Ryan Newman Appreciation Thread

The irony in this is that Newman basically took Matt out of the playoffs by chopping him at Bristol.

My interpretation of driver thoughts during end of Bristol race
Newman.
No way in heFF is Diben going to win this race and knock me out of the payoffs.
Dibenedetto.
Is Newman gonna let me pass without wrecking me so I can win

Basically Diben put his race win in the hands of Newman
If Newman had nothing to gain or lose
I think he would have moved out of the way
In this case Newman had something to lose and raced accordingly

Newman.
Dibenedetto.

Newman.
Dibenedetto.

Boom exactly! First of all why wouldn't Newman race for his playoff position? Second of all Denny Hamlon was winning that race no matter what.

Newman.
Dibenedetto.

This would make sense if Newman raced him cleanly and held him off.

Except Newman was told car high over and over and chopped Matt and put a hole in the LF fender. Matt went into the next corner and said it immediately pushed up towards the wall. Race over.

If that fits your cup o tea, cool.

I think Ryan Newman is the driver the year. Who else has done more with less??
Maybe RFR is listening instead of talking.

Ryan Newman has a brilliant marketing team. He has been okay in crappy equipment, and the spin is that he has been a game changer for Roush. No trophies, but the appearance is complete success. What could he do in better equipment? No much more IMO.

Ryan Newman has a brilliant marketing team. He has been okay in crappy equipment, and the spin is that he has been a game changer for Roush. No trophies, but the appearance is complete success. What could he do in better equipment? No much more IMO.

He has been a game changer when you look at what Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle, Trevor Bayne, Ricky Stenhouse have done.

We get it though trophies is the only measure of success.

He has been a game changer when you look at what Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle, Trevor Bayne, Ricky Stenhouse have done.

We get it though trophies is the only measure of success.

I agree, but the bar was very low....

I have mixed feelings about Ryan Newman. I can't say I'm a fan of his. While I understand and respect racing hard for every position all race long, he has had a tendency to pull some dick moves on fellow drivers, or just moves that I see as unnecessary at times.

Once again, credit to the OP for making another one of these threads. I said something kind of positive about Ryan Newman for once. Consider getting me to do so a little accomplishment for yourself, haha.

If he was a skinny entitled little prick who was handed his ride, his driving style would be perceived differently. I hate that. I don't know how he gets away with his ****. He doesn't do anything. I am still stunned that Bowyer--freaking Bowyer--punched into his window, and nothing ever came of it. He loves to do the tough guy **** as a way to justify his dickhead driving, but nothing ever comes of it. He is that old school story that many crave.

Ya all Newman ever did was drive his way into a no name team called Penske while finishing his engineering degree. Was a hell of a driver in those days but unfortunately his team mate was also a jealous part owner on his last legs.
What a screw up. here he is years later still driving **** cars to a decent finish. He gets replaced by a kid who lasted 1 year. In the meantime Ryan will still be there next year doing what he does best.

He’s been my number one guy for over a decade now. I can understand others’ disdain with his driving style, but I’ve always enjoyed watching him race. I’ve always perceived his driving style and personality as being left over from days gone by rather than being stupid and arrogant.

He’s been my number one guy for over a decade now. I can understand others’ disdain with his driving style, but I’ve always enjoyed watching him race. I’ve always perceived his driving style and personality as being left over from days gone by rather than being stupid and arrogant.

Well said.

If he was a skinny entitled little prick who was handed his ride, his driving style would be perceived differently. I hate that. I don't know how he gets away with his sh!t. He doesn't do anything. I am still stunned that Bowyer--freaking Bowyer--punched into his window, and nothing ever came of it. He loves to do the tough guy sh!t as a way to justify his dickhead driving, but nothing ever comes of it. He is that old school story that many crave.

You know what's the fake tough guy ****? Punching somebody in their car with a helmet on.

I agree, but the bar was very low....

Was it? Matt Kenseth still had 1 victory, 10 top 5's, 18 top 10's in his final year at JGR before going to the 6. Greg Biffle came back after 3 years out of the seat (except a practice session in April) and won at Texas for KBM.

Though to be fair, Newman finally for once this year made a critical mistake in the backstretch chicane and that cost them their shot at the Round of 12. Still I'd say he's had a good/way above expectations type year.

Last edited:
Newman found out what Ricky has known for years -- give your all in trying to make Roush jalopies competitive on track and eventually you're doing too much with too little -- and mistakes happen. Roush can build a better Team for next year based on Newman's skill and the #6 Teams approach to improving race results this year. imho

I have nothing but the highest respect for Newman.

So far this year Newman is a 1 car team and I say this because Stenhouse is on another page.
With Chris coming over they will now become a 2 car team with the same agenda and that is to improve the cars to become top 15 contenders. Both these drivers have the skill level and with cooperation between the cars they can accomplish this. This has to happen BEFORE Roush can become a winning team again.
His partner has to learn that profits have to be used to make improvements. They control the purse strings and IMO are the reason for RFR decline.

Back
Top Bottom