Rate The Race: Sonoma

5. Put me to sleep, get back to an oval asap as that was a snoozer. Some nice hits and wrecks today tho

8.5. Sonoma was racing like a rugby scrum, or maybe MMA mayhem in a steel octagon. For roadracing artistry, the MotoGP race in Holland was superb. Nascar roadracing is a different deal... and I say that in a good way... ;)

Props to the 2 team, which found a strategy to win the race with a caution flag at any point in the last 40 laps. Props to everyone for the 60 green flag laps in the final stage. I was neutral on the stages, the race didn't need them, but the strategy employed was fun to watch.

7.75 best racing I've seen this season was one hell of a race. They need more like this one, hell, just add a couple next season!!!

The cars looked like it was a short track race. There was plenty of good racing, many strategies, a long green flag run, and drivers nursing their cars. It was a good day to watch a race.
8.5. Sonoma was racing like a rugby scrum, or maybe MMA mayhem in a steel octagon. For roadracing artistry, the MotoGP race in Holland was superb. Nascar roadracing is a different deal... and I say that in a good way... ;)

Props to the 2 team, which found a strategy to win the race with a caution flag at any point in the last 40 laps. Props to everyone for the 60 green flag laps in the final stage. I was neutral on the stages, the race didn't need them, but the strategy employed was fun to watch.
^
This right here.
There were so many answers to what Nascar neeeds from this race.
There was real drama no fluffing needed. The DNF driver interviews were worth listening to as they explained what just happened.

A technically tough road course, that doesn't need much aero downforce helps, more mechanical grip is a beautiful thing. There were tires with appreciable degradation, that alone is a real win for the fans.

This race was such a breath of fresh air, so many great things and great stories to cover throughout the feild. I believe it even made it easier for the commentators and made them better. There was a great race to cover and explain, they didn't have to try to be intriguing or interesting. They only had to cover the natural beauty that was evolving before our eyes.

Thats the idea of stages, you can go to town and retrieve a pizza by the time they put the "green flag back in the air" Crap, that reminds me, nbc is next, farq, furshizzle *&#@! nottafinga!

What does '5/7' mean?
  • 5?
  • 7?
  • Somewhere between 5 and 7?
  • .714 (5 divided by 7)?
  • 7.14 (5 divided by 7, multiplied by 10 to fit a 10-point scale)?
  • 5 on a scale of 1 to 7 (when everyone else is using a 10-point scale)?
  • Something else entirely?
o_Oo_Oo_O

What does '5/7' mean?
  • 5?
  • 7?
  • .714 (5 divided by 7)?
o_Oo_Oo_O

You can't calculate it unless using 3.14159265

This was a good race except for the stages. The stages definitely don't belong at the road course. (Note that i'm not a fan of the stages anywhere so take that for what it's worth). Also, I would like to see this race be longer. 350 miles is too short. We all complain about having more road courses on the schedule, so why not start by lengthening the two that are already on the schedule. Another 100-200 miles would have made the race really interesting and really challenging on the drivers.

8. I don't understand the complaints about the stages. This caused some exciting racing for the first half and it was fun to see the strategies play out.
Normally they count backwards to find the first lap they can pit on and drive around all day. Another thing I like is, Yes the 78's day ended badly but he still scored points for the chase so his day was still pretty good.
I don't understand Teams bringing in the ringers, thy never do well overall.
I think Petty would have been better off with Bubba in the car.

Respectfully disagree here but I think I am just looking at it from a different angle.
I didn't like the first half of racing with the stages because it was just two sprint races and cars outside the top 10 just pulled off under green without going laps down. To me this is equivalent to just having the top 10 move to the end of the line and have to fight through traffic like they do at the all-star races. It completely messed with any long term strategy a team could employ.

Having the 78 team score points, is basically like buying your way up the ladder. Less funded teams that were able to finish the race are prevented from making any gains on more well funded teams. The gap of competitive cars between well funded teams and lower tier teams has never been bigger in this sport. It used to be that any car could win on Sunday which made the racing exciting, now there are only about 10 teams that have a legitmate chance at winning the race because the funding gap is so larger.

Ringers used to be a big deal because the teams were more competitive with each other and a ringer had a good chance to win the race. Now, nobody is going to give a ringer a good car because the top teams aren't going to let them get in the car. I think if you look at it the other way, a lot of the cup drivers embarrassed themselves yesterday, JJ 13th, Kenseth 20th, Erik Jones 25th, Larson 26th, Ty Dillon 28th. Look at some of the cup regulars with any kind of road racing experience, Paul Menard 11th, Danica 17th but was running toward the front much of the day, AJ Allmendinger was running near the front all day. Even look at years past, Juan Pablo Montoya destroyed the field one year at Sonoma (while also destroying a jet drier at the easiest track to drive), Marcus Ambrose got a road course win, AJ has a road course win. These three were all driving average cars. What would they have done in a good car?

And I thought Billy Johnson did a great job this weekend for being the first time ever in a cup car, only 6th time in a stock car overall.
I also thought Boris said did a good job even though his end result wasn't good. He certainly seemed to do a better job than J. Earnhardt has been doing. Not a knock on JE but the equipment is just crap.

Again all just IMO. I'm just another viewer with a different look at things. Your opinions are not wrong either, just different.

What does '5/7' mean?
  • 5?
  • 7?
  • .714 (5 divided by 7)?
o_Oo_Oo_O

5'7 ?????

2017-06-26-21-58-21-1004210316.jpg

This was a good race except for the stages. The stages definitely don't belong at the road course. (Note that i'm not a fan of the stages anywhere so take that for what it's worth). Also, I would like to see this race be longer. 350 miles is too short. We all complain about having more road courses on the schedule, so why not start by lengthening the two that are already on the schedule. Another 100-200 miles would have made the race really interesting and really challenging on the drivers.
Would love to that with Cup cars and drivers, all green non stop.

Back
Top Bottom