real race cars on track in two weeks

Why are we complaining about practice? I am very thankful there will be racing in a couple weeks. These drivers are going to be ok without practice. They are professionals. SMH

Because these restarts anymore are beyond insane

It is not that the drivers need the practice. We always here that Nascar cup drivers are the best in the world. We can debate that topic on another thread.
I am just surprised that the teams do not want to at least shake the cars down. I don't care how many times the car is checked and rechecked in the shop. And put on the seven post shaker rig. Nothing is the same as real world on the track. We all have watched the first practice on Fridays and guys have gone out and run one lap and brought the car back to the garage. Maybe because the side skirts are dragging or even the steering box is off or a vibration in the drivdshaft or transmission or rear end. What ever might be found. If shaking a car down is not that important then why do teams bust their ass to get laps on a back up car before last practice is over. Heck even the Po dunk 4cyl street stocks at my local dirt track have warm ups before they race.
But of course when something falls of a car or a brake line blows the first time someone needs the brakes and wipes out 10 cars no teams will say they need warm ups.

It is not that the drivers need the practice. We always here that Nascar cup drivers are the best in the world. We can debate that topic on another thread.
I am just surprised that the teams do not want to at least shake the cars down. I don't care how many times the car is checked and rechecked in the shop. And put on the seven post shaker rig. Nothing is the same as real world on the track. We all have watched the first practice on Fridays and guys have gone out and run one lap and brought the car back to the garage. Maybe because the side skirts are dragging or even the steering box is off or a vibration in the drivdshaft or transmission or rear end. What ever might be found. If shaking a car down is not that important then why do teams bust their ass to get laps on a back up car before last practice is over. Heck even the Po dunk 4cyl street stocks at my local dirt track have warm ups before they race.
But of course when something falls of a car or a brake line blows the first time someone needs the brakes and wipes out 10 cars no teams will say they need warm ups.
Not having back up cars, less crewman because of it and less odds of spreading the virus because of it, saves on the tire bill and owners expenses outweighs that argument. Set the car up conservatively and tweak it during the competition caution. It's that easy.

There's a bug going around. You may have heard. NASCAR is trying to complete race events that they are contractually entitled to receive a large amount of television rights revenue for. Doing so will keep the teams solvent. Cutting preliminary portions of the program has nothing to do with tire bills and everything to do with not unnecessarily jeopardizing participants' health or their ability to hold future events. It won't be business as usual for a while. Hopefully these methods work to allow the schedule to be completed as planned.

At least when the 17 wrecks we can't blame it on no practice because he was probably going to wreck even if he had practiced. :)

Damn, that is who I was talking about but we have not seen any cars in so long that I forgot he changed teams. :oops: Who drives the 17 now? :)
I kind a thought that was who you meant.. and then I thought maybe you were talking about Kenseth, he used to be 17, but it is Buescher, remember they swapped rides and Stenhouse went to the 47. :)

I kind a thought that was who you meant.. and then I thought maybe you were talking about Kenseth, he used to be 17, but it is Buescher, remember they swapped rides and Stenhouse went to the 47. :)
Yep, I just had forgot. It has been a long time since the western swing. :)

lol. You guys dont quit. If you knew the nut and bolt procedure, the sims run on the pull down. you wouldnt worry so much. Guess who isnt worried? The driver. Let it go. They know what they are doing.

Good news is they are racing two races in less than a month. Use the first race as practice if need be, let’s just get racing the rest will fall into place

There's a bug going around. You may have heard. NASCAR is trying to complete race events that they are contractually entitled to receive a large amount of television rights revenue for. Doing so will keep the teams solvent. Cutting preliminary portions of the program has nothing to do with tire bills and everything to do with not unnecessarily jeopardizing participants' health or their ability to hold future events. It won't be business as usual for a while. Hopefully these methods work to allow the schedule to be completed as planned.
It does have to do with the expenses, for the smaller teams at least. Many of them havent gotten sponsor payments and this will level the playing field.

It does have to do with the expenses, for the smaller teams at least. Many of them havent gotten sponsor payments and this will level the playing field.
yeah, Allenbaba said alot of the teams are really hurting and one team might go under if the racing doesn't start soon. Every dollar saved means a lot. Some teams don't have all of the cars needed to race so only bringing one car to the track helps a bunch to even the playing field. Fans need to realize that those with skin in the game know what they are doing like it or not.

I'm not outright disagreeing with you, but that is a tangential benefit, not the primary factor driving the decision to pare down the events. It also misleads fans who are balking at the lack of practice and qualifying to portray it as an elective cost cutting move. If the spread of the virus had somehow been vanquished, they would be holding practice and qualifying sessions. They can't afford the increased risks, that's what is not worth it at this time.

I'm not outright disagreeing with you, but that is a tangential benefit, not the primary factor driving the decision to pare down the events. It also misleads fans who are balking at the lack of practice and qualifying to portray it as an elective cost cutting move. If the spread of the virus had somehow been vanquished, they would be holding practice and qualifying sessions. They can't afford the increased risks, that's what is not worth it at this time.
I think you have misunderstood. It isn't about my point is larger than your point. It's about the virus and dollars and cents working together. Some teams are in dire straits because they haven't earned the money that comes from racing. So measures made to save money and at the same time provide a safe way of doing so is the goal.

You're right, the primary reason is social distancing so we can cut the events for the most part to a one day show so we can get the money flowing back through the veins of the sport again. Still several teams would suffer today if they allowed practice sessions and qualifying. Im sure credit could be extended but that note will come due sooner or later. But overall I think we agree.

I know all to we'll what it costs to own and run a race car. But I don't see how one set of tires for practice is going to brake anyone.
Also you should agree that it doesn't matter how well the car is checked and double checked at the shop. Until the car is at speed and under load no one is 100 % sure of the car. I know the teams want to race and they need the money. But I can't believe that they are all OK racing without practice.
How many times has something simple been discovered on the first practice lap that can be caught and fixed before wrecking the car. Now that same problem will be under green on the first lap and a day possible ruined.

No practice is the absolute BEST thing to come out of this. Some of the best racing you ever see is when practice gets cancelled. Let them figure out what they need in the race and the best team wins!

And the best team won. No practice. Jimmie Johnson might have been in victory lane hated that for him.

Back
Top Bottom