Silly Season 2023

Why would Kelly, who notoriously runs JRM very lean, enter Cup with no charter and run to earn such an insignificant amount of the purse?
What if you got a sponsor that could cover the deficit? Also, who says they wont get one?

Why would Kelly, who notoriously runs JRM very lean, enter Cup with no charter and run to earn such an insignificant amount of the purse?
Eventually the price of a charter might push the ROI out too far that it may make more business sense to run as an open car

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Eventually the price of a charter might push the ROI out too far that it may make more business sense to run as an open car

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
That will never happen due to the very nature of what a charter is, which is a saleable asset. You're not paying a fee upfront with the idea of recooperating that cost with the increased purse money and breaking even or making a profit over time. You buy a charter like a property that can be sold later. As long as you have the capital and the opportunity to snag an elusive charter in the first place, then you're golden. It's all gravy because at any given point you can leave the sport and sell it to the next person in line.

That will never happen due to the very nature of what a charter is, which is a saleable asset. You're not paying a fee upfront with the idea of recooperating that cost with the increased purse money and breaking even or making a profit over time. You buy a charter like a property that can be sold later. As long as you have the capital and the opportunity to snag an elusive charter in the first place, then you're golden. It's all gravy because at any given point you can leave the sport and sell it to the next person in line.
Who says they cant acquire a charter?

Who says they cant acquire a charter?
You literally said, "You dont have to have one" if you have the backing.

I took that to mean, if you have big sponsor money behind the team, then they can forgo a charter and the purse increase that comes with it.

I think Spotter is waaay out on the limb with that one, but it is the silly season thread and anything goes.

What if you got a sponsor that could cover the deficit? Also, who says they wont get one?
I love how your attempt at a coherent argument is to literally run coverage for every side.

You're proverbially running down a field while tossing a ball up in the air to pass it to yourself, and then scoring on yourself, while saying you didn't lose because you're the one that scored the points.

You literally said, "You dont have to have one" if you have the backing.

I took that to mean, if you have big sponsor money behind the team, then they can forgo a charter and the purse increase that comes with it.
I also said they could get one Post #850

Silly Season is aptly named. I think we all get a little silly with the rampant speculations.
Sooner, or later, it will all be settled. Until then, it's fun to wonder who's going where.
No no, you cant talk about it

Personally, I really don't give a rat's behind who leaves what team and goes to some other team.
I don't care how much money they make, or want. Whoever hires a driver has that problem.
I don't care who is driving what make of car. If a driver leaves one make for another, no big deal.
When it comes right down to the nitty-gritty, the only real difference in makes is the decals as far as I'm concerned.

Kyle to RCR would make sense, maybe RC would be interested in getting back into truck racing.

Kyle has the infastructure for it and to build with any OEM. I think a lot will decide the amount of support he is given for it, I doubt he lets it go.
Psst 90% of KBM's sponsors are subcontractors for Toyota. He leaves the fold and they are gone down the road.

Psst 90% of KBM's sponsors are subcontractors for Toyota. He leaves the fold and they are gone down the road.
Not wrong, but that doesn't mean GM can't put in the money necessary.

Might not have the B2B brands, but that cannot stop RC doing something similar with his own sponsors. Look at ALSCO, I could see Whalen plugging races, using GM Accessories, etc.

It can be covered.

Not wrong, but that doesn't mean GM can't put in the money necessary.

Might not have the B2B brands, but that cannot stop RC doing something similar with his own sponsors. Look at ALSCO, I could see Whalen plugging races, using GM Accessories, etc.

It can be covered.
Highly doubtful at the level it is. That's a factory team with factory backing that is propping up that bunch.

Highly doubtful at the level it is. That's a factory team with factory backing that is propping up that bunch.
They run Illmor engines, so that's a wash. They get funding through a mix of Toyota/their B2B deals for Toyota to get their development drivers in the seats, and just the drivers flatout writing checks. The drivers can still write checks for a Ford or a Chevy body, and in terms of the "factory" effort, Ford or Chevy can also provide sim time. I think you're really over-selling the factory part of it when really that's just a pay driver farm system as far as KBM is concerned, but pay drivers are not hard to find.

They run Illmor engines, so that's a wash. They get funding through a mix of Toyota/their B2B deals for Toyota to get their development drivers in the seats, and just the drivers flatout writing checks. The drivers can still write checks for a Ford or a Chevy body, and in terms of the "factory" effort, Ford or Chevy can also provide sim time. I think you're really over-selling the factory part of it when really that's just a pay driver farm system as far as KBM is concerned, but pay drivers are not hard to find.
Well we can't forget Hattori either. They are also backed by Toyota Industrial (Tusho/Aisin) brands, but both drivers are sponsored drivers in Purdy and Ankrum.

TRD's main players in trucks are KBM and Thorsport tbf. KBM is used for driver development purposes because remember the likes of Gilliland, Harrison Burton, and Christian Eckes were wanted by TRD to be moved to that team. It's all a confusing mess at times, too. Remember, Kyle wanted to bring JHN into the TRD fold because of his youth and expereince level. Something that he wanted after dealing with the previously mentioned drivers.

Pretty much every driver has sponsor(s) or the OEM is backing them directly in the truck series. Maybe a bit of both, like Chandler Smith has family money, but TRD spends money on his development as a driver.

Back
Top Bottom