Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Does anybody know why Jimmie Johnson only won 1 xfinity race but then won 83 NASCAR races and 7 titles?

On Saturday, Sergio Marchionne was replaced as head of FCA, Ferrari, and several other key executive posts in the Agnelli industrial and financial empire, due to severe health issues. It is reported his condition has deteriorated "suddenly and sharply" and that he is "gravely ill" with his family by his side in a Zurich hospital. He had announced several years ago that he would retire at the end of 2018, so succession planning had obviously been considered.

On Saturday, FCA appointed Mike Manley, head of Jeep and Ram, as Marchionne's successor at FCA. Also on Saturday, John Elkann was named chairman of Ferrari. Elkann is a grandson of Gianni Agnelli, who selected him for key responsibilities in the Agnelli empire. (More info here)

No word on Nascar and Dodge, but I'm sure various Mopar chat rooms will soon issue a plethora of speculations, all dressed up as "done deal" facts.
Marchionne was clearly a roadblock to Dodge when it comes to NASCAR racing, that much is certain. I've looked for how Manley views motorsports participation, and haven't been able to find much at all that would show where he stands. He knows that the Jeep brand needs a strong grassroots effort, but I'm not sure that translates to NASCAR participation with Dodge. Manley is a Brit, so he didn't grow up watching stock cars on a dirt track. So mock MoPar fans if you like but very little speculation has been stirred up because of the new CEO.
"Sergio Marchionne, the Italian-Canadian auto executive who rescued two struggling car companies from bankruptcy, has died in Italy as a result of complications from shoulder surgery. Marchionne was 66."

http://www.everythingzoomer.com/general/2018/07/25/sergio-marchionne-dies-at-66/

Does anybody know why Jimmie Johnson only won 1 xfinity race but then won 83 NASCAR races and 7 titles?
A very talented driver and a very talented crew chief establishing a once in a generation working relationship with a team owner with tons of resources and the ability to surround them with great equipment and people. I highly doubt Johnson and Knaus would have had the success they've had outside of the situation they've found themselves in.

"Sergio Marchionne, the Italian-Canadian auto executive who rescued two struggling car companies from bankruptcy, has died in Italy as a result of complications from shoulder surgery. Marchionne was 66."

http://www.everythingzoomer.com/general/2018/07/25/sergio-marchionne-dies-at-66/
A sad day for the auto industry. From what I've seen, it was a stroke brought on from a clot caused by the shoulder surgery. The man deserved to be able to retire next year and enjoy time in a rocking chair. It's a shame he wasn't able to do that.

Buckshot was a pretty damn good Busch Series driver
Yep. As I recall, his Cup ride was an extension of the family's Busch team. I dunno if the car wasn't up to Cup performance standards but I remember having the impression that Roy just didn't adapt to the top level.

The good news with stage racing is that race control doesn't stress if field gets seperated because race control knows a yellow is coming

http://www.talladegasuperspeedway.c...ld-Project.aspx?PromotionCode=1transformation

This is going to be really great for Talladega.
yes.gif

It's weird cars have 4 tires but other modes of transport do not. Maybe a 6 wheel car would increase racing?

"And I want an Oompa-Loompa, Daddy! And a goose that lays golden eggs, and chocolate river, and a golden ticket! And I want them now, Daddy, NOW!"

Good luck getting that, Veruca.

Do you think a new track anywhere has a snowball's chance of getting a Cup date, esp. one not owned by ISC / SMI? Because you know when a politician talks about attracting NASCAR, he means Cup and not X or Trucks.

The people's representative is selling an unobtainable dream.

Whole bunch of different Nascar, could be home track Nascar on up the line. But yeah, it will have to be disrespected, :rolleyes:

Well, there is a track in Florida that has a rather prestigious race known as the Snowball Derby...just sayin some odd things do happen.
The Derby is a great event but it's a long way from a Cup date.
Whole bunch of different Nascar, could be home track Nascar on up the line. But yeah, it will have to be disrespected, :rolleyes:
I doubt a politician knows there's any level of NASCAR other than cup. I certainly don't see him pitching a home track as a boon to the local economy; the anti-noise lawsuits facing a new track would eat up the profits.

Checked out the 1st episode of Evernham's new show on NBCSN called Glory Road. Pretty awesome. Will post a link once I see it up. First episode was the story behind the HMS car named Blacker that Gordon drove to a ton of wins over the course of 4 seasons. There was a 2nd episode about Watkins Glen but I haven't watched it yet.

Back
Top Bottom