Silly Season 2023

I wonder who's idea it was for Kyle to "leave"?
"Leave" who? The narrative sometimes references Kyle himself, sometimes JGR, and sometimes Toyota.... I think Kyle wanted to stay, but probably stuck his foot in it when he realized he wasn't going to make Denny numbers. At that point, JGR probably made a business decision....break the bank for a guy with four wins in four seasons, or go younger and cheaper? WE wanted him....created a reasonable opportunity, but as I have pointed out time and again.....Make less than Denny at stay at JGR, or make less than Denny and work for him. No and no. Jump in bed with a guy who punched you in the face. The Kyle got screwed narrative is just such complete bull****.....

Even if the story doesn't have anything to do with HIS Toyota teams he can change that too
Preacher and his bunch screwed over KDB. KDB on the other hand stuck it out there and they chopped it off. Now THEY have a crappy truck team they are going to have to pour tons of bucks and personnel into Gilliland's outfit for it to be anything, and they got rid of the most winning driver in the series at present in ALL of the series.. The yota bunch have always been dumb greedy, blowing drivers out who have turned out to be good performers for "potential" drivers down the road. It's expensive, chaotic and it seldom pays off. Watching Jr learn everything the hard way this year is going to be entertaining. If he races like he has coming up, it's a different world in cup. They aren't trying to make to to cup and anything goes..they are there and who are you.

Preacher and his bunch screwed over KDB. KDB on the other hand stuck it out there and they chopped it off. Now THEY have a crappy truck team they are going to have to pour tons of bucks and personnel into Gilliland's outfit for it to be anything, and they got rid of the most winning driver in the series at present in ALL of the series.. The yota bunch have always been dumb greedy, blowing drivers out who have turned out to be good performers for "potential" drivers down the road. It's expensive, chaotic and it seldom pays off. Watching Jr learn everything the hard way this year is going to be entertaining. If he races like he has coming up, it's a different world in cup. They aren't trying to make to to cup and anything goes..they are there and who are you.
You waxing poetic about Kyle ****** Busch. Please don't ever stop. I can't get enough. Your narrative about OUR Driver Development Program is a complete joke...not worthy of rebuttal. Ty will be just fine. He took that blabbermouth Gragson to the woodshed....you know Noah Gragson, Toyota Driver Development Grad. Just like your boy once did when you hated him, Ty couldn't give a **** about what you think. I admire that in him. Get back to me on the hat.

The marriage of Chase Briscoe and Stewart’s team is a natural given the shared Indiana roots. Briscoe has talent and SHR probably sees him as their lead driver with Happy’s pending retirement.

I guess this would belong here. With charters I think its even harder for them now

I don’t know when the trigger should be pulled on a 24 thread, I saw this and didn’t know where to post it. Interesting to see who Toyota might try to sign as a new team

For those teams mentioned the yotas wouldn't have to go very high to up the deals they have. They aren't going to get much either.

Interesting comment by Wilson

“My budget doesn’t extrapolate with added cars, so it’s a matter of allocating the same resource across more cars and not taking away from your current effort,” Wilson said. “But again, that’s more doable now because we’re much more constrained with our wind tunnel time as an example. That’s a resource that we pay, a number of dollars per hour, and NASCAR continues to trim that back. It wouldn’t surprise me in a couple of years if there is no wind tunnel other than for body submissions purposes. They’re being very intentional and thoughtful about trying to keep coming back into areas where the team feel they have to spend or OEMs feel they have to spend.”

I guess this would belong here. With charters I think its even harder for them now

Fascinating prospect.....Lots of contracts up this year, so I think that enters into it. With the marginalization of the car, drivers become even more important. I would think that Justin Marks has received a call, but both drivers are up....that has to enter into things. The interesting thing that David noted is his budget is not dependent upon number of teams....meaning he has a specific budget, and the Next Gen concept allows for more cars without increasing said budget. The game has changed.

For those teams mentioned the yotas wouldn't have to go very high to up the deals they have. They aren't going to get much either.
What the hell does this even mean?

Interesting comment by Wilson

“My budget doesn’t extrapolate with added cars, so it’s a matter of allocating the same resource across more cars and not taking away from your current effort,” Wilson said. “But again, that’s more doable now because we’re much more constrained with our wind tunnel time as an example. That’s a resource that we pay, a number of dollars per hour, and NASCAR continues to trim that back. It wouldn’t surprise me in a couple of years if there is no wind tunnel other than for body submissions purposes. They’re being very intentional and thoughtful about trying to keep coming back into areas where the team feel they have to spend or OEMs feel they have to spend.”
and the Kyle Busch discount

Fascinating prospect.....Lots of contracts up this year, so I think that enters into it. With the marginalization of the car, drivers become even more important. I would think that Justin Marks has received a call, but both drivers are up....that has to enter into things. The interesting thing that David noted is his budget is not dependent upon number of teams....meaning he has a specific budget, and the Next Gen concept allows for more cars without increasing said budget. The game has changed.
I wouldn't expect Trackhouse to jump as they seem pretty tied to Chevy. Didn't they operate the technical center out of Trackhouse for considerable amount of time last year? I remember teams saying that the GM underbody scanner was housed at the shop last season. But I guess with this car a manufacturer change is about as easy as it can get for a team.

I wouldn't expect Trackhouse to jump as they seem pretty tied to Chevy. Didn't they operate the technical center out of Trackhouse for considerable amount of time last year? I remember teams saying that the GM underbody scanner was housed at the shop last season. But I guess with this car a manufacturer change is about as easy as it can get for a team.
Except when you start pricing OEM/mothership support.

JTG and FRM would be good Tier 2/3 teams to get them up to 9-10 cars. Kaulig, Legacy MC, Spire all seem pretty committed to GM.
JTG makes a lot of sense.

Not sure about FRM, they are pretty committed to Ford. FRM continues to trend upward as well, but you never know. Bob Jenkins and Freeze are not afraid to write a check to help improve the organization.

Not to mention, the likes of Gilliland and at the moment Zane Smith being young Ford performance drivers of the future. I doubt Ford lets them go for nothing.

Sounds to me like the more toyotas the less competitive they will be. I thought they want quality over quantity which is why they give all their $ to one team (gibbs)

JTG makes a lot of sense.

Not sure about FRM, they are pretty committed to Ford. FRM continues to trend upward as well, but you never know. Bob Jenkins and Freeze are not afraid to write a check to help improve the organization.

Not to mention, the likes of Gilliland and at the moment Zane Smith being young Ford performance drivers of the future. I doubt Ford lets them go for nothing.
They’re definitely improving, the thing I wonder is can they crack the hierarchy at Ford? They’re probably behind all of Penske, SHR, and RFK as far as corporate support from Ford. Toyota might be able to concentrate more towards FRM if they were to switch and help them take the next step towards perennial playoff contenders.

Good point about Zane since I think he’s contracted to FRM through 2026 or something crazy.

They’re definitely improving, the thing I wonder is can they crack the hierarchy at Ford? They’re probably behind all of Penske, SHR, and RFK as far as corporate support from Ford. Toyota might be able to concentrate more towards FRM if they were to switch and help them take the next step towards perennial playoff contenders.

Good point about Zane since I think he’s contracted to FRM through 2026 or something crazy.
I'm not sure most contracts are even worth the paper they're on these days. So many loopholes for both sides

Back
Top Bottom