Richard Petty

Thegeneral23

Team Owner
Can someone please explain to me why is he the (KING)? I know he won a billion races. But the dude car was 5x better than everybody else's at the time.. dude was lapping the second place car by laps and 3rd place car by even more than that..I just got into this sport not even 2 years ago. it's so different the way talent is considered in this sport lol compared to others.. in other sports like basketball , football , baseball ,soccer it's the human that's the talent not a machine.. Don't get me wrong I love the excitement I get from NASCAR but the talent in NASCAR is the car and it starts at the shop.. I watched on racehub today how petty was kicking everyone but with a HEMI engine than it was banned for a year.. then came back.. so for that year how was he so great instead of the engine ?? I'm just trying to understand how a guy is so glorified when it's clear as day it was always his cars.

Can of worms and a zillion opinions, none of which really matters.
He’s the king because he’s just about the last one of that era still upright and still involved in racing? :idunno:

Can someone please explain to me why is he the (KING)? I know he won a billion races. But the dude car was 5x better than everybody else's at the time.. dude was lapping the second place car by laps and 3rd place car by even more than that..I just got into this sport not even 2 years ago. it's so different the way talent is considered in this sport lol compared to others.. in other sports like basketball , football , baseball ,soccer it's the human that's the talent not a machine.. Don't get me wrong I love the excitement I get from NASCAR but the talent in NASCAR is the car and it starts at the shop.. I watched on racehub today how petty was kicking everyone but with a HEMI engine than it was banned for a year.. then came back.. so for that year how was he so great instead of the engine ?? I'm just trying to understand how a guy is so glorified when it's clear as day it was always his cars.

Elvis is the King as far as I am concerned.

But on a serious note , can someone help me out with this lol.. don't say he the king just because he still goes to the track and he is from that era..

Well he's the king because he still goes to the track and he is from that era.

This has been driving me crazy since I got into NASCAR.. the more and more I listen and do my research on him.. the more I realize it was all car.. lapping the field and putting everybody down 3-5 Laps come on man that's crazy.. he had to have a damn ROCKET! Lol

This has been driving me crazy since I got into NASCAR.. the more and more I listen and do my research on him.. the more I realize it was all car.. lapping the field and putting everybody down 3-5 Laps come on man that's crazy.. he had to have a damn ROCKET! Lol
It wasn’t all car. Do some more research. A lot of his wins were at podunk tracks, dirt tracks, etc with very minimal quality competition.

Same reason why most folks say Joe Montana is better than Dan Marino. Montana has the rings. Marino might have been better, but he didn't have the same help around him. The numbers don't really care, it's all about results.

I don't think Petty is the best, but I wasn't even alive when he was winning races. But 200 wins is very impressive no matter how you slice it

Same reason why most folks say Joe Montana is better than Dan Marino. Montana has the rings. Marino might have been better, but he didn't have the same help around him. The numbers don't really care, it's all about results.

I don't think Petty is the best, but I wasn't even alive when he was winning races. But 200 wins is very impressive no matter how you slice it
I get what' your saying ..but if your lapping the whole field by laps don't that say something about how much better your car is compared to everyone else's?? Or do people consider that to be Pettys doing?? I'm just trying to understand this lol

I get what' your saying ..but if your lapping the whole field by laps don't that say something about how much better your car is compared to everyone else's?? Or do people consider that to be Pettys doing?? I'm just trying to understand this lol

Good question. Probably a little of both. He might have still been the best driver in the field, even without the car that was way better than the competition. It's hard to say, and it's really hard to compare eras.

Lee Petty Engineering / then Petty Enterprises was the first or among the very first race team / teams to receive manufacturer financial and engineering support and the first to receive major backing from corporate America.

More resources than the majority of their competitors. They were caught and passed long ago.

Petty did have a better car but in those times the drivers were also the owners therefore building the cars. 200 wins and 7 Championships are the benchmark for drivers today which makes him the King. Amazing that we have Jimmie looking to top 7 and Kyle nearing 200 NASCAR wins.

Lee Petty Engineering / then Petty Enterprises was the first or among the very first race team / teams to receive manufacturer financial and engineering support and the first to receive major backing from corporate America.

More resources than the majority of their competitors. They were caught and passed long ago.
THANKU!! This is what I been looking for lol.. ok so if he had all this how is he the king?? It wasn't him it was everything else around him.. I can't be the only one to see that..

Petty was also one of the first two car teams in NASCAR and kickstarted owners having multiple teams like we see today.

Petty was also one of the first two car teams in NASCAR and kickstarted owners having multiple teams like we see today.
I get all that but I'm talking bout talent .. not everything else, im talking bout driving ..

THANKU!! This is what I been looking for lol.. ok so if he had all this how is he the king?? It wasn't him it was everything else around him.. I can't be the only one to see that..
The Kings of England were often drunkards, gluttonous, suffered from the effects of syphylis and some of them were mentally ill.

They were still The Kings.

OK, what the hell.'ll take a crack at this. Richard Petty is the King, and has been known as such since he won his 55th race and surpassed his own father's record, won ten races in a row, 27 in a season, soon to be followed by his 100th win and his fourth championship, the first to do that too. Yes, Richard had equipment that was among the very best out there, but just like today, so did just about everyone else that was actually winning races., and it was Richard and his family that built and maintained those cars in their back yard too , not some hired gun company like Holman Moody. Yes, many of Richard's wins were podunk races on podunk tracks against less than stellar competition, but that was the nature of the sport then. There were 40-60 races a season then, and only a handful of paved tracks in the country. All the other big stars COULD have shown up to all those races too, but many didn't. That's not Richard's fault. Just like the Chase, you play the game according to whatever rules apply, stupid or not. The other big key was that Richard was a friendly personable guy, and he spent time with the fans and they LOVED HIM for it. It's always been my opinion that David Pearson was a better driver, but Pearson mostly by choice only competed in about half the races Richard did. Pearson only ran for the title three times, and won every time, but you can't hold it against Petty that he ran for the title EVERY year, except the 1965 Chrysler boycott year. Was the Hemi a superior engine? It was the best thing out there at the time, but others had it too and did a LOT less with it. Ford was soon a close match for it, and Chevy could have been too, if they had bothered to try, which they didn't until the Hemi was past it's prime. Was Richard Petty the most talented driver ever to climb into a stock car? Probably not even the secord or third best, but he put in his time, was there every week and competed and won year after year when others came and went. Is Tom Brady the best QB to ever throw a football? Probably not, but he has found a way to consistently perform at a high level year after year and that has translated to Super Bowl rings, which ultimately is the name of the game. Richard Petty changed the perception and the reality of the sport, and in an era when most American could likely only name three race car drivers total, Richard was one of those. Richard Petty is the King because he holds almost all of the real significant records in the sport, has been around since day one, (he was there helping his dad at the very first Strictly Stock race in 1949, and built a fan base that has been rivaled only by Dale Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon in the entire history of the sport, and did it in an era when no races were shown flag to flag live, there was no internet or NASCAR TV shows or anything else. He's generally not one of my favorite people, but you cannot deny him his place in history. He EARNED it.

I guess coming from other sports when the human is the talent and not the machine I look at stuff different.. in NASCAR whoever has the fastest car and most money backing them I guess is the best :idunno:

Many of his wins came against weak competition, but many of his wins came against drivers and teams on the same (or nearly the same) playing field. There were many times he beat legendary drivers/teams "fair and square"

He's "The King" because he was the first to dominate and the first to win a ton of races. Can't fault him for that, no matter what cars he drove

OK, what the hell.'ll take a crack at this. Richard Petty is the King, and has been known as such since he won his 55th race and surpassed his own father's record, won ten races in a row, 27 in a season, soon to be followed by his 100th win and his fourth championship, the first to do that too. Yes, Richard had equipment that was among the very best out there, but just like today, so did just about everyone else that was actually winning races., and it was Richard and his family that built and maintained those cars in their back yard too , not some hired gun company like Holman Moody. Yes, many of Richard's wins were podunk races on podunk tracks against less than stellar competition, but that was the nature of the sport then. There were 40-60 races a season then, and only a handful of paved tracks in the country. All the other big stars COULD have shown up to all those races too, but many didn't. That's not Richard's fault. Just like the Chase, you play the game according to whatever rules apply, stupid or not. The other big key was that Richard was a friendly personable guy, and he spent time with the fans and they LOVED HIM for it. It's always been my opinion that David Pearson was a better driver, but Pearson mostly by choice only competed in about half the races Richard did. Pearson only ran for the title three times, and won every time, but you can't hold it against Petty that he ran for the title EVERY year, except the 1965 Chrysler boycott year. Was the Hemi a superior engine? It was the best thing out there at the time, but others had it too and did a LOT less with it. Ford was soon a close match for it, and Chevy could have been too, if they had bothered to try, which they didn't until the Hemi was past it's prime. Was Richard Petty the most talented driver ever to climb into a stock car? Probably not even the secord or third best, but he put in his time, was there every week and competed and won year after year when others came and went. Is Tom Brady the best QB to ever throw a football? Probably not, but he has found a way to consistently perform at a high level year after year and that has translated to Super Bowl rings, which ultimately is the name of the game. Richard Petty changed the perception and the reality of the sport, and in an era when most American could likely only name three race car drivers total, Richard was one of those. Richard Petty is the King because he holds almost all of the real significant records in the sport, has been around since day one, (he was there helping his dad at the very first Strictly Stock race 1n 1949, and built a fan base that has been rivaled by Dale Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon in the entire history of the sport. He's generally not one of my favorite people, but you cannot deny him his place in history. He EARNED it.
Well said my friend ... Thanku

He also raced for 35 years with 1,000+ starts...that's an incredible feat. The knowledge on how his cars work...his knowledge on the sport...the friends he has the garage. He was born into this sport...going to races to watch his dad who was in the first race of the "Strictly Stock" NASCAR series. Here he is...68 years later still at the track every week. He was born into the sport and he'll die in the sport. His career is just one aspect of him being in NASCAR. It also just happened to be one of the most successful careers ever.

As someone suggested do more research, but take time to really absorb it. Go deep and read books, articles about him.

Petty was a transcendent racer in his era. Yes he had a great racing operation and team, but there were a few others who also had great cars. Richard knew how to drive any race track. He knew how to make adjustments and helped advance the sport.

He won tons of races and beat very outstanding drivers for a lot of years. Allison, Pearson, Yarborough, Jarrett, etc.

What made Petty the KING, in addition to all that, was WHO he was. EVERYBODY KNEW WHO RICHARD PETTY WAS. He had a dynamic southern personality, was a genuine person, and went out of his way to connect with his fans. There are countless stories of how he stayed behind after races, sometimes for hours, to sign autographs and mingle with his fans. He is a legendary figure who raised stock car racing into the national scene. Without Richard Petty I'm not sure the sport would have grown so successfully.

As a young teenager I was able to attend the "world premier" of the movie titled "The Richard Petty Story". It wasn't a huge hit by any means but a good bio and decently made. Coming out of that movie into the lobby, standing and clicking his fingers together into his hands, was Richard Petty. I stood in awe for a bit, then got the courage to shake his hand. He made a point to chat and ask how I liked the movie. I remember asking him how he felt during the bad Darlington wreck. He said he didn't feel much until he woke up from being knocked out..and laughed.

Great man, great driver, and forever The King.

I get all that but I'm talking bout talent .. not everything else, im talking bout driving ..

OK, I believe you are a Kyle Busch fan right? The way I see it Petty took his car to a bunch of races all over and honed his craft. Just like Kyle does in Xfinity and Trucks. You don't race that much and suck at it.

I guess coming from other sports when the human is the talent and not the machine I look at stuff different.. in NASCAR whoever has the fastest car and most money backing them I guess is the best :idunno:

Well, in team sports, you always wonder "is this person THAT GOOD, or are they a good player on a great team?" Another point I will make is that back in Petty's era, a driver COULD make up for a lot of deficiencies in the race car and make more of a difference than the drivers of today can. A lot of those 200 races were won because Richard Petty WAS the driver, NOT someone else. If you are going to denigrate Petty because he had really good cars, then you have to say the same thing about Cale Yarborough, Dale Earnhardt, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Tony Stewart and Kyle Busch.

Back
Top Bottom