Should NASCAR run Sunday night races in the summer?

Should NASCAR run Sunday night races in the summer?

• Yes

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As long as it’s not the night of an AEW PPV, I don’t care which night it’s on. Saturday, Sunday, Whateverday.

I missed the window to vote in this poll but I would say no. Nobody wants sports on a Sunday night on a non-holiday weekend. Sunday night NFL football is BS and so is the Super Bowl start time.

Now get off my lawn!

Well you got your wish today

I enjoyed Sunday Night NASCAR last night, I however think those in attendance last night that had long times to drive home may be dragging a bit at work or summer classes today.

Yes.

Sunday Night NASCAR on USA should be a thing for at least 4-5 races on the schedule, mainly during football season. I think it’s a mistake competing with Sunday Afternoon Football.

Yes.

Sunday Night NASCAR on USA should be a thing for at least 4-5 races on the schedule, mainly during football season. I think it’s a mistake competing with Sunday Afternoon Football.
Competing with Sunday Night Football is even less competitive. That's often a marquee game.

Yes.

NASCAR needs to have its season finished by mid October because of football.

My opinion was, and still is, they need to have some Sunday night races to see if that will produce better ratings and make it more comfortable for fans sitting out in 90+ sunshine.

NASCAR needs to have its season finished by mid October because of football.

My opinion was, and still is, they need to have some Sunday night races to see if that will produce better ratings and make it more comfortable for fans sitting out in 90+ sunshine.

Not much they can really do other than get rid of the off week if they want to finish quicker

And another thing, DVR'ing the race allows me to repeat and incident on track in slow motion and pause to help me determine who was at fault.

(I was going to ad this to my other post but the STUPID 5 MINUTE RULE wouldn't let me.)

I wish they were all at 9 AM Sunday morning. If people didn't want to watch in then, well there are DVRs and replays. I know it can't happen, but if I had MY way..... It's one of the only reasons I ever wanted to live on the west coast back in the day. Get up early, watch the race, and have the whole rest of the day to do something else.

I suppose it's a matter of what NASCAR is more interested in - TV audiences vs. filling seats at the tracks.

Sunday night races are difficult for fans who have to travel long distances and then have to be at work Monday morning. At a lot of tracks you endure hours of slow traffic while trying to get back on the road after the race is over, before you even get to start your long drive home. Better hope that there are no rain delays that push the race finish even later. Some fans might be willing and able to use vacation days so they don't have to work until Tuesday, but I suspect that NASCAR will have to continue to ask the TV cameras not to show empty and covered seats.

Sunday nights might do well with TV audiences, as long as the races don't keep viewers up too late past their bedtimes (thinking about the ones who have to show up for work Monday morning again). TV advertisement revenue should certainly be more lucrative on Sunday nights. But past experience indicates that when Sunday Night Football starts up NASCAR won't be able to compete. That hurts this business model at the most critical part of NASCAR's season - during the "Chase" and final championship races.

In a similar vein, people were concerned when NASCAR started to schedule Saturday night races that competed against local track races. Result? After a while NASCAR pretty much abandoned its local track support as it emphasized TV deals - leaving a lot more empty seats at both local and big time racing venues.

Personally I think that people really miss out when they only watch races on TV instead of attending races live. There's a lot of atmosphere that TV cannot capture. I also think that fans are not as engaged to support race team and track sponsors when they only see those advertisers shown intermittently on TV, diluted by all of the TV-only advertisements. So I think that NASCAR is going the wrong direction... I could be wrong (again) but dwindling crowds and smaller car counts at the track seem to support my theories...

One thing that NOBODY but Brett Griffin seems to want to talk about is how track attendance influences sponsors. You bring a CEO to a race to sell him on a 15 million dollar sponsorship deal and the stands are 1/3 full and the CEO asks "What the hell am I doing here?" The fact that he may or may not get his return off just the TV audience may or may not connect with him. Either way, whether poor attendance hurts directly or not, it's a BAD look for the sport.

One thing that NOBODY but Brett Griffin seems to want to talk about is how track attendance influences sponsors. You bring a CEO to a race to sell him on a 15 million dollar sponsorship deal and the stands are 1/3 full and the CEO asks "What the hell am I doing here?" The fact that he may or may not get his return off just the TV audience may or may not connect with him. Either way, whether poor attendance hurts directly or not, it's a BAD look for the sport.

Gateway & Michigan were pretty packed this year. I’m sure TV shows empty spots but generally they were.

Not just no but hell no. My rooster crows at 0430 on Monday mornings and I ain’t got time to watch DVR and catch up during the week. I’ll just watch the highlights on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose it's a matter of what NASCAR is more interested in - TV audiences vs. filling seats at the tracks.

Sunday night races are difficult for fans who have to travel long distances and then have to be at work Monday morning. At a lot of tracks you endure hours of slow traffic while trying to get back on the road after the race is over, before you even get to start your long drive home. Better hope that there are no rain delays that push the race finish even later. Some fans might be willing and able to use vacation days so they don't have to work until Tuesday, but I suspect that NASCAR will have to continue to ask the TV cameras not to show empty and covered seats.

Sunday nights might do well with TV audiences, as long as the races don't keep viewers up too late past their bedtimes (thinking about the ones who have to show up for work Monday morning again). TV advertisement revenue should certainly be more lucrative on Sunday nights. But past experience indicates that when Sunday Night Football starts up NASCAR won't be able to compete. That hurts this business model at the most critical part of NASCAR's season - during the "Chase" and final championship races.

In a similar vein, people were concerned when NASCAR started to schedule Saturday night races that competed against local track races. Result? After a while NASCAR pretty much abandoned its local track support as it emphasized TV deals - leaving a lot more empty seats at both local and big time racing venues.

Personally I think that people really miss out when they only watch races on TV instead of attending races live. There's a lot of atmosphere that TV cannot capture. I also think that fans are not as engaged to support race team and track sponsors when they only see those advertisers shown intermittently on TV, diluted by all of the TV-only advertisements. So I think that NASCAR is going the wrong direction... I could be wrong (again) but dwindling crowds and smaller car counts at the track seem to support my theories...

Bingo. Hockey is probably the only sport that comes close to being so much better in person than on TV. Any racing is a complete assault on all of your senses in person, and at places like Martinsville, Bristol, Darlington it’s entirely action packed

Nothing happening on: Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday
Must be nice for those people who don't have to get up for work or school on Wednesday or Thursday. Those same folks probably don't have to worry about vacation days if they wanted to attend.

Must be nice for those people who don't have to get up for work or school on Wednesday or Thursday. Those same folks probably don't have to worry about vacation days if they wanted to attend.
It's good to be retired.
How about races start at 7 and end at 9. No need for every race to be a marathon.

Nothing happening on: Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday
In the past, auto racing (particularly local track races) have problems on Friday nights when high school is back in session. A lot of the same people who tend to be auto racing fans also have kids involved in high school football (athletes, cheerleading, band etc.), so once football starts they're no longer available on Friday nights.

Tuesday and Wednesday night races still risk missing fans who have to get up early for work the next day. NASCAR's 400 to 600 mile races are never completed within two hours - even if you don't count the additional time fans need for traveling. With so many Boomers retiring maybe they don't care about getting up early the next day, but I hear a lot of complaints from retirees trying to deal with tight budgets...

What about 400 miles or three hours, 500 miles or 4 hours which ever comes first? Doesn't Indy Car do this or use to? I know F1 does. Just a thought, I do not particularly like this approach, but, if it keep fans more involved, why not.

Personally, I would like Sunday night races in the summer --- but then, I do NOT have to get up for work on Monday.
I can see both sides. No matter what night, be it Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, NASCAR would step on somebody's toes.

I miss a sprinkling of some Saturday Night racing and I hope in the future that becomes the "in" thing to do again. I dont see the harm in 5-7 night races a year, it seemed like in the mid 2000's there was a night race every month. Shame TV took that away. I am intrigued about Sunday Night Prime Time NASCAR as I think that would be neat, but you'd have to get that in before NFL and Sunday Night Football/Football Night In America start their season.

I miss a sprinkling of some Saturday Night racing and I hope in the future that becomes the "in" thing to do again. I dont see the harm in 5-7 night races a year, it seemed like in the mid 2000's there was a night race every month. Shame TV took that away. I am intrigued about Sunday Night Prime Time NASCAR as I think that would be neat, but you'd have to get that in before NFL and Sunday Night Football/Football Night In America start their season.

See, I think Sunday Night NASCAR usually works pretty well for some of the USA races in the fall. Darlington (NBC), Kansas (USA), Texas (USA), Las Vegas (NBC so it would have to be USA).

……. much less NFL AND college football competition for NBC Sports to deal with.

A Sunday night race wouldn't necessarily have to start at 7 pm. You could start earlier and just run under the lights later in the race.

Looks like we might be getting more of Sunday Night NASCAR

No way to gauge how much of a bump Nashville got from it being at night since the previous two years were also sell outs. Atlanta is a hard draw no matter when they race. But I'll be comparing Sunday night's race to the race last year that was run in the late afternoon when it was 90+ degrees. Besides, there are no primetime sporting events on TV right now other than Sunday night baseball.

Looks like we might be getting more of Sunday Night NASCAR

Sunday Night NASCAR on USA for some of the playoff races could help the ratings some, less competition for their NASCAR content to compete with 1 NFL game vs 6-10 at a time.

Sunday Night NASCAR on USA for some of the playoff races could help the ratings some, less competition for their NASCAR content to compete with 1 NFL game vs 6-10 at a time.
That one game is a marquee matchup, usually chosen because it looks like the best game of the weekend.

That one game is a marquee matchup, usually chosen because it looks like the best game of the weekend.

That’s fine & dandy, but there’s overall less eyeballs than 1 PM & 4:25 PM football games especially.

My sources are inaccurate and old, but I can’t imagine too much has changed in the NFL since 2013 unlike NASCAR.

Back
Top Bottom