Rate The Race: Pocono Deuce

7.5, loved the Larson/Dillon battle.

If it had gone green to the end we would have seen that battle happen again in the last laps for the win. The 3 and 42 were the fastest cars out there.

back markers banging about did little for me
Greatest thing about this race ? Brad or Harvick didn't win

Pocono has been putting on some better races as of late. This one didn't disappoint either.

Ever since they changed the gear rule to allow shifting again the quality of racing is great. Especially for a big track. There was definitely a lull from about 2004-210 or so. So-so racing combined with 500 miles made for a grind then.

I'll give it a solid 8. It sure was quirky...

All 3 races I attended (Pocono x2, Kentucky) this year were legitimately good. If only Pocono had better weather. I'm still tossing around Michigan....

7.5. Lots of different strategies, resulting in a surprise winner. Subtract half a point for not going the full distance.

8. The racing was surprisingly more competitive than I thought it would be. Got to give it up for the small team winning the race.

6.5 and the best Pocono race I have seen in eons but the rain and not completing the advertised laps hurt matters. Race coverage was awful again as seeing some more racing in the pack would have been nice. Hopefully Pocono will have better luck next year with weather.

A spellbinding race with hard racing and fascinating strategy options. Drivers trying to make a living on the razor's edge of control. And some "beatin' and bangin' too. Hard to pass, but it *was* possible to pass. (Most of the guys who claimed it was impossible to pass, well guess what Dude, you were getting passed by others.) 9.0 rating.

If it had gone green to the end we would have seen that battle happen again in the last laps for the win. The 3 and 42 were the fastest cars out there.
My thought was that, if it stayed green, nobody catches the 2, but you might be right. Or maybe the 4?

8.5. would have been my favorite of the year if not rain shortened.

Rough call for me. I am a fan of the best car winning (or a Toyota even if they aren't the best). Kevin Harvick was the best car. Having said that, I enjoyed Kyle's race--adjusting and readjusting. Pure NASCAR stuff with the driver and CC working together. The weather kept me on the edge of my seat. My Toyotas got what the eventually deserved--Top 10's. Although I am not a fan of a trophy for everybody, Chris Buescher seems like a good guy. Who would have thought that he would take home his first trophy before Chase Elliott? I'll go 9.0012 for the entertainment factor. Good stuff.

8.5 Someone was going to win a weather shortened race. Glad it was CB

Who knew? The way to finally get a good race out of Pocono didn't involve changing tires, aero, or dates. All it took was some threatening radar and desperate drivers really going for it. Maybe they could all do that the rest of the season too?

Who knew? The way to finally get a good race out of Pocono didn't involve changing tires, aero, or dates. All it took was some threatening radar and desperate drivers really going for it. Maybe they could all do that the rest of the season too?

I don't get it. Drivers can race like this today with weather threatening and put on a good show. Why can't this happen any other week?

Were you watching the same channel I was?

I believe so as there were a bunch of useless camera shots, fake enthusiasm from the play by play wanker plus incessant talking from Retart and Burton about things inconsequential. NBC is screwing the pooch big time.

I don't get it. Drivers can race like this today with weather threatening and put on a good show. Why can't this happen any other week?

Most of the races are long enough that there is no sense of urgency to race hard until it means something. With bad weather threatening every lap means something.

8 good racing and glad to see an underdog win once in awhile.

It seems that all of the races that are threatened by weather put on the best shows.

Parking and bag checkers/ticket takers and all did a good job in some bad conditions. Also, I heard originally they planned to go at 1230 and they backed it up to 1207 as we were walking in (I heard one of the ticket scanners tell her co-hort) and they still came darn close to getting it all in. Had they gone at 1230 they probably would have made 80 laps but would Beuscher have won? Not likely! So they had their eye on the weather window and I feel, so much depends on the weather, to coin a phrase. You never know how one decision effects myriad outcomes.

It seems that all of the races that are threatened by weather put on the best shows.

We need some smart person to come up with a way to build urgency among the drivers and teams in order to get the guys and gal up on the wheel more often. Maybe an irrigation system could be brought into each track to with it going off at random during the second half of races. I could see Brian going for it.

We need some smart person to come up with a way to build urgency among the drivers and teams in order to get the guys and gal up on the wheel more often. Maybe an irrigation system could be brought into each track to with it going off at random during the second half of races. I could see Brian going for it.

How about inside the car? "It hits the throttle going in, or it gets the hose again!"

The only way that I could see them building some sort of urgency into all races is to reward them for specific points throughout a race. If only it were truly back to a points system along with were the winner was rewarded with a far higher percentage over all another spots. The Chase ruins my scenario but if they could reward bonus points for the 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% & the ultimate of bonus points for wining, they'd have a reason to charge hard throughout the race. The Chase in it's current format does little to create urgency among the field IMO.

Back
Top Bottom