Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Project lets rebuild some Irvan Texaco models from my teen years ( aka the mid to late 90s), and then lets add to that list, I still have one more donor kit to get, this will be a long term project working on one at a time( for now), total 7, 93 when he took over for Davey, 94, 95 come back, 96,97,97 Texaco Anniversary scheme and the Mac Tools one.
P1080695-vi.jpg
[/URL]

Hell yeah! That's awesome :cheers:

So I'm trying to get hot passes for LVMS in September & tickets as well since it's the closest track to me. I am really flabbergasted why Las Vegas Motor Speedway only allows 1 20 oz. non-alcoholic beverage into their facility. Pretty ridiculous considering the date of the race.

So I'm trying to get hot passes for LVMS in September & tickets as well since it's the closest track to me. I am really flabbergasted why Las Vegas Motor Speedway only allows 1 20 oz. non-alcoholic beverage into their facility. Pretty ridiculous considering the date of the race.
How many alcoholic ones do they allow? None?

How many alcoholic ones do they allow? None?

Zero as far as I can tell. I understand that from a business sense especially in Vegas. But I think it's ridiculous that they're going to take advantage of the heat and charge $4-6 for a bottle of water. Hopefully (I believe there is) there's refilling stations for my 20 oz bottle.

Is it possible they are restricted by law in allowing alcohol to be brought in? For example Eldora Speedway in Ohio does not allow you to carry in alcohol and sites a code section from the state statute.

Zero as far as I can tell. I understand that from a business sense especially in Vegas. But I think it's ridiculous that they're going to take advantage of the heat and charge $4-6 for a bottle of water. Hopefully (I believe there is) there's refilling stations for my 20 oz bottle.
I don't care what the folks at the track tell you, do NOT use the porcelain 'water refill appliance'.

Trust me, it's very difficult to get a 20 oz bottle down in there far enough to get it full.

Year 1993 went to Talladega
There were 11 of us
Took two full size coolers into track (sat on frontstretch)
Full of beer and ice
The other seven (not carrying coolers) carried a case of beer each

Neil Bonnett tore down some of the catch fencing causing a delay to repair

We ran out of beer..... :(

Holy mother, NASCAR finally added it:

Lap average nightmares, be damned!
Post of the month! I usually favor teams that have had run 15 laps or more. I think it indicates they're happy with the car and aren't having to stop every three or four laps to tweak something.

On the other hand, having 5-lap averages now is more useful on the bigger tracks and road courses than 10-laps. Teams can tell if they're good within 10 laps, so they often didn't show up on the old '10 laps only' stats.

Last edited:
I agree it's a rather split opinion. I would like the stage racing better if the points system wasn't so confusing to most.

I'd like stages better if they didn't go to caution and kept racing instead.
The caution is in here so that teams that gamble to get the points do so knowing they won't have to go a lap down at the shorter tracks. It also gives them time to run commercials.
The problem is they spend to much time showing pit stops and then the commercials so many laps are lost.
This method is used in many sports and I think if they dropped showing pit stops and just did commercials, we would still have time to build a dagwood sandwich, open a beer and get back to the TV, all under 3 laps. Teams that take longer will penalize themselves.

The caution is in here so that teams that gamble to get the points do so knowing they won't have to go a lap down at the shorter tracks. It also gives them time to run commercials.
The problem is they spend to much time showing pit stops and then the commercials so many laps are lost.
This method is used in many sports and I think if they dropped showing pit stops and just did commercials, we would still have time to build a dagwood sandwich, open a beer and get back to the TV, all under 3 laps. Teams that take longer will penalize themselves.
yep it has been explained many times, the stats show less race time is covered up with commercials, but it will never be right with some no matter what. I would like to see less commercials myself, but I know it is unrealistic and would rather deal with it than have to pay yet more to watch races like some are talking about going to. I bet the same would really cry a river if that happened. I know I would.

I didn’t say I don’t understand it, just that I wish it was otherwise. I also think it has more to do with the commercials than with competition.

the stats show less race time is covered up with commercials,
I don’t have the problem with commercials that some do, for the reason you state: they pay the bills. I’d rather they stayed green while they ran the ads. Whether they take 2.5 minutes for a break during green at the end of a stage, or they break for 4 to 7 laps for a caution, either way I’m not seeing any racing. Actually, the 2.5 minute break takes much less time.

But what do I know? I’m one of those who favors banning pitting under yellow and having all routine stops under green.

I think if they dropped showing pit stops and just did commercials.
I wonder how popular this would be? I used to make sure I wouldn't miss the pit stops, but now I pay little attention to them. Most of the time when there are issues TV misses it live and shows a replay. Also, hearing the reporter say, "4 tires, fuel and a slight air pressure adjustment" is just a waste of words in my opinion. I actually pay more attention to the ticker at the end of pit road than the pit itself.

I wonder how popular this would be? I used to make sure I wouldn't miss the pit stops, but now I pay little attention to them. Most of the time when there are issues TV misses it live and shows a replay. Also, hearing the reporter say, "4 tires, fuel and a slight air pressure adjustment" is just a waste of words in my opinion. I actually pay more attention to the ticker at the end of pit road than the pit itself.

I don't think there is a possibility of that happening. TV if possible always has a cliff hanger before the commercials to keep the viewer tuned in. Some programs the break is so long they will cut back to the show for a moment to remind us of short memory's what we are watching.

Reactions: Pat
FedEx would renegotiate their contract with Denny. His penalties are half of their mentions

The fix is “Stop counting laps”
Stage ends at lap 50
NASCAR gets to have their glory old time
Restart the race at lap 51

I'd go with Wave Around. Nautical.

I have an old wooden boat. Her name is Diamond Bracelet.

Reactions: Pat
Back
Top Bottom