Rate The Race: Phoenix

8.5 which includes extra credit for the surprise finish. Hindsight is 20/20, but it seems obvious more people should have stayed out at the GWC. Maybe all should have?

5, racing is not about waiting for a tire to wear so badly that there is a "caution" to bunch up the field. Racing is about surprises and there were few surprises today besides the winner.

I think that the heat was a big turn off. It was 94 today and the average high this time of year is 76 there
I know I wouldn't have been there. MRN said 98 degrees with about 100 to go. People were slow cooking out there today

10. Tremendous speed by my TRD powered Toyota Racing Camrys. Racing happened. Great race. Everything is great.

8.5, the racing was better because they were on a smaller track.

It was GREAT! Jlo blows a tire and walls it and then KB blows the lead.:D
Thought it we might see Elliot get his first. What happened to Joonier? He had a fast car.
Was Danica mentioned at all?
Good for Newman

8.5 which includes extra credit for the surprise finish. Hindsight is 20/20, but it seems obvious more people should have stayed out at the GWC. Maybe all should have?
Somebody's always going to take tires on a late caution, and somebody's always going to stay out. It's just a question of how far back the first ones will be.

Danica was mentioned in a stat of seven 'notable drivers' (Fox's phrase) who haven't earned a top 10 in 2017.

I don't recall them showing DP's car yesterday and with her being a notable driver sans top 10 it is surprising. I saw Kurt and Clint running essentially unsponsored red cars and maybe DP was driving one too and I didn't notice.

7 only cause Newman winning ( dont care for the guy ) but happy for RCR

Reactions: sdj
I was happy to see Newman get one. I had noticed he worked his way into the top 10 and thought he was running better than usual. He was able to get a good restart and hold off the guys with 2 tires (and Larson messed up his chance). With the new format this year I've noticed the young guys are starting to make their mark in the standings.

I'll go with a solid 9...at times you think NASCAR scripts some of these things, but I don't believe it was possible to script that ending just like the Daytona 500.

I think that the heat was a big turn off. It was 94 today and the average high this time of year is 76 there

I also think March is a terrible time to have a race in Phoenix because there are so many other events to compete with. Pro golf, spring training baseball, final 4 (this year), etc, etc. Phoenix needs to move to the first or second week in April so it isn't competing with so many other things. Ditto the fall race and having a home football game.

I'll give it a 7.75. There were a lot of passes being made through the field, like Kyle Busch coming up through the pack, and FOX actually showed them. However clean air was still king and the leader was still able to pull away to an unacceptable degree for such a short track. This package needs work, IMO. Surprise winners are nice on occasion, the caution kept this one in doubt til the end, but I don't like completely undeserving cars winning every week by luck.

Back
Top Bottom