See any good movies lately?

I just saw Elysium. I didn't like much about it. I really don't like science fiction, though, so I wasn't that surprised. My wife got it for me at Redbox because she saw that Matt Damon was in it and she knew I liked him and it was freezing cold when she was trying to select a movie outside at the Redbox.

I just saw Elysium. I didn't like much about it. I really don't like science fiction, though, so I wasn't that surprised. My wife got it for me at Redbox because she saw that Matt Damon was in it and she knew I liked him and it was freezing cold when she was trying to select a movie outside at the Redbox.

A shame that director didn't focus of making District 9 part 2 instead. Now there is a movie that needs much love.

Almost everyone I know said they didn't like Elysium. A waste of time imo.

A shame that director didn't focus of making District 9 part 2 instead. Now there is a movie that needs much love.

Almost everyone I know said they didn't like Elysium. A waste of time imo.
I thought it was OK, but not nearly as good as District 9. I think Elesium focused too much on the whole political scene of the haves/have nots.

I finally saw the Carrie remake last night with Chloe Maretz. Not terrible. Infinitely better than the 2002 version, but nowhere near the original. Chloe Maretz and Julianne Moore were OK, but certainly were no Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie. And I compare the prom scenes in the two of them like I compared the tournament scenes in the original and remake of Karate Kid. As in, eww, they kinda screwed that up.

I vaguely remember seeing Pitch Black. I may or not have seen Chronicals of Riddick. Well, I did just watch Riddick, and must say it kinda sucked.

I watched The Roommate, from 2011, the other night with my daughter. I'd never seen a movie with a lower review rating in my life. According to DirecTV, only 4% of the people who responded thought the movie didn't suck. Let me tell you this, a movie that stars Minka Kelly is incapable of sucking. Leighton Meester plays the psychotic roommate who develops a really twisted obsession with Minka Kelly's character. She isn't as hot as Minka is, but then who is? It's pretty predictable, but the acting wasn't too bad and there was a pretty good amount of eye candy in some pretty sexy situations. Minka was like 31 years old when the movie came out and she plays a college freshman in the movie, so that part was kind of weird too.

THE-ROOMMATE-004.jpg

I watched The Roommate, from 2011, the other night with my daughter. I'd never seen a movie with a lower review rating in my life. According to DirecTV, only 4% of the people who responded thought the movie didn't suck. Let me tell you this, a movie that stars Minka Kelly is incapable of sucking. Leighton Meester plays the psychotic roommate who develops a really twisted obsession with Minka Kelly's character. She isn't as hot as Minka is, but then who is? It's pretty predictable, but the acting wasn't too bad and there was a pretty good amount of eye candy in some pretty sexy situations. Minka was like 31 years old when the movie came out and she plays a college freshman in the movie, so that part was kind of weird too.

THE-ROOMMATE-004.jpg

Minka Kelly is stunning. I'd never really seen her before Almost Human but WOW. For those who haven't seen the show, she plays a character that was genetically modified to be perfect looking. Let's just say they cast the right person.

Minka Kelly is stunning. I'd never really seen her before Almost Human but WOW. For those who haven't seen the show, she plays a character that was genetically modified to be perfect looking. Let's just say they cast the right person.
She also stands to me as Derek Jeter's greatest achievement. They reportedly dated for quite a while. Over 3,000 hits in MLB is certainly impressive, but landing her is more impressive to me.

THE-ROOMMATE-004.jpg
OK, that's where you and I differ. No amount of eye candy can make a bad movie any good, or even watchable. Take Jennifer Aniston for example. Hot as she is, I have attempted to watch movies where I literally had to give up halfway in because it was so bad.

OK, that's where you and I differ. No amount of eye candy can make a bad movie any good, or even watchable. Take Jennifer Aniston for example. Hot as she is, I have attempted to watch movies where I literally had to give up halfway in because it was so bad.

Jennifer doesn't help herself by doing the exact same movie over and over. It's always heartbroken girl finds love with best friend kinda deal.

Jennifer doesn't help herself by doing the exact same movie over and over. It's always heartbroken girl finds love with best friend kinda deal.
The thing I've observed with Jennifer Aniston is that she's OK if she's in a supporting role, but pretty much every movie where she's been the star has been awful.

Ok, I would have to agree with you on a bad comedy. A comedy that just doesn't make me laugh is unwatchable. There may be a few other extreme cases, but Minka Kelly is almost in a class of her own as far as hot goes.

Dallas Buyers Club was pretty good.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire came out on redbox today, I'll try to make time to watch it.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire came out on redbox today, I'll try to make time to watch it.
I need to get around to watching the original first so I can watch the next one with the family. They all saw the first one without me. I'm certainly not opposed to watching Jennifer Lawrence for a couple of hours, I was just unable to sit in theatre seats that long on that day and haven't gotten around to renting it since.

I need to get around to watching the original first so I can watch the next one with the family. They all saw the first one without me. I'm certainly not opposed to watching Jennifer Lawrence for a couple of hours, I was just unable to sit in theatre seats that long on that day and haven't gotten around to renting it since.
If you get a chance watch it, It's a good movie.

I thought the first one was better than the second.

12 Years a Slave 8/10 - based on the memoirs of Solomon Northrop published in 1953.
A free black man from NY who is kidnapped and sold into slavery in the 1840s.
Powerful stuff here.

Good Ol' Freda 8/10 - The story of Freda Kelly who in 1962 at 17 years old became Brian Epstein's secretary, and for eleven years ran the Beatles fan club from the very beginning of the Beatles career to the end when the band broke up.
A unique perspective of the Beatles career from a very sweet girl.

I finally watched The Runaways last night. It was pretty good. I was a fan of theirs back in the day and I've always had a thing for Joan Jett, so I figured I would like it. I wasn't disappointed. I knew some of Joan Jett's story before, so it was cool to see it was shown accurately. It was reported that she had a lot of input on what made it in the film, so I kind of thought it would. I liked that they included the story about her one and only guitar lesson where the teacher told her that "girls don't play electric guitar" and insisted on teaching her to play On Top Of Old Smoky on an acoustic guitar. Kristen Stewart will never be mistaken for a great actress, but I thought she did a really good job portraying her. I found it a little odd that at the end of the film when it showed what Cherie Currie, Joan and Kim went on to do, it didn't mention Lita Ford who went on to have a pretty successful career in her own right playing heavy metal.

Watched Captain Phillips last night. It was well made and a good movie but being a retired Captain I kept being distracted by the "Artistic License" taken by the director. Someone should have told him that left is port and right is starboard among several other things.

Is this a trick question? A oxymoron? Is there such a thing as a good movie today? My wife is a fanatic about movies but she hasn't seen one in a theater in months.

Back
Top Bottom