RIP Kobe Bryant

Helicopter, heavy fog, visual flight...just like Stevie Ray Vaughan
ATC chatter on the radio today revealed that the traffic controller was telling the pilot that they were too low and flying below radar. At that point there was no reply from the pilot.

Last edited:
NTSB said today that the descent rate for the aircraft at the time of impact was 2,000 ft. per minute.
This is going to come down to pilot error in less than optimal weather conditions.

NTSB said today that the descent rate for the aircraft at the time of impact was 2,000 ft. per minute.
This is going to come down to pilot error in less than optimal weather conditions.

Sure is. If law enforcement isn't flying why is anyone? The weird thing is that there was a large amount of air traffic in the area. Part of the reason they went in circles over the LA Zoo is because they were waiting for a VFR clearance. The were in line.

The TNT pre-game show was raw and heartfelt. Hard to watch Shaq so torn up. He stated they texted frequently, but hadn't actually spoken since Kobe's final game in 2016. His regret over that, and feelings about not procrastinating until it is too late, are impossible not to relate to.

Jerry West was eloquent. I've always rooted against the Lakers, but I respect the place the organization occupies in the sports world.

I've been dreading coming on here to post. This hits too close to home, very emotional last couple of days seeing all of the interviews, and welling up with tears. I've had very little desire to watch or discuss sports since the accident. The magnitude of how sudden and unfair a loss of life this was, my heart goes out to the surviving families and all 9 that perished.

Jerry West saying he doesn't think he can get over this one really hurt. :(

Kobe was the superstar of my youth as well, but he had so much he was doing and was still determined to do in retirement that would've been great for so many people. I really think Gigi would've been a gamechanger for women's sports in America. Just tragic and really hard to accept. It's still all surreal.

Jerry West saying he doesn't think he can get over this one really hurt. :(

Kobe was the superstar of my youth as well, but he had so much he was doing and was still determined to do in retirement that would've been great for so many people. I really think Gigi would've been a gamechanger for women's sports in America. Just tragic and really hard to accept. It's still all surreal.
I'm sitting here watching the Inside the NBA tribute (knowing full well that I should be sleeping), and it still doesn't even feel real to me, man. It still hasn't sunk in for me yet.

FWIW, Hayward refuted the story and said it wasn't intentional, and that Bryant would have hated such a gesture because he was about true competition. I'm not really sure which version I believe, as it looks as Tirico describes, and Tirico must have heard it somewhere.

My youtube reccomend has been crazy lately. I've seen Kobe speak English, Italian and Spanish. What a legend

First Lakeshow game since the accident tonight. Gonna be an emotional mess, probably. Hoping for that w though, obviously.

First Lakeshow game since the accident tonight. Gonna be an emotional mess, probably. Hoping for that w though, obviously.

Dame is absolutely on fire lately and the Blazers are playing like a different team. It could be a good one. Hopefully it will just be positive for everyone to be back on the court.

Dame is absolutely on fire lately and the Blazers are playing like a different team. It could be a good one. Hopefully it will just be positive for everyone to be back on the court.

Yeah and no Melo citing personal reasons

I'm gonna have to watch that one. Haven't kept up with the NBA since Duncan retire and the Spurs completely disintegrated.

I'm gonna have to watch that one. Haven't kept up with the NBA since Duncan retire and the Spurs completely disintegrated.

Should be shown nationally on ESPN at 1030 eastern

Nice night at Staples, tributes were well done. Lillard is ridiculous right now and leading his team to wins they have no business getting.

Last edited:

You weren’t kidding. He was surgical.

Emotional, competitive game. Really enjoyed it.

I have never seen a cellist perform at a basketball game.

Quite an evening.

Found this vid of a helicopter flying in fog/clouds. Really scary.

This I have found to be the most informative info than the talking heads about what and why it happened. Much the same as Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bill Graham crash and the day the music died Buddy Holly tradegy. At least the Holly crash brought about some changes, hopefully something good will come out of this.

Steve Marenka 13 hours ago
I am a retired USAF pilot, having flown F4s and F-111Ds, and served as a T-37 instructor for four years. I was mesmerized by the discussion. So incredibly spontaeous, like sitting around hangar flying on a rainy day. Felt like I was a part of it. No BS, just very informal, but damned professional. One of the best damned things I have seen on YouTube.

Will Cushman 15 hours ago
Wonderful interview Juan. Lots of real info by two friends that are professionals. Thank you both for the no BS information. Lets hope that the FAA listens to pilots like you two and amends the IFR training requirements to include periodic refresher IFR flights- under actual IFR weather conditions- witnessed by an FAA examiner.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. I don't think it's something I'd do unless it's about getting money to the other families. I could maybe understand operating from anger and thinking it never should have happened, but it still doesn't bring them back. I don't think the helicopter company was at fault or did anything wrong either. Humans make mistakes and accidents happen in life.

:XXROFL:

giphy.gif

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. I don't think it's something I'd do unless it's about getting money to the other families. I could maybe understand operating from anger and thinking it never should have happened, but it still doesn't bring them back. I don't think the helicopter company was at fault or did anything wrong either. Humans make mistakes and accidents happen in life.

It definitely will not bring them back.
Pros and Cons apply imo.
The pilot lost his life too and a punitive settlement alone serves no good purpose imo.
A settlement possibly could help the other victims with less money.

I do not want to talk badly about any of the dead, RIP.
But it has to be said that the pilot made an awful mistake and he shouldn't have attempted to fly. It was his responsibility to fly safely.

Yesterday's service opened alot of wounds but damn it was beautiful. Vanessa B and the rest of the family are insanely strong. Props to Staples, Lakeshow, and obviously the Bryant family.

Back
Top Bottom