Randy Ayers NASCAR Modelers web site

Formerjackman

Team Owner
Does anybody here use that site? I'm not a modeler, but it is an absolute treasure trove of information on cars and drivers, especially from the past. The last week I have not been able to connect to the site, and I wondered if anyone knew what was going on with it.

I'm a member over there. The same thing happened a couple years ago. The site was down about two weeks then. Bob Hanner is the site administrator, he posted on his Facebook/Nascar page the issue is with the host. They're working on it.

I'm a member over there. The same thing happened a couple years ago. The site was down about two weeks then. Bob Hanner is the site administrator, he posted on his Facebook/Nascar page the issue is with the host. They're working on it.

Good to hear. Thanks. I stumbled upon that site early last year, and while my wife was spending about 20% of entire year in the hospital, I had hours and hours of free time I used to go through the NASCAR threads from the beginning on my tablet. A lot of really good smart people over there, and I learned a TON about the cars, the owners, the mechanics and the drivers, especially about the 60's and 70's.from guys that were there in person, including Steve Hmiel. Hope they get it fixed soon!

I am member there too, to be honest, I hope it doenst come back, its a shell of its former self, its anti NASCAR Pass the 80's , but when it does, I have three HMS models to post there.

I am member there too, to be honest, I hope it doenst come back, its a shell of its former self, its anti NASCAR Pass the 80's , but when it does, I have three HMS models to post there.

I thought the site went downhill when they eliminated the NASCAR race discussion. I still enjoy the site, it keeps me in touch with my modeling buddies. Model building is a dying hobby. So it's good to be able to stay in touch with a small group of people that still enjoy the hobby. IMO they should reinstate the NASCAR discussion, tell the snowflakes not to enter where the grown ups are having adult conversations. But, as all too often some whiner will run to one of the moderators moaning and complaining because they got butt hurt, because some mean old person made fun of their driver. GEEZ!!! the world we live in. By the way, jws926, I am looking forward to seeing your builds.

IYISG6N.jpg

pnpqRm2.jpg

JeI6bLY.jpg

mack: short version-message board moderation is an impossible and thankless task. quite often a few users make the effort no longer worthwhile. we've got a good one here. and the community does a pretty good job of policing the trolls.

model building: despite my passion, my efforts were an embarrassment. for some reason I could never use the appropriate amount of glue. it ended up everywhere it shouldn't have been!

those jws926 examples just reaffirm my incompetence!

I never got the impression it was anti-anything, I just think that there is less interest in the newer stuff, so it isn't talked about as much. As stated, between the loss in interest in NASCAR as a whole, and the loss in interest in modeling, it is becoming an even more niche hobby than ever.

I thought the site went downhill when they eliminated the NASCAR race discussion. I still enjoy the site, it keeps me in touch with my modeling buddies. Model building is a dying hobby. So it's good to be able to stay in touch with a small group of people that still enjoy the hobby. IMO they should reinstate the NASCAR discussion, tell the snowflakes not to enter where the grown ups are having adult conversations. But, as all too often some whiner will run to one of the moderators moaning and complaining because they got butt hurt, because some mean old person made fun of their driver. GEEZ!!! the world we live in. By the way, jws926, I am looking forward to seeing your builds.

I wasn't around for the forum, so I can't comment, but as much as I enjoy arguing about all things NASCAR, it IS nice sometimes to go somewhere and just learn and discuss the history of the sport without the editorial comment.

I never got the impression it was anti-anything, I just think that there is less interest in the newer stuff, so it isn't talked about as much. As stated, between the loss in interest in NASCAR as a whole, and the loss in interest in modeling, it is becoming an even more niche hobby than ever.
Yes, for that group, they dont really like anything newer, and that does include NASCAR, those guys want to live in their bubble that doesnt include anything past 1990 for the most part, and that goes for a good part of the hobby in the USA, the demo that the two model kit companies target are men of a certain age, that and that group hates anything past 1980. Its sad.

I find it funny though, all those cranky old men said no one wanted new NASCAR kits, but yet some retailers cant keep them in stock.

I really don't think the older guys are anti-NASCAR as much as they just don't like it near as much as they did in the 80s-90s. And it seems it not just the avid modelers who have lost interest, NASCAR has also lost a ton of fans who aren't modelers. I think part of the problem at Randys is generational. My dads generation didn't set down nightly and debate what's right or wrong with NASCAR with my generation (internet forums). I think it's human nature for the older guys to feel like the younger guys can't do whatever as well. My dad was born in 1938. He followed Junior, Fred Lorenzen, Petty, Pearson and the Allisons. When Earnhardt, Wallace, Elliot and Davey came along, my dads generation respected them because they came up through the ranks. They worked their way to the top. The sport has changed drastically in the last 25 years or so. There's not an Ernie Irvan story to tell now. Instead you have a Paul Menard. Not to inspiring. I would love to see NASCAR flourish again, I'm just not sure anyone knows how to fix it.

I really don't think the older guys are anti-NASCAR as much as they just don't like it near as much as they did in the 80s-90s. And it seems it not just the avid modelers who have lost interest, NASCAR has also lost a ton of fans who aren't modelers. I think part of the problem at Randys is generational. My dads generation didn't set down nightly and debate what's right or wrong with NASCAR with my generation (internet forums). I think it's human nature for the older guys to feel like the younger guys can't do whatever as well. My dad was born in 1938. He followed Junior, Fred Lorenzen, Petty, Pearson and the Allisons. When Earnhardt, Wallace, Elliot and Davey came along, my dads generation respected them because they came up through the ranks. They worked their way to the top. The sport has changed drastically in the last 25 years or so. There's not an Ernie Irvan story to tell now. Instead you have a Paul Menard. Not to inspiring. I would love to see NASCAR flourish again, I'm just not sure anyone knows how to fix it.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! You said a mouthful my friend in just 1 paragraph!!!!!!! ;)

Also consider that from a modeler's perspective, there is a LOT less to talk about on on the newer cars as they became more standardized and less individual, body styles stayed the same for several years, and ever team has a whole garage full of them. Even as late as the late 70's, you could often track an individual car from the time it was built through multiple ownerships and even different bodies. That is impossible today. There have been hundreds of Chevy SS Cup cars built, and because of the strict NASCAR processes, other than the paint job, if you've seen one, you've seen them ALL. That eliminates questions like "what type of rear end cooler did the Wood Brothers use in 1974, and what year did Penske put disc brakes on their Matadors, and what type were they?

I refuse to use shoe-laces manufactured after 1980 because change.

They have a new/old re release kit out of Petty's Dodge Dart Chrysler kit racing car that Chrysler was behind back in the day. I'm following a guy on YouTube putting it together. There is something for everyone in the modeling field IMO.

They have a new/old re release kit out of Petty's Dodge Dart Chrysler kit racing car that Chrysler was behind back in the day. I'm following a guy on YouTube putting it together. There is something for everyone in the modeling field IMO.

You are dead on correct. In the last few years there has been an issue of the Hudson Hornet stock cars, Chrysler 300s, Fireball Roberts 57 Ford, and reissues of Bobby Allisons Coca Cola 1972? Monte Carlo, Bobby Issacs 1974? Torino, Donnie Allisons 1971 Purolator Mercury Cyclone. That's some great stuff. If curiosity gets the best of any of you guys, check out Mikesdecals.com, Southernmotorsporthobbies.com and Polecatdecals if you want to see some of the kits and decals that are available. You can build about anything you want to from the fifties to the current cars. It is a fun hobby.

I refuse to use shoe-laces manufactured after 1980 because change.

Just to be clear, I am NOT making a critique about old NASCAR VS new NASCAR here, simply that if you have ever looked at that forum, the bulk of the threads involve specific detail questions about specific cars. Those type of questions are just not as relevant to the newer cars, which are much more homogenized than earlier generations. I find the site fascinating because it is a way to learn about the cars from an era that I was not around to see in person.

I wasn’t even aware the site existed.

It sounds like it is / was a great place for people engrossed in that hobby and at some point, a good place to talk about racing.

I wasn’t even aware the site existed.

It sounds like it is / was a great place for people engrossed in that hobby and at some point, a good place to talk about racing.
Yes, its one of two NASCAR model forums, and there are two dedicated Facebook groups as well for NASCAR modeling.

Also consider that from a modeler's perspective, there is a LOT less to talk about on on the newer cars as they became more standardized and less individual, body styles stayed the same for several years, and ever team has a whole garage full of them. Even as late as the late 70's, you could often track an individual car from the time it was built through multiple ownerships and even different bodies. That is impossible today. There have been hundreds of Chevy SS Cup cars built, and because of the strict NASCAR processes, other than the paint job, if you've seen one, you've seen them ALL. That eliminates questions like "what type of rear end cooler did the Wood Brothers use in 1974, and what year did Penske put disc brakes on their Matadors, and what type were they?

And I am happy about that, you know how much time that saves me , I dont have to spend time doing research, I just do get to building, and I love that, not that I dont love researching things, I actually do, but it can be a time consuming process and a giant rabbit hole at times.

There are still things that Cup teams do that are different from each other, so there are always going to be question that can be asked, maybe not as many as the older gens, sure I give you that. .

So where you see that as a bad thing, I see that has good thing, I love progress.

And I am happy about that, you know how much time that saves me , I dont have to spend time doing research, I just do get to building, and I love that, not that I dont love researching things, I actually do, but it can be a time consuming process and a giant rabbit hole at times.

There are still things that Cup teams do that are different from each other, so there are always going to be question that can be asked, maybe not as many as the older gens, sure I give you that. .

So where you see that as a bad thing, I see that has good thing, I love progress.

I never said it was a BAD thing, just different.

STUNNERS!!!! The whole bunch look flawless. Great job.

Back
Top Bottom