Rate the Cup race --- Sonoma

I'm giving this race a 0, I'm sorry, a close finish between MTJ and Kyle probably would have saved it from getting a low score, but we didn't even get that. Just an absolutely uncompetitive race. And this is me being nice. Kill stages at the road courses already
If you killed the stages you really would have had what "you" percieve to be a blowout.

Stages really kill the flow of these road courses. Unlike most ovals where stages act as a reward for running well early they pretty much separate the field into two different groups here, those who want to compete for stage points and those who want to compete for the win. You really can't go for both with how much track position matters. The racing itself was alright but lacked something spectacular. Watching JGR dominance is fatiguing.

I'll give 2 ratings.

First, the race: I'll say a 5. There just wasn't enough competition to make it fun to watch. Even live and in person it got so stretched out that it became a conveyor belt. There were battles all over the track, but I am sure TV failed to show it. I will watch the broadcast tonight. I loved watching Larson steal the last two spots with 2 to go to get a top 10. Matt D had a great run as well. The carousel was interesting. They really can't carry a lot of speed into the the downhill left hander and that was fun to watch from turn 9.

Second, the day: We basically have Sonoma down to a science at this point. We left about 5:30 and rolled in about 7:30. We stay left and always get to park behind our seats in turn 9 to limit parking and when they tell you to go way left and park far away from the grandstands we go right and get yelled at by the parking attendant, lol. As for the rest of the day, We hung out at the side of the main grandstand and watch for drivers to filter in and out. Larson was on trackside live and he was the first we ran into. They parked his golf 6 inches from us and my Son was able to high five him and Owen. We are not huge autograph seekers and try not to bother these guys a whole lot because we know they have obligations to get to. As we stood there we saw Childress, Harvick, Matt D, Truex, Newman and then the moment for my Son as Joey Logano came by and we had to follow him for the autograph on my Son's hat. They were nice enough to stop and have a few words with him which made the day. My Son looked at me and said his knees were shaky because he was so excited to see him. That is a 10 right there. It was hot and it wasn't the best race we have been to and I'm tired of watching Truex win (he has won the last 3 races we have been to), but all in all it was worth the money for the little moments.

I have no problem with the stages, except for the points. It killed several drivers who needed those precious playoff points, and favored those that didn't allowing them to pit earlier and get track position.

2 The fact that there are so many above 5 ratings for this race shows how low expectations really are for NASCAR these days,

What are you saying. that racing wasnt like that back in the day? Well, hell yes it was.

Not saying it was not, but not every race was a blow out either. Are you contending that they were? Does Daytona 1976 revive your memory?

Believe in 1969 alone there were 10 different winners at the GN level. In 1967 there were 13 different winners....much larger contingent of winners then than now.

In 1976...30 races and 9 different winners....last year there was 10 in 36

But the difference about then an know...last year those ten winners came out of four different stables....back in '76 every one of the 9 winners drove for a different owner.

So far this year, only three stables have won.

Last edited:
Not saying it was not, but not every race was a blow out either. Are you contending that they were? Does Daytona 1976 revive your memory?

Believe in 1969 alone there were 10 different winners at the GN level. In 1967 there were 13 different winners....much larger contingent of winners then than now.

In 1976...30 races and 9 different winners....last year there was 10 in 36

But the difference about then an know...last year those ten winners came out of four different stables....back in '76 every one of the 9 winners drove for a different owner.

So far this year, only three stables have won.
So what? The racing now is far more competitive then it was "back in the day" Far more, the rest of what you said is meaningless.

Back
Top Bottom