Rick Hendrick: "Some things are going to happen in the next 24 months" re: new schedule, OEMs

How can a new manufacturer come into Nascar and start with a competitive team of at least 3 cars?? The only one close to that is RCR and they are the weakest team of them all. Maybe and its a big maybe, Penske could go back to Dodge after his contract is up with Ford but they would have to give him a great contract.
Why would a new manufacturer have to start with 3-car teams? Penske was competitive with two Dodges, and only expanded to three Fords when he found a driver worth a third effort.

Jimmy and Lesa sat on their asses and let the bloated little junkie drunkard begin the ruination of a once strong entity. At best it is willful blindness (stupidity) or at worst dereliction of duty.
Everything you said is pure speculation, you have no facts only opinion. You talk crap about these people as if you have inside knowledge on how this organization runs and its obvious you dont have a clue. You really tell it like it aint.

That is a far cry from Nascar where there are 5 teams supporting 6-8 cars each and a couple S&P teams. It looks to me like IMSA is an owner or manufacturer series open to competition where as Nascar is a sealed organization that forbids new owners or manufacturers.

Well, there are some differences in the two series. For one, a new manufacturer to IMSA has to pay a pretty healthy fee to be an "approved manufacturer", but the cost to play for the manufacturer is far less. Also, make no mistake, IMSA is not driven by attendance or TV deals or sponsors. IMSA is driven by manufacturers and rich guys spending their own money. Most of the sponsors are for token amounts, and many are the car owner's own businesses. In IMSA, you have a lot of pay to play drivers, and I don't mean by bringing sponsorship, but by actually writing the car owner a check. Grand Am could get along quite well with very little manufacturer money, but the new IMSA, like the ALMS before it is totally dead in the water without manufacturer money, which is why it's only a matter when, not if it hits the skids just as sportscar racing in America does every so many years. NASCAR is not closed, they would desperately like to have new manufacturers, BUT, there are a lot of hoops to jumps through and HUGE financial commitment, including the fact that at least for now, you have to be willing to design and build a race only pushrod V8 engine. That doesn't come cheap.

If Jim France was so clever he never would have allowed his pill popping bloated little alkie nephew to ruin a series he has ownership in. That is not the hallmark of a sharp person.
Nobody makes the best decision every single time, esp. when other decision makers are involved, esp. when family is involved. But feel free to suggest someone else to run the show.

Everything you said is pure speculation, you have no facts only opinion. You talk crap about these people as if you have inside knowledge on how this organization runs and its obvious you dont have a clue. You really tell it like it aint.

Inside info is not needed. What kind of water heads hire Brian France to do a job and leave him in place after gaffe after gaffe punctuated by an embarrassing arrest? Brian France has done far more damage to Nascar than any driver ever has. Brian is Jimmy and Lesa’s boy.

Jimmy and Lesa sat on their asses and let the bloated little junkie drunkard begin the ruination of a once strong entity. At best it is willful blindness (stupidity) or at worst dereliction of duty.
QS_cbb81332e255479ca1007d3f2cb654f1.jpg

Nobody makes the best decision every single time, esp. when other decision makers are involved, esp. when family is involved. But feel free to suggest someone else to run the show.

I will give them a pass for hiring him but I don’t for not removing him after he showed he wasn’t up for the job.

He didn’t show up at the track, provided no leadership and often time seem drunk and incoherent. You just can’t leave a guy like that in place but Jim and Lesa did for many years.

I will give them a pass for hiring him but I don’t for not removing him after he showed he wasn’t up for the job.

He didn’t show up at the track, provided no leadership and often time seem drunk and incoherent. You just can’t leave a guy like that in place but Jim and Lesa did for many years.
Do you know that Jim didn't push to have him removed but was overruled by the rest of the board? I'm not saying he did, only asking if you know one way or the other.

No, the guy isn't the second coming of Big Bill, but then he made a mistake or two himself.

Do you know that Jim didn't push to have him removed but was overruled by the rest of the board? I'm not saying he did, only asking if you know one way or the other.

No, the guy isn't the second coming of Big Bill, but then he made a mistake or two himself.

All I know is that Jim and Lesa owned the company and left Brian in charge. A good board of directors would have got rid Brian ages ago and it was more likely the board was pressured into keeping him.

It's a lot easier and cheaper to put together a program in IMSA, for both privateers and manufacturers.

F1 has four manufacturers and IndyCar has two, so NASCAR having three isn't out of the ordinary. IMSA's structure is vastly different from most.

NASCAR should be the same way considering it is called "Stock Car" racing. IMSA is definitely more stock than NASCAR in many aspects.

NASCAR should be the same way considering it is called "Stock Car" racing. IMSA is definitely more stock than NASCAR in many aspects.
It’s also a lot easier to get injured in sports car racing than in NASCAR, and that is without flying around ovals at sustained speeds. NASCAR made a decision to create the safest race cars on the planet. Can’t fault them for that.

Why would a new manufacturer have to start with 3-car teams? Penske was competitive with two Dodges, and only expanded to three Fords when he found a driver worth a third effort.

Penske has been around for a long time and his operation can move where it wants.
How can you develop a motor program, chassis program, hire the engineers required and have all that expense shared by 1 or 2 cars? Even three teams sharing would require some heavy manufacturing expenditures and would require some top spending sponsors.
You also need to get a top 5 driver, a top 10 driver and a top 15 driver to join a new organization.
I doubt RCR even with his own motor shop could do it.

Penske has been around for a long time and his operation can move where it wants.
How can you develop a motor program, chassis program, hire the engineers required and have all that expense shared by 1 or 2 cars? Even three teams sharing would require some heavy manufacturing expenditures and would require some top spending sponsors.
You also need to get a top 5 driver, a top 10 driver and a top 15 driver to join a new organization.
I doubt RCR even with his own motor shop could do it.

If a manufacturer was going to use an existing engine modified to race in the series it wouldn't be expensive at all. It's simple to run even a mid sized 6 with a turbo and make the horsepower needed to be competitive and if Nascar changes to the BOP rule style for the cars it's a whole lot cheaper to go race for manufacturers. a way around the twisted sister could be to program the approved body into the OSS machine and go from there.

Does anyone really know the cost of designing and producing a new Nascar 358 c.i. V-8 engine? I doubt it is as big a hurdle as people often assume in terms of money or time required. I mean, it's not like Nissan (or whoever) would start hiring engineers and spend 5 years getting them up to world class levels. They could place a call to Ilmor or a half-dozen similar firms and be fully competitive in a realistic amount of time. It's not like the technology is a deep dark secret.

Does anyone really know the cost of designing and producing a new Nascar 358 c.i. V-8 engine? I doubt it is as big a hurdle as people often assume in terms of money or time required. I mean, it's not like Nissan (or whoever) would start hiring engineers and spend 5 years getting them up to world class levels. They could place a call to Ilmor or a half-dozen similar firms and be fully competitive in a realistic amount of time. It's not like the technology is a deep dark secret.
yeah but I don't think that is the point. In IMSA for instance manufacturers testing their own engines design and test pieces that potentially end up in a production car.

Well, even with all the money Toyota threw at it, it still took them a couple of years to be truly on pace with the other cars. The REAL question, how many other manufacturers would even WANT to develop an engine like that, one that has basically ZERO crossover to ANYTHING the manufacturer builds? What is the point of ANY manufacturer building a race only power plant?

What is the point of ANY manufacturer building a race only power plant?
It seems self-evident to me... to race at the top levels of motorsport. On Planet Earth, there are three major league destination series for drivers - F1, Nascar, MotoGP - and all three use race-only engines and have enthusiastic manufacturer involvement. All the other series are feeder series and/or populated mainly by those who don't make it to the top. And many of those non-destination series also use race-only engines, such as IndyCar and LeMans prototypes.

[I'm excluding a few off-road niches. Arguably, some of them can be considered as destination series, and some of those use production-based power.]

I'm not aware of the process Toyota used to develop their Nascar motor. Perhaps they followed the "in-house model" like Honda did with their F1 return a few years ago. It is possible to spend multiple years re-inventing the wheel, but it's not necessary to do so.

Is this the part where we get an “insider” saying Dodge is coming back with RCR and there will be announcement during speedweeks?

If your comprehension was a bit better you would have understood the discussion was about a manufacturer building a Nascar only engine .
Carry on with your snide remarks.

If your comprehension was a bit better you would have understood the discussion was about a manufacturer building a Nascar only engine .
If your memory was a bit better you'd recall there was a guy who predicted this based on insider knowledge for about three Januarys in a row. :D I'm pretty sure ol' Robert J is who Snappy's referring to. His profile says he hasn't been seen in over six months. I guess he gave up on us non-believers.

I was poking fun of a another poster who was adamant that Dodge was coming back (I think it was this time last year) See I like to have fun on here every now and then and joke around. Kind of breaks up the mundane a little bit. Why so serious?

If your memory was a bit better you'd recall there was a guy who predicted this based on insider knowledge for about three Januarys in a row. :D I'm pretty sure ol' Robert J is who Snappy's referring to. His profile says he hasn't been seen in over six months. I guess he gave up on us non-believers.
You get it Charlie. Glad you got the joke.

I was poking fun of a another poster who was adamant that Dodge was coming back (I think it was this time last year) See I like to have fun on here every now and then and joke around. Kind of breaks up the mundane a little bit. Why so serious?
I was understanding you were making a remark to me because you posted directly after me with no explanation. :D

It's that time of the year when cabin fever raises its ugly head and after 2 weeks of -40 I have it.
Old saying here this time of the year, " Don't Poke the Bear". :dual9mm:

I was understanding you were making a remark to me because you posted directly after me with no explanation. :D

It's that time of the year when cabin fever raises its ugly head and after 2 weeks of -40 I have it.
Old saying here this time of the year, " Don't Poke the Bear". :dual9mm:
All good . The remark wasn’t at you at all, didn’t want to poke the bear.

Truck engines after a few modifications. Toyota could not sell trucks in the American market
until they produced a good V8 Power plant.

The Toyota truck engine has about as much in common with the Toyota NASCAR engine as a Briggs And Stratton does. If I had MY way however, that Toyota truck engine would be EXACTLY what would be in the race cars.

Back
Top Bottom