Richard Childress Racing makes crew chief change for Austin Dillon

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Richard Childress Racing has made a change in crew chiefs for its Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series and NASCAR XFINITY Series programs, effective immediately.

Justin Alexander, who has served as the crew chief of the #2 Rheem/Menards Chevrolet for RCR and earned two wins last season in the NASCAR XFINITY Series, will assume crew chief responsibilities for the #3 Dow/American Ethanol/AAA Chevrolet SS team in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series with driver Austin Dillon. Alexander holds a degree in Mechanical Engineering from North Carolina State University. Prior to RCR, Alexander served in various engineering roles with Hendrick Motorsports. Alexander's first race in his new role will be for the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on May 28, replacing Richard "Slugger" Labbe. Labbe is leaving the company to pursue other opportunities.

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/19436548

Well, I guess the things we heard on radioactive was not all smoke and mirrors.

Slugger will probably get picked up by someone, he's a very talented CC. Austin had his career season with Slugger, but I think he's had enough of Austin.

dillion is a whiner. hes even above kyle bu even more than a regular cup driver.

That is three or four key positions Childress has changed so far this year. The track bar or whatever it was loose right before they dropped the flag on the 3 was pretty bad a couple races back.

Can't say I'm surprised. I thought it was odd that Labbe missed the Richmond race to "focus on the Talladega car"

I would think RC would have paired Dillon with Danny Stockman who was the CC when Austin won his Nationwide title, and they did pretty well together in that series. I am getting worried that the 3 might not win a race anytime soon.

Good move in my opinion. Really like the Dillon boys and would like to see them progress a bit but Austin hasn't since he came to Cup. Austin needs to be more aggressive and not be worried about pissing off a veteran on the track I feel. Needs to be the bad guy and embrace it.

Good move in my opinion. Really like the Dillon boys and would like to see them progress a bit but Austin hasn't since he came to Cup. Austin needs to be more aggressive and not be worried about pissing off a veteran on the track I feel. Needs to be the bad guy and embrace it.

One thing is to be a "bag guy" and be fast and another being a bad guy and be slow at the same time.

Simply put, he doesn't have the credentials to act in any such ways.

That whole Organization by the way is a dumpster fire. They have been mediocre for years. Harvick maintained them through the 2000s by sheer skills. And now they're living vicariously through Newman's abilities to get a lot out of slow cars.

When Newman departs, RCR will be worst off than Roush even.

May be off base and irrelevant but I wonder if having to carry the 3 has impacted Austin.

Just guessing but I think Aussie puts more thought into his cowboy hats......unless it is his brother that wears them and if that is they case forget about what I said.

One thing is to be a "bag guy" and be fast and another being a bad guy and be slow at the same time.

That whole Organization by the way is a dumpster fire. They have been mediocre for years. Harvick maintained them through the 2000s by sheer skills. And now they're living vicariously through Newman's abilities to get a lot out of slow cars.

Nepotism and ride buying rule at RCR.

Austin made the chase last year and had some good races.
I wouldn't say they are on the verge of winning even last year. But they were legitimate top 10 contenders.
Austin isnt on Larson's level, but a lot better than pathetic imo.
Maybe a change will help, better than than staying in the current rut. And there have been some misses this year.
The trailing arm at Texas, and the alternator problems for him and Newman at Atlanta, something was goung on more than just a little bad luck.

I dont disagree at all but hope they find something. I like the Hemric kid they have in Xfinity who will probably replace Newman but until they can get the cars right I'm afraid it'll just be more of the same.

Austin made the chase last year and had some good races.
I wouldn't say they are on the verge of winning even last year. But they were legitimate top 10 contenders.
Austin isnt on Larson's level, but a lot better than pathetic imo.
Maybe a change will help, better than than staying in the current rut. And there have been some misses this year.
The trailing arm at Texas, and the alternator problems for him and Newman at Atlanta, something was goung on more than just a little bad luck.

Yeah this, compared to last year they have slipped. Austin had 6 top 10's and a pole by this time last year. They have one top 10 and the rest aren't even that close. Best starting position 11th.

If Austin Dillon ever wins a cup race I wouldn't care. Just hope I never see the #3 in victory lane again unless it's an Earnhardt behind the wheel. And not Jeffery either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Austin Dillon ever wins a cup race I wouldn't care. Just hope I never see the #3 in victory lane again unless it's an Earnhardt behind the wheel. And not Jeffery either.

I hate this attitude to each his own I guess but, I think it's cool that the 3 is on the track again and a whole new generation of fans get to learn the history behind it that never got the chance to see Dale race or RCR be a top team. Unfortunately though I think it will be a bit before Austin wins. If ever.

I hate this attitude to each his own I guess but, I think it's cool that the 3 is on the track again and a whole new generation of fans get to learn the history behind it that never got the chance to see Dale race or RCR be a top team. Unfortunately though I think it will be a bit before Austin wins. If ever.

Oh I think Austin will win one..He has a long time to be in the series racing for one. Ex. Paul Menard.

Oh I think Austin will win one..He has a long time to be in the series racing for one. Ex. Paul Menard.
maybe a random Dega or Daytona victory but I have trouble seeing RCR improve on the 1.5 mile'rs especially and I dont think of Austin as a short track ace where he will contend at Martinsville or Bristol. But you're right he should be driving in Cup for a long while, I hope RCR gets better they are probably one my favorite race teams in all of motorsports.

I guess this move serves as a credibility check for the journos and TV talking heads. Ever since Slugger was moved to the 3 team in mid-2015, I've been hearing how good this pairing was for Austin Dillon and his on-track performance. Right up until Slugger was benched by Childress for the Martinsville race. Does this move show how little the talking heads know? Or does it show something else? (I do agree the trailing arms and alternators were dual embarrassments.)

I would think RC would have paired Dillon with Danny Stockman who was the CC when Austin won his Nationwide title, and they did pretty well together in that series. I am getting worried that the 3 might not win a race anytime soon.
They might have won a championship together but they didn't win any races. That championship was a fluke.

They might have won a championship together but they didn't win any races. That championship was a fluke.
Correction... that championship was not a fluke. It was pre-Chase Nascar points racing, where the guy with more wins, more top 5's and more top 10's ranked lower in the points. This was because Nascar's flat points scale props up the mid-field runners by giving them nearly as many points as the winners and other front runners, encouraging conservative racing for safer finishes.

Judging by broad sentiment here at R-F, a lot of people like this style of racing. I'm not one of them. I favor a championship format with more incentives to win or run up front.

We know that Austin Dillon has the skill to win Xfinity races and run up front, because he has done that ever since he was unshackled from the Xfinity championship points system. IMO, it is a shame that he drove with a "coast & collect" mentality when he was an Xfinity regular, but that is what the pre-Chase championship format encouraged. Just my $0.02.

Correction... that championship was not a fluke. It was pre-Chase Nascar points racing, where the guy with more wins, more top 5's and more top 10's ranked lower in the points. This was because Nascar's flat points scale props up the mid-field runners by giving them nearly as many points as the winners and other front runners, encouraging conservative racing for safer finishes.

Judging by broad sentiment here at R-F, a lot of people like this style of racing. I'm not one of them. I favor a championship format with more incentives to win or run up front.

We know that Austin Dillon has the skill to win Xfinity races and run up front, because he has done that ever since he was unshackled from the Xfinity championship points system. IMO, it is a shame that he drove with a "coast & collect" mentality when he was an Xfinity regular, but that is what the pre-Chase championship format encouraged. Just my $0.02.

That was also a championship that was won in a year dominated by cup drivers. How can you truly crown a series champ when the field is so saturated by cuppers? Not to hijack the thread but I've always said it was a bastardized championship.

He’s in the best ride he’ll ever have. When he starts doing something with it I’ll take notice. Until then, he’s as good as his last race.

That was also a championship that was won in a year dominated by cup drivers. How can you truly crown a series champ when the field is so saturated by cuppers? Not to hijack the thread but I've always said it was a bastardized championship.

so was the one that 18 won in cup. but they both are still champions. they both played by the rules at the time.

FWIW, I still believe Paul/Menards will end up at Penske.

Paul is not interested with the BS at RCR IMHO, I think last year at Richmond was telling.

I'd like to see Paul excel with better teammates in Logano and Keselowski.

Paul Menard reacts to his name being brought up in two consecutive posts on racing-forums.com.....

Paul Menard Reacts.jpg

The politicaly correct explanation..My opinion, he got tired, full up of being cussed at by the little sheet and he went off on him

Back
Top Bottom