe health issues. It is reported his condition has deteriorated "suddenly and sharply" and that he is "gravely ill" with his family by his side in a Zurich hospital. He had announced several years ago that he would retire at the end of 2018, so succession planning had obviously been considered.

On Saturday, FCA appointed Mike Manley, head of Jeep and Ram, as Marchionne's successor at FCA. Also on Saturday, John Elkann was named chairman of Ferrari. Elkann is a grandson of Gianni Agnelli, who selected him for key responsibilities in the Agnelli empire. (More info here)

No word on Nascar and Dodge, but I'm sure various Mopar chat rooms will soon issue a plethora of speculations, all dressed up as "done deal" facts.
Marchionne was clearly a roadblock to Dodge when it comes to NASCAR racing, that much is certain. I've looked for how Manley views motorsports participation, and haven't been able to find much at all that would show where he stands. He knows that the Jeep brand needs a strong grassroots effort, but I'm not sure that translates to NASCAR participation with Dodge. Manley is a Brit, so he didn't grow up watching stock cars on a dirt track. So mock MoPar fans if you like but very little speculation has been stirred up because of the new CEO.

Does anyone know why my childhood heros of Casey Atwood and Buckshot left?
Casey is the textbook example of a promising driver placed in a Cup seat at least two seasons before he was ready. Being with a start-up team didn't help.

Our boy Buckshot just didn't have the talent.

Casey is the textbook example of a promising driver placed in a Cup seat at least two seasons before he was ready. Being with a start-up team didn't help.

Our boy Buckshot just didn't have the talent.
2 of many who crashed themselves out of a ride

Back
Top Bottom