Rockingham re-do

We've heard similar promises multiple times since Andy closed shop. Call me when they have a date for a race over 150 laps.

Third linked tweet: "Racing is returning to The Rock". I assume that means vehicles other than the paving equipment, but I guess there's an audience for that.

I'm curious to see how the next gen would race at Rockingham, how the tire wear would hold up too. Saying that, I'd be surprised if Cup ever came back there. I too think it'd be neat but I dont see the near groundswell on the social media channels that have been for Wilkesboro going on for a while now. I'd still try to attend a Xfinity/Trucks/ARCA Weekend there though, the place is a piece of history its where Earnhardt clinched his 7th Cup. I'd love to walk the pits with a pit pass there.

Rockingham is such a nice track, very unique. I hope the Cup series returns at some point, or at least xFinity.

Hard to believe they haven't raced there since 2004. That's almost two decades. Time flies.

Local rumor that I hear in the community is that we will likely see a truck and/or xfinity race in 2024

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious to see if they are just grinding the top layer or if they are re-paving. Hard to tell from the pictures. A top grind would get them in business but a re-pave would be world$ better with drainage installed and all

Local rumor that I hear in the community is that we will likely see a truck and/or xfinity race in 2024

It would cost close to 4 million to put safer barriers in. I would think he would need a future Nascar contract in hand to lay out that much expense.

Reactions: sdj
I'm curious to see if they are just grinding the top layer or if they are re-paving. Hard to tell from the pictures. A top grind would get them in business but a re-pave would be world$ better with drainage installed and all
It looks like they’re milling all the asphalt off, leaving the gravel base exposed.

It would cost close to 4 million to put safer barriers in. I would think he would need a future Nascar contract in hand to lay out that much expense.
I thought SAFER was put in for the Truck races. Was it removed, is it still in place, or am I completely mistaken (again)?

I'd $25 of so for an 8-ounce car of those asphalt shavings.

They had safer barriers for the truck races in the early 2010s, rather or not they sold them when nascar left again or not I’m not sure. I don’t know what price tag the paving project came with but I do know that Rockingham got the same money Wilkesboro did from the covid relief whatever it’s called fund.

They had safer barriers for the truck races in the early 2010s, rather or not they sold them when nascar left again or not I’m not sure. I don’t know what price tag the paving project came with but I do know that Rockingham got the same money Wilkesboro did from the covid relief whatever it’s called fund.

Pretty good tell will be if they put up safer barriers that they are looking for Nascar races. Cool

FB_IMG_1669006346610.jpg
Screenshot_20221120-235431_Facebook.jpg

Here's some photos from their Facebook the first is earlier this year and I can make out safer barriers I think. Second is from about a year ago and they definitely have them. You have to take them down to pave I believe.

Here are some pictures from the truck series there...looks like the straights did not have them but corners did.

NASCAR-returns-to-Rockingham-Speedway-in-2012-with-the-Truck-Series.jpg
NASCAR_Camping_World_Truck_Series_at_Rockingham_Speedway_2012.jpg

Interested to see what will happen with Rockingham. It’s a great track but the market seems a bit saturated.

Maybe they can work with Atlanta/SMI or Darlington/NASCAR on something for Cup soon?

Interested to see what will happen with Rockingham. It’s a great track but the market seems a bit saturated.

Maybe they can work with Atlanta/SMI or Darlington/NASCAR on something for Cup soon?

I hear that cup isn’t as much of a goal as a solid truck/xfinity date that sticks around for a few years and then try to bring cup back in. Again, this is the local rumor mill and could be 100% wrong however it is from credible sources.

Entering turn 3. The scoreboard is in the middle of 3 and 4. Saw them try to enter three wide in a Busch race once. Didn’t work. Guy on the bottom couldn’t keep it there.

Here are some pictures from the truck series there...looks like the straights did not have them but corners did.

View attachment 66410View attachment 66411

Ironically it looks pretty full to me for a Truck race in 2012 & 2013. I think the facility would be great as a standalone X & Truck venue. No whining about travel costs either as a standalone venue.

6c5b9e6cfb5f6fc5e2d3c2556e83e4a2.jpg

60b57f77ab28b46ec3c558f138ca64ca.jpg

Checked out the Rockingham Christmas light show tonight. A few parts of the route has you driving on the apron. Love seeing the high banks and getting that perspective. We had the neighbors kids with us and they were shocked at how steep it is. Repave looks awesome. Hope to see some stock cars racing the oval in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom