Rate The Race: Atlanta

Probably a 9 if the 4 car wasn't there stinking it up but it happens. Brad won so I should give it a 10 but I'll be honest and say 5 because the four car wasn't letting anyone else play. Seemed competitive from 2nd on back.

3 - I thought it was pretty boring. I was really disappointed. I'm still excited for this season. Lot of racing to go.

3/10 Really boring race and the aero/engine package sucks. The cars were coasting into the corners and barely using any brakes. Way too easy to drive. Need more horsepower.
When have they utilized the brakes entering the turns at Atlanta?

Love the slip and sliding, long runs and tire management.
It was an old school kinda race. I thought that's what we all wanted lol
^ Exactly this. My rating: 9.5. A clean, old school Atlanta race. And the new aero package was great, with cars able to run close and pass if they were faster. The 4 dominated, but this was NOT because of the aero rules. Guys couldn't pass Harvick because he was just faster. That happens sometimes.

I'd have rated the race lower if Harvick had won, but he didn't, so extra credit for the delicious Karma Is A B!tch middle finger to Harvick, who has never embraced the concept of winning as a team / losing as a team. Today his crew gave him the fastest car all day. They also executed perfectly, nine pit stops for 4 tires and fuel, ranging from 11.2 to 11.8 seconds.

One point deducted for the BS debris caution roughly three quarters into the race despite stages...
The caution came during a commercial break, so why label it as a bogus caution? It didn't have that feel to me. I think the absence of BS cautious so far this year has been very welcome.

^ Exactly this. My rating: 9.5. A clean, old school Atlanta race. And the new aero package was great, with cars able to run close and pass if they were faster. The 4 dominated, but this was NOT because of the aero rules. Guys couldn't pass Harvick because he was just faster. That happens sometimes.

I'd have rated the race lower if Harvick had won, but he didn't, so extra credit for the delicious Karma Is A B!tch middle finger to Harvick, who has never embraced the concept of winning as a team / losing as a team. Today his crew gave him the fastest car all day. They also executed perfectly, nine pit stops for 4 tires and fuel, ranging from 11.2 to 11.8 seconds.
Yeah, I don't get what else you could want in a race. Passing all over the place, just not for the lead, but like you said it wasn't because of clean air. Harvick just had a car that could drive in deeper. Which was evident by him coming back to 9th after being at the tail end of a bunch of lapped cars at the end. Also Keselowski passing Larson supplies more evidence clean air wasn't king.

Old school Atlanta? There hasn't been an old school Atlanta since Smith changed the track.

Old school Atlanta? There hasn't been an old school Atlanta since Smith changed the track.
Some people don't understand the difference between "old school" and "just plain old," including several who post prolifically here at R-F. Just my $0.02.

Need a few more races to render a verdict on the downforce package and segment format. Was disappointed today.

7. Decent racing behind Harvick. NASCAR's resident choke artists gave the race away again to make it interesting.

3/10 Really boring race and the aero/engine package sucks. The cars were coasting into the corners and barely using any brakes. Way too easy to drive. Need more horsepower.
Huh? If they're coasting into the corners and barely using the brakes, they're already not taking advantage of the horsepower they have now. You can add more, but they won't use it either.

Harvick was winning by effectively limiting his use of HP. Did you catch the segment where they went to his in car audio? He was coming off the gas going into 1 as far back as the S/F line!

Last edited:
The caution came during a commercial break, so why label it as a bogus caution? It didn't have that feel to me. I think the absence of BS cautious so far this year has been very welcome.
It's only been 2 races, give it time bogus debris cautions are something Nascar will never get rid of!

I'll give it a 7, looked like these guys had their hands full at times controlling the cars on Atlantas' worn down racing surface, that's the way it should be.

Kevin did'n speed that was just Nascar's bullcrap saying he did to screw him out of the race.

I think you might be right. In fact I'll take it a step further.....Roger Penske PAID Nascar to penalize Kevin! Because he knew that would be the only chance for Brad to win! Nascar accepted Roger's bribe because they hate Kevin Harvick and have been conspiring against him ever since he left RCR! Which is also the reason Kevin didn't win the title the past two years.....because Richard Childress paid off Nascar!!!!!! I heard Richard paid Brian France $10 million last year alone to screw Kevin out of the championship!!!!!!!!

^ oh yeah.........:sarcasm:

I think this "FearThe4" guy has been taking too many pills with his buddy "TheCloser4"

I think this "FearThe4" guy has been taking too many pills with his buddy "TheCloser4"

Sadly, I have come to realize TheCloser4 is no longer with us. I believe his account, and consequently all 12 of his posts, were lost in the great forum crash of 2016. I'm just one of a select few that will remember his legacy.

RIP TheCloser4

Oh yeah by the way, I'll rate the race a 6.

7. I don't think the segments caused any extra excitement, either. It picked up some towards the end after Harvick was out, and there was some challenge for the lead.

It looked to me that the lower down force put "driving" back into the hands of the driver. Tire management mattered. I haven't figured out the new point system but I do like to see consistency rewarded (I think consistency is as important as winning over a long season). I'm curious to see how the break down of points is accomplished; I'm wondering how the segment points contribute to the race total.

Gordon made an observation that I hadn't considered. During a yellow Harvick was shutting his engine down and I was thinking fuel savings is part of every caution now. Gordon suggested it also cools the engine down a bit.

Back
Top Bottom