Rate The Cup Race: Charlotte Roval

4. I hated it and I hate myself for hating it, while I have a tinge of death bed to my posts I think for the most part I say I am pretty positive about things in terms of NASCAR, even when I don’t agree with them. I wanted to like yesterday I did, but it the whole Roval idea seems like manufactured drama for the manufactured points system imo. The caution flags at the end made the last stage just draaaaaaggg and I usually like long races to be honest. Charlie debated me on the race thread yesterday and it made me think it really did as do I dislike the Roval because of the playoffs or dislike the Roval because I just dislike it. It’s a really good question. I would like to see for my own feelings how I would feel about this race going back to the oval and say Road America take its place as the cutoff would I still feel the same? I think the answer is yes because the whole spectacle of the playoffs would overshadow the racing aspect imo. Charlie was right. But on the flip side....I don’t feel like this with any other race in the playoffs, I try to enjoy each race as a separate entity and appreciate the driver skill like Bowman yesterday for example taking it up 5 notches. Gosh I need a racing therapist.

9.5...Well, on one hand we saw a great race. I saw parts of it and watched the rest on Youtube highlights after work. A thrilling wreck and win by a fan favorite, cut-off drivers going for it, some wrecking out as laps wound down. There is something weird about this race being in Charlotte. If this was at any other 1.5 mile track it wouldn't feel like as much of an abomination but this is NASCAR's "home" racetrack. It is a microcosm of the sport's identity crisis. We wanted a R/C in the CHASE... WG Intl, Road America, COTA, Laguna Seca... and we got a Roval in the "PLAYOFFS?" Right in NASCAR's backyard. I can't shake off the weirdness of that concept.

2.5....manufactured hysteria...if you want a road course, use one, not an abortion of a real NASCAR type track. What next?

Saving grace was Bubba...wish he would have smacked the smirk off of Bowman...better yet, wish he would have pulled a Kenseth on him when he had the chance.

Back
Top Bottom