Rate the next gen car..

Just make it so when you change 4 tires and some other dude takes 2 that the guy who took 4 could actually get by the said guy who only changed 2 with 200 laps on his other 2.
This. & I wish they would make the grills an actual grill and the tail pipes actual tail pipes. I'll give it an 8 on looks and a 6 on performance. Still needs to get back to the quality racing of the pre COT design

I disagree. Other than at Daytona and Talladega. So you don't like it then?
Faster isnt always better is correct in the same sense that slower is faster.

GEN 6 on these small tires, 5.

GEN 6 on larger tires would be a 7.

Mainly because all the aero dependence for grip instead of tires. The shoulders on the side make the cars faster, but make racing side by side a crap shoot.

Way too much dependence on aero down force to have more beating and banging. Re-watch the last laps at Charlotte and see what I mean. Matt never touches Matt, who wasn't mad, but felt it was as hard as you can race these cars without wrecking someone. :eek:
Get rid of the front valence, or make it smaller, so that more air gets under the car,a little bigger spoiler on all the tracks and let the crews have some room to play with spoiler angle. I think also they need to let the teams play with the suspensions more, give them more room for adjustment. Over all this car was a step in the right direction, it set records at almost all the tracks it raced. I'll give at a solid 7.
Earnhardt is rolling over again.

No grip on repaves. That just shows how hard Goodyear has to make these tires to handle the weight and speed of these cars. The reason Goodyear has to bring rock hard tires is complex. The cars are faster on a repave, so GY has to use a thicker sidewall. The thicker sidewall retains so much heat, along with the higher speeds, it melts the tire surface. So they make the surface harder, and there isn't enough mechanical grip. Using a larger tire diameter would spread the heat out and allow the use of a softer tire compound and cars wouldn't spin out so often from getting too close to another car.

Right now there isn't enough mechanical grip to over come the aero down force advantage, which pushes the tires into the pavement and adds the grip the tires don't have on their own.
They talked about larger tires 5 years ago, this idea went by the wayside because the car would have had to been redesigned to fit the wider tire or so Nascar said at the time. I think by playing with the suspension area and spoiler angle, size ect.... the aero push and side by side racing can be improved.

NO on wider tires, get that out of your minds. These cars don't need anything to make them faster in fact they need to be made slower. the more corner speed you take away from the cars the better the racing is. the more speed the cars are running the more aero issues show up.

NO on wider tires, get that out of your minds. These cars don't need anything to make them faster in fact they need to be made slower. the more corner speed you take away from the cars the better the racing is. the more speed the cars are running the more aero issues show up.

the idea would be to trade the splitter and body shoulders for wider tires, leaving speeds about the same. This past weekend Andy Petrie explained a little how the racing is different when you have mechanical grip vs aero down force for grip.

If the track surfaces weren't so smooth after the repaving, the cars would have more grip. Until they make some drastic changes to the body, aero isn't going away any time soon.

They definitely look better than Gen 5
Aerodynamics are a guaranteed result of a solid object moving at speed. Drafting down a staightaway is an example of the benefits but the push on corners ....not so much.

We know Nascar is working on it....have faith. :D

They definitely look better than Gen 5
Aerodynamics are a guaranteed result of a solid object moving at speed. Drafting down a staightaway is an example of the benefits but the push on corners ....not so much.

We know Nascar is working on it....have faith. :D
If we lasted past the COT, we can tolerate anything :D

Very true

Plus usually the car out front is the fastest one... so regardless of air chances are the leaders gona stretch his lead anyway. lol
Not true. How many times did we see the best car that lead the most laps get back in the field and not be able to pass anyone to get back up front?

i will go 7...better than G5 for sure. Looks great but still doesn't consistantly run great. And there are more injuries this year as well...I know only a few were in the G6 but I cant help but wonder if they were all somehow linked to it.

Someone on another forum posted this. I think it's spot on.

NASCAR race cars are too reliable, too well-handling, too easy to save, too had to pass. As long as this remains true Jimmie Johnson and other boring lap turning idiots like Brad Keselowski, Matt Kenseth, and Jeff Gordon will win championships.

people like this are too easy to cry, don't know anything about racing, and continually have a need to show how stupid they are...yep spot on
Total BS post....who ever that was that posted that knows nothing about racing!

At first, I didn't like the car a whole lot. When I first saw Chevy's Gen6 car, I thought it was a Pontiac G8. Now after seeing the car raced throughout the season, i guess i've developed a small like for the car, especially the Chevy's. Don't like how the Toyota's look so much, & the Ford's look like they're laughing with that huge front intake. Well back at the start of 95, I didn't like the Monte Carlo that replaced the Lumina at first either but I got over that quick when Sr won the Busch Clash...

At first, I didn't like the car a whole lot. When I first saw Chevy's Gen6 car, I thought it was a Pontiac G8. Now after seeing the car raced throughout the season, i guess i've developed a small like for the car, especially the Chevy's. Don't like how the Toyota's look so much, & the Ford's look like they're laughing with that huge front intake. Well back at the start of 95, I didn't like the Monte Carlo that replaced the Lumina at first either but I got over that quick when Sr won the Busch Clash...

That's because it IS a G8, with a downgraded front end. I was disappointed when I first saw the SS, but I actually like it now. I still think the Holden and Pontiac versions look better, but the SS isn't bad. The part I like the least is the $45k price tag and automatic-only transmission. From a NASCAR perspective, it's a hell of a lot better than the Impala though. I think the Gen6 Fusion and Charger look awesome. Never been a fan of the Camry's styling.

Back in '95 I was extremely happy to see the Monte Carlo, but looking back on it now I have very fond memories of the Lumina.

I wish. I still think it's right, but the reaction here got me thinking about something else: People on this board are really satisfied with NASCAR and don't want anything changed.

I know, right? If the cars were less reliable, less well-handling, less easy to save, and easier to pass, the really good drivers would start winning and the no talent posers like Jimmie Johnson,Brad Kesolowski, Matt Kenseth, and Jeff Gordon would never have a chance. lol

I don't think it's a case of 'people on this board are really satisfied with NASCAR and don't want anything changed'.
I think it's more of a case of, the quote you posted is ridiculous.

The only issues with the Gen6 car are the same problems we've been dealing with for years. Too much aero dependency which makes it too hard to pass (especially at the 1.5 cookie cutter tracks) and really kills the quality of racing. Track position is far too important. 10 or 20 years ago, a great driver could take a 10th place car and finish in the top 3. Think that's possible today? No way in hell.

Don't get me wrong, the racing these days is very good in general, but NASCAR needs to put more into the drivers' hands. Obviously driving ability still matters a great deal, but not as much as it used to.

Kenseth and Kyle both had to start in the the back after penalties, Kyle did it twice yesterday, and they didn't seem to have any problems driving up thru the field, Kyle drove up from the rear to second at one point. So aero and no passing usually means that somebody isn't paying attention to the racing. Plenty of two and three wide racing at 190 + MPH. But in fact they made passing look easy, if they would have raced single file and hammered the back end off, and knocked in a quarter panel passing the other, most around here wouldn't say a thing about how hard it was to pass. Most people can't make the adjustment to all the different tracks that Nascar races at. Short, medium and large tracks all have their pluses and minuses.

I saw this on Jayski:
While the Gen-6 car did bring back a traditional "stock" look, it proved to be too fast and too fickle to generate a lot of traditional side-by-side racing. There were 18 broken track records in qualifying during the season, but that speed came at the expense of the main event.
There were 1,611 lead changes with the older Car of Tomorrow in 2012, but only 1,033 during the just-completed season. That's 578 fewer passes for the lead, a 35.9% reduction. NASCAR currently is working on changes to the car, including a restrictor plate-like tapered spacer that will reduce the flow of gas and air into the engine to reduce speeds. Crew chief Chad Knaus hinted during the season-finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway the changes will be dramati

Leave it to Brian France to **** up a good thing :mad:
Best racing in damn near a decade and they're going to change it.

The one thing that we have learned from this thread...is that everyone has different views as to what makes good racing.

Back
Top Bottom