Restrictor Plates At Charlotte?

I think NASCAR has made it pretty clear its not up to what the drivers want. The fans control this sport, and the fans will never fully agree.. case and point... who wishes they would just bring the tandem back to the plate tracks? I know I do...

This...

Jimmie-Johnson-checkered-flag-Daytona-500-2013-nascar-626x417.jpg

Or This...

image.jpg

Could use a different winner lol but I think many fans would rather see the tandem return than to have to suffer through another Snoozefest 500 in february... I'd bet it's many of the same fans that complained about it to the point where they rewrote the rules.
Nope no way....tandem was a joke and a gimmick, not true racing. It is painfully obvious that Nascar once again is trying to put a band aide on a major gash. Fix the aero, the speeds will come down if the cars aren't sucking down into the pavement, let them play with the spoiler angle and suspensions more. I've been saying this for a few years now, playing around with the restriction of HP just doesn't work, as is evident at Daytona and Dega.

I would rather see speed bumps, than RP tracks.

When you can run without lifting something incredible has been lost in a race. There is something magical about watching a skilled driver master a Martinsville, Darlington, Richmond, Watkins Glen etc. You can see the precision and skill even when running a qualifying lap.
In contrast a car running qualifying lap at Daytona or Talladega is boring.

A track that doesn't demand brake use, and the demand to roll through or near the apexes should be redesigned or condemned.
Drivers should fight the track as much as they fight each other on the track.
+1 When the drivers have to lift out of the throttle it takes skill to know when and how much. This is why Danica is a zero factor on tracks where this happens and brakes have to be used. Any knucklehead can hold a car WOT and just steer it around and this is why plate tracks are a crap shoot. It takes the skill out of the race to a large degree. RP racing is one of the dumbest things nascar has ever implemented.

Give them the big power and if the car wont stick in the turns then they will get out of it. Getting back on the throttle is also a skill and not using it like an on/off switch. This is the top level of racing and I dont want the cars limited anymore than they already are. I am not watching to see JJ or Kyle run a 450 horsepower car around in a circle. I am watching to see them wheel 900 horsepower on the ragged edge.

+1 When the drivers have to lift out of the throttle it takes skill to know when and how much. This is why Danica is a zero factor on tracks where this happens and brakes have to be used. Any knucklehead can hold a car WOT and just steer it around and this is why plate tracks are a crap shoot. It takes the skill out of the race to a large degree. RP racing is one of the dumbest things nascar has ever implemented.
I love you! :wub:

I wish I could like this more than once. Spot on. Great way to sum up why us anti-RP people hate what Daytona and Talladega racing has become.

you guys hear restricter plates and think its a cuss word. The HP of the cars needs to be scaled back, anytime you can add more of the element of the draft on a 1.5 mile track the better the racing is. go watch some racing this year from the NW and trucks. you could watch a faster truck cut to the bottom and the truck behind them pull up behind the truck the bottom truck was trying to pass. but because there was no drafting help behind they ended up loosing 2 spots, OR lets say the bottom truck had another truck cutt to the bottom with drafting help from behind both trucks pick up 7-8 mph on the truck being passed. this makes for really exciting racing and tons of passing back in the pack.

some here have suggested making other changes to the engines, bull crap I say, why because mandating other things takes creative advantages the teams may gain away from them. a tapered spacer as they are looking at means all thats got to be adjusted the amount of fuel and possibly some other minor changes.

twisted sisters..glad they are gone.
Interestingly enough, not one of the top 40 closest finishes in Cup's electronic scoring history (1993-) has occurred on a 1.5- or 2-mile track since 2006 - a year before the COT was run part-time. Since 2007 the only such finishes have been on restrictor plate tracks and at Bristol, Martinsville, and New Hampshire (once each). 2004-2006 alone saw six such finishes at Homestead, Charlotte, Texas, Las Vegas, Kansas, and Atlanta. Maybe the late Gen-4s weren't so bad after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_closest_NASCAR_Sprint_Cup_Series_finishes

better read that list again, since 2007, 21 races on the list are the closest. That is in a six year span. The previous 14 years there are only 18 races listed..So the newer car starting with the car of tomorrow have produced the closest finishes by far.

Last edited:
I just did, in only six years 21 races in the newer car are on the record books. Not to mention how much safer they are.
I count 17 from 2007-2012. And 14 of those were at plate tracks - the home of manufactured drama. The other three, like I said, were all back in 2007 at short tracks. The racing on cookie cutters with the COT and Gen-6 is nowhere near as close as it was with the Gen-4 car.

Like I have been saying all along, the Gen 4's were the worst AERO car they made. Don't take my word for it, read what Earnhardt says.

GEN 4
But Gen 4 cars were as aerodynamically sensitive as any prototype sports car ever fielded at Le Mans. One little bump on a fender and a driver's day was done. Earnhardt used to say that if he could clone himself and race against himself in an old Monte Carlo from the 1970s versus a new Monte Carlo, he'd win in the old one every time. He would beat on the new one and "rough it up" until it became aerodynamically dysfunctional, while the tougher old one motored on.

In distorted retrospect, some fans think they had brand identification in Gen 4. All I know is, without the logos and a micrometer, you couldn't tell one make from another.

GEN 5
The COT, now filed away in history under the less painful term Gen 5, was vastly safer -- wider, roomier, with cocoon-like survival cells as seats -- than anything before. And it was much tougher than the prissy Gen 4 de facto prototypes. In a throwback to Gen 2, drivers could slam and bang and keep on trucking, even at Daytona and Talladega, with the thick-skinned COT.

With the COT, the spectacular could be safe -- drivers walked away from the "big ones" at Daytona and Talladega, emboldening them to risk more spectacular wrecks, such as Kyle Busch's wild ride as he narrowly lost to Tony Stewart at Daytona in July of 2009.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cu...car-gen-6-cars-us-look-back-previous-cup-cars

Like I have been saying all along, the Gen 4's were the worst AERO car they made. Don't take my word for it, read what Earnhardt says.

GEN 4
But Gen 4 cars were as aerodynamically sensitive as any prototype sports car ever fielded at Le Mans. One little bump on a fender and a driver's day was done. Earnhardt used to say that if he could clone himself and race against himself in an old Monte Carlo from the 1970s versus a new Monte Carlo, he'd win in the old one every time. He would beat on the new one and "rough it up" until it became aerodynamically dysfunctional, while the tougher old one motored on.

In distorted retrospect, some fans think they had brand identification in Gen 4. All I know is, without the logos and a micrometer, you couldn't tell one make from another.

GEN 5
The COT, now filed away in history under the less painful term Gen 5, was vastly safer -- wider, roomier, with cocoon-like survival cells as seats -- than anything before. And it was much tougher than the prissy Gen 4 de facto prototypes. In a throwback to Gen 2, drivers could slam and bang and keep on trucking, even at Daytona and Talladega, with the thick-skinned COT.

With the COT, the spectacular could be safe -- drivers walked away from the "big ones" at Daytona and Talladega, emboldening them to risk more spectacular wrecks, such as Kyle Busch's wild ride as he narrowly lost to Tony Stewart at Daytona in July of 2009.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cu...car-gen-6-cars-us-look-back-previous-cup-cars
Hinton is a wanker and his commentary shouldn't be used to support any sort of argument. Read the comments - most of the fans were raving about the Gen-4.

not to mention all the wall smacking that goes on in races lately and they keep on going, with the twisted sister if they could keep going, they were usually done being competitive.

you guys hear restricter plates and think its a cuss word. The HP of the cars needs to be scaled back, anytime you can add more of the element of the draft on a 1.5 mile track the better the racing is. go watch some racing this year from the NW and trucks. you could watch a faster truck cut to the bottom and the truck behind them pull up behind the truck the bottom truck was trying to pass. but because there was no drafting help behind they ended up loosing 2 spots, OR lets say the bottom truck had another truck cutt to the bottom with drafting help from behind both trucks pick up 7-8 mph on the truck being passed. this makes for really exciting racing and tons of passing back in the pack.

Yes, and the races will be a crap shoot because the drivers hold the pedal down the whole way around and Travis Kvapil will have a chance to win the Coca-Cola 600 in awful equipment.

Yes, and the races will be a crap shoot because the drivers hold the pedal down the whole way around and Travis Kvapil will have a chance to win the Coca-Cola 600 in awful equipment.

Do you really think that? nah, not going to happen, doesn't happen in the Trucks or Nationwide. The top teams will be out front, the cars will be slower and more manageable and four wide in the turn, just like the trucks and Nationwide. You hit the setup right and you can still run away with it, but it will be even harder to do so. If you caught the last truck race, Blaney and Burton gave Kyle a run for his money, even though both of them hit the wall, they came back from that and ran him ragged. Tapered spacer IMO played a big part in evening up the competition in trucks and the same thing with a smaller carb in Nationwide, so I can't see why it won't work in cup.

Exactly...If you slow them down, they will be wide open all the time at most of the 1.5s. Tapered spacers aren't the answer, the aero is.

You know what would make the NASCAR races more racy? Push to pass buttons.

:partytime

I'm serious though. Open-wheel cars are basically all aero. Indy and F1 had this problem 20 years ago. Push to pass means the guy behind has a short period of time where he's faster than the guy in front. Aero doesn't mean crap when you temporarily have 25 more hp than the guy in front of you. I'm sure I'll get boo'ed out of the thread and asinine "like a video game" comparisons will be made, but I'm sticking by it as my solution to "boring" racing (even though I don't think this past season was even that bad).

All I have to say is GOD FORBID Stock Car racing become more 'spec racing' than it already is. Killing the Horsepower will kill the sport.

Give them all the power they can make and let the drivers figure out the rest. Put the drivers back in control and let them and the teams manage the tires ect... Also, let the teams chose the rear gears they want. If they think they can turn 10K rpm and make it live let them try. Sick and tired of nascar becoming IROC.

Stock bodies with stock floorboards. Cars that punch bigger holes in the air make it easier for the car that's drafting to pull out and pass. If a Ford Fiesta can handle 650 HP with a stock shell I'm sure the bigger cars can too. That way there is more of a premium on driver skill and not an aero package. Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=4TshFWSsrn8&vq=medium#t

I love the way they drive those things.

Makes sense.. I wouldn't mind seeing the progressive banking be a thing of the past at most tracks either.

Doesnt seem like the progressive banking has worked quite like it was supposed to on any track. They used it at Phoenix to obtain multiple grooves and its not happening.

Back
Top Bottom