SBJ predicts NASCAR return to ESPN

Most people under the age of 50 aren't watching on rabbit ears.
All people under 50 are watching on rabbit ears if they can't get a decent signal. That's my beef as we travel. People don't realize how much of the country does not get a good enough signal for streaming.

All people under 50 are watching on rabbit ears if they can't get a decent signal. That's my beef as we travel. People don't realize how much of the country does not get a good enough signal for streaming.

Cable and satellite TV still exist.

And by 2026, there will be more coverage. Plus Elon Musk's satellite service.

It's only a matter of time before NASCAR is 100% subscription based. 10 years ago I was laughed at for saying most races wouldn't be over-the-air by 2025 and some events would be Pay-per-view. Looking more likely by the year
I don't think that will happen by 2025. I feel like Nascar will be one of the last sports to stay on TV just because of the audience demographics and how they like to consume stuff.

There are some hangups regarding ESPN that are behind the times. The pointedly progressive management that ruffled feathers in the 2010s is long gone, replaced by traditional corporate leadership.

NBCSN was the last and by far the weakest major foray into the sports network field. It was a drag on NASCAR Cup exposure. USA will offer a larger potential audience, but it's an odd fit.

The promotional power across ESPN and Disney platforms can be a help. F1 is a far more niche motorsports product in the U.S., and has benefited enormously from its move to ESPN from NBCSN cable.
I get what you're trying to say, but F1 benefitted from Netflix and DTS. Doesn't matter what network it was on. What ESPN did get right was broadcasting commercial free. Netflix popularity plus no commercials equals major growth.

I get what you're trying to say, but F1 benefitted from Netflix and DTS. Doesn't matter what network it was on. What ESPN did get right was broadcasting commercial free. Netflix popularity plus no commercials equals major growth.

It's all of the above. No doubt DTS has been huge.

ESPN can afford to show F1 without ads. It's paying peanuts for the rights and has no production costs.
NASCAR should consider doing its own broadcast productions. It’s the future.

Linear TV will stick around. Combined with streaming. There’s going to be some consolidation in the future.

If nascar had a paid app, say $15 a month I’d buy it. I pay 65/month for fuboTV and the only thing I watch on it is nascar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom