Rate the "Gentlemen start your engines"

I dislike it when the command is used to advertise something with no connection to racing whatsoever, or given by people who have never seen a race (or at least haven't seen one since their PR flacks last purchased their opportunity to give the command).

Heh, I was doing something else and had ESPN on in the background yesterday and they were talking about Dwight Howard leaving the LA Lakers (ball and stick, I know, who cares) and all of sudden, they cut to a soundbite clip of Shaq talking about it and it was at the Daytona Media Center! Shaq, Sadler and Kevin James took questions at the media center and the media types were asking Shaq about basketball things. I somehow find it kind of obnoxious that a NASCAR event was used to address other sports. Could you imagine if when Joe Gibbs returned to the Washington Redskins for those few years, if he was asked a question about JGR at an NFL press conference? Not a big deal, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

Also, this Shaq clip was about 15 minutes after their recap of the Coke Zero 400. They showed video of the three big crashes, and then a shot of Jimmie Johnson crossing the finish line. I guess I can't blame people for saying they watch racing for the wrecks when the "worldwide leader" shows highlights of the summer race at Daytona as three crashes and then somebody won.

they did the same thing in N'wide, crashes first and then Kenseth with the flag doing a burnout. Yeah I am not a crossover fan so I have a problem junking up auto racing with stick and ball. gave up on that when high school football and baseball went pro.

During the invocation and anthem a certain level of respect is called for, but the command to start your engines is all about fun imo.
I dont care if they are pushing a movie (Sheryl Crow performed earlier in the day too probably in part to sell records).
Nascar is a totally commercialized business anyway, they didnt taint anything. Bruton Smith would put logos on the porta potty turds if he could turn a profit.

Wow, y'all are brutal, so they spiced it up a little bit, jeez sorry if three guys tried to have fun with it.

This place is the no-fun zone regarding some things but more often it's just a place where logic and reason is trumped by anger and sarcasm. haha

The self serving GSYE call is sad. While some do a great job, many do not. Put a real fan of the sport out there and let him/her have at it instead of the misguided/fictitious enthusiasm. It's pretty transparent.

The self serving GSYE call is sad. While some do a great job, many do not. Put a real fan of the sport out there and let him/her have at it instead of the misguided/fictitious enthusiasm. It's pretty transparent.

Or just don't let it bug you. I find the invocation to be the stupidest thing in sports but I simply fast forward through it.

Or just don't let it bug you. I find the invocation to be the stupidest thing in sports but I simply fast forward through it.
There are things that I like and things I don't. You, for example, don't like jorts yet they seem to bug you. I'm okay with that. ;)

There are things that I like and things I don't. You, for example, don't like jorts yet they seem to bug you. I'm okay with that. ;)

I just think jorts are funny. I saw some carpenter jorts at Meijer the other day. Gave me a chuckle.

Back
Top Bottom