Rate The Cup Race: Watkins Glen

10.0!! Very few races I'll give a 10.0, but this one was deserving of it. The best racing from start to finish and anyone who thinks the end was boring wasn't paying attention. Chase and Kyle put on one helluva show then Chase and Martin followed up with more and the two and at times, three abreast behind the leaders just kept it more interesting!! A great race!! I was so pumped the last twenty laps my heart was pounding and my pacemaker went into overdrive!! It probably took a years worth of power drain on the battery to keep up. Luckily, the pacemaker comes with a life time guarantee. ;)

I thought it was fantastic, and I'm a Truex fan. I was also a Bill fan growing up, so it was nice to see Chase get his first.

I know Kyle made it all the way back from 20th place to third in maybe an at best top 52nd place car, but how far ahead were Truex and Elliot Jr. for Truex to still wind up in 2nd after running out of gas with three turns left?

Even if Truex didn't run out, Elliot was going to beat him. Running out had nothing to do with the win.

8...other than not enough passing and not wanting Elliot to win...but having him in the pool at the local gin mill...well I will take the $300 and say congrats

... not enough passing...
This is what frustrates me about Nascar fans (along with the often used "not enough beating & banging" complaint).

When two guys are engaged in high stakes, close quarter, hand-to-hand combat, why is a successful pass more worthy than a successful defense? I don't think it is... I think both are equally worthy and equally exciting.

I like and respect Chase Elliott, but I'm not a fanboy, not a member of Chase Nation. But yesterday he fought with Kyle Busch and he fought with Martin Truex... close and hard battles where any mistake would change the running order. To me, it is disingenuous to dismiss that with "not enough passing." And that is the attitude that brings us to the prospect of the leader being saddled with towing a parachute to make him a sitting duck for the trailing car to pass.

Solid 9. The initial laps of this race had some of the closest, most exciting racing so far this year. Stage 2 was boring. The end of stage 3 was just awesome. I'm not a Chase Elliot fan, but I was rooting for him. However, I didn't like the fact that johnson got turned into the wall at the start of the straight and Nascar never threw a caution. That's a dangerous place to be parked. But even so, still an amazing finish.

We got a new/first time winner. Happy for Chase and all of his fans.

Well I have been an Elliott fan all my life and I hope no one will say that Chase was given a single foot on the track!! He drove one heck of a race to get his first win!! And hopefully will get to see Bill drive again too!! God is good!!

8...other than not enough passing and not wanting Elliot to win...but having him in the pool at the local gin mill...well I will take the $300 and say congrats

There wasn't very much passing, in fact 3rd place finished around 20 seconds behind 2nd place last time I looked at the leaderboard. Compared to Sonoma the body of the race was better. Sonoma didn't have a battle for the lead or even challenges for the lead, just one big mistake by the 4 that led to a Truex run away for the win. This kind of races are what Nascar needs terribly, close battles for the lead. It moves the dials.

This is what frustrates me about Nascar fans
Ok...will respect your passivity....me, I want all out war. Loved it when they tried to pound the crap out of each other. Just like Dale Earnhardt said, "if they are faster....beat them into the wall".

That said, Chase did a commendable job yesterday. He did not panic and did not make a mistake that the 78 could capitalize on. Would wonder what would have happened if that was Kyle following him instead of Truex...then again Truex only got close enough only once or twice.

If it was me...I would have put the kid into the wall if I had the chance. Nothing against him...other than being a "golden" spoon, but he was too good to let him get away.

Remember a long time ago, from a very famous racer back in the '60's..."the wall is not to keep your opponent in, but kick him over it so he can't come back". Darlington 1962

Well I have been an Elliott fan all my life and I hope no one will say that Chase was given a single foot on the track!! He drove one heck of a race to get his first win!! And hopefully will get to see Bill drive again too!! God is good!!
Chase was very aggressive the whole race and I loved it. The problem this year, has been the same 3 guys winning every other race and the competition just isn't even close to them. Finally, we got to see a race where several cars were pretty equal and were able to duke it out while keeping it clean. It doesn't get much better than that.

Ok...will respect your passivity....me, I want all out war. Loved it when they tried to pound the crap out of each other. Just like Dale Earnhardt said, "if they are faster....beat them into the wall".

That said, Chase did a commendable job yesterday. He did not panic and did not make a mistake that the 78 could capitalize on. Would wonder what would have happened if that was Kyle following him instead of Truex...then again Truex only got close enough only once or twice.

If it was me...I would have put the kid into the wall if I had the chance. Nothing against him...other than being a "golden" spoon, but he was too good to let him get away.

Remember a long time ago, from a very famous racer back in the '60's..."the wall is not to keep your opponent in, but kick him over it so he can't come back". Darlington 1962
I really don't think Truex could get close enough to do it if he wanted to. Truex isn't that kind of a driver. Now KDB? he would have pulled every trick in the book to throw off Elliott. It might have come off clean, and then again it might have not.

10. Was actually happy to watch it from home this year because the NBC broadcast was great

There is no such thing as a 10, only because there could be a better race than what we saw. That being said, this race had everything you could ask for. It was beyond entertaining, the storyline was all you could ask for. The fact that Elliot was the winner makes no difference of how good the race was. Any first time winner, under those conditions would have been just as good. I am a race fan, and it's races like this one, that keep me coming back. They don't happen often, but when they do, it becomes part of our racing memories. I give it a 9.5. Races like this one is why I watch.

Back
Top Bottom