SiriusXM's NASCAR Radio - Today's, not so hidden, agenda.....

There's a difference between raising questions about perceived issues and actively being against something. I'm definitely pro-NASCAR if we define NASCAR as an organizing body for a defined format of auto racing, but I still disagree with some of the sanctioning body's decisions.

I'm not a Sirius subscriber, and nothing in the discussion has given me a reason to sign up. I don't listen to the existing free talking head shows on the tube, so I'm not likely to pay money to hear more of the party line.

I am not interested in listening to any talking head with an agenda that panders to its audience.

I like the channel and it's the main reason that I subscribe to the service. It was the reason that I purchased a XM Radio way back in the early days of the NASCAR Channel. Back then the only hosts were Claire B and Tim Farley. There were only two live shows on during the day along with replays of races. It has evolved to be so much more than that. It may not be for everyone but I enjoy the hell out of it just like posting on this forum.

The only reason I subscribe to Sirius/XM is the NASCAR channel. If it wasn't for Gille, Claire B., Kenny, Pat Patterson, and the fact that this channel is my only radio access to the races where I live, I would be so unsubscribed. It is unfortunate....so much to discuss but the hosts of The Morning Drive and Speedway in particular are too busy with their stupid 8th Grade humor crap, and insulting people who disagree with them to address the good stuff. The production staff of this station is a joke. Does NASCAR control them? Probably. Doesn't Brian France pretty much only call into Moody? Pretty much all you need to know right there. I am holding out hope that the station will some day get back to the racing instead of Moody talking about his wife in a bikini. A guy can hope.

The similarities between listening to NASCAR Radio and posting here are endless, and that's not necessarily a good thing....but it should be.

Is there anything else available ?
I don't think there is and it is a shame.
Are you guys looking for an anti NASCAR Channel? One that disagrees with every move made by Brian France? If so, this place is as good as any.

There is plenty of other podcasts that are NASCAR related. I posted a thread on them a while back. It may have been lost in the aftermath of server issues last spring. IDK

Doesn't Brian France pretty much only call into Moody? Pretty much all you need to know right there.

The similarities between listening to NASCAR Radio and posting here are endless, and that's not necessarily a good thing....but it should be.
I'm not sure Brian has much of a chance to call in on the other shows. Brian probably sleeps in till early afternoon. By the time he downs his first bottle of scotch, it's probably somewhere around the 3 o'clock hour.

I'm not sure Brian has much of a chance to call in on the other shows. Brian probably sleeps in till early afternoon. By the time he downs his first bottle of scotch, it's probably somewhere around the 3 o'clock hour.

Probably smart. After a bottle of scotch, I might think that Moody is worth talking to as well.

Are you guys looking for an anti NASCAR Channel? One that disagrees with every move made by Brian France? If so, this place is as good as any.

There is plenty of other podcasts that are NASCAR related. I posted a thread on them a while back. It may have been lost in the aftermath of server issues last spring. IDK

At this point I don't see the value of listening/watching Nascar programming other than the cup races. I would not enjoy listening to a channel that had an agenda to undermine Nascar nor would I want to listen to something that essentially operated as an agent of Nascar. With the NHL there are a lot of moving parts as there will soon be 31 teams and I only spend a brief amount of time each day checking out news, rumors, box scores stats and standings. Nascar doesn't have things like injuries, trades, stats, standings, divisions, playoff races, strategy, waivers, a draft, expansion to different cities or things of that nature to discuss as they don't exist.

As I have said before I cannot imagine what could be spoken about in the course of a day on a Nascar channel that would interest or enlighten me.

The only reason I subscribe to Sirius/XM is the NASCAR channel. If it wasn't for Gille, Claire B., Kenny, Pat Patterson, and the fact that this channel is my only radio access to the races where I live, I would be so unsubscribed. It is unfortunate....so much to discuss but the hosts of The Morning Drive and Speedway in particular are too busy with their stupid 8th Grade humor crap, and insulting people who disagree with them to address the good stuff. The production staff of this station is a joke. Does NASCAR control them? Probably. Doesn't Brian France pretty much only call into Moody? Pretty much all you need to know right there. I am holding out hope that the station will some day get back to the racing instead of Moody talking about his wife in a bikini. A guy can hope.

You are normally very positive concerning Nascar so when you give a failing grade to satellite Nascar programming it speaks volumes. I know I would not care to hear guests being insulted, people laughing at each other's jokes or what a guy's wife looks like in a bikini.

As I have said before I cannot imagine what could be spoken about in the course of a day on a Nascar channel that would interest or enlighten me.
Too each his own. I enjoy listening to the interviews with those related to and in the sport of NASCAR. I like hearing the opinions of other fans, like this place. I like being able to hear the news as it happens. Then again, my thoughts are based on actually listening to the channel rather than forming an uninformed opinion.

Actually , like I said , this place has all the anti Nascar stuff I need . I 'm only trying to make Skoal happy by telling him what he wants to hear . He likes that . ;)

Too each his own. I enjoy listening to the interviews with those related to and in the sport of NASCAR. I like hearing the opinions of other fans, like this place. I like being able to hear the news as it happens. Then again, my thoughts are based on actually listening to the channel rather than forming an uninformed opinion.

I am all for people doing what they enjoy as much as possible and if people are happy listening to the Nascar channel or the 60's channel it is all good from where I sit. I can understand why you and others like to know things as they happen but for me unless it is a matter of safety I don't care as I will hear about it sometime. I think another thing with me is I much prefer to read something as opposed to listening to it.

I don't think my opinion of the Nascar channel is uninformed unless you, Rev and Ted were fibbing in your description of what it is like. I could could pay a fee and receive the broadcast and know with 100% certainty if I liked it or not but it isn't something important to me.

There's a difference between raising questions about perceived issues and actively being against something. I'm definitely pro-NASCAR if we define NASCAR as an organizing body for a defined format of auto racing, but I still disagree with some of the sanctioning body's decisions.

Yeah. I knew that the vast majority of political programming is tribal. I didn't know that we had lost any sense of the concept of objectivity and honest opinions elsewhere, and that everything must be reduced down to pro- and anti- shilling.

Anti - NASCAR would be trying to ban NASCAR on environmental grounds, or lambasting everyone who watches NASCAR as a racist bigot. I'm sure this exists somewhere in some form. Watching a lot of NASCAR and disagreeing with decisions made by the people in charge is not anti - NASCAR.

I still enjoy the shows on Sirius XM when I occasionally listen to them, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy hosts with some editorial freedom more.

Last edited:
You are normally very positive concerning Nascar so when you give a failing grade to satellite Nascar programming it speaks volumes.

Thank you. A guy like Brad Gille proves that there is much to talk about even in the offseason, and it's a shame that the producers are under the impression that there isn't.

Pushed or just talked about right after AMA Supercross debuted it?

Pushed or just talked about right after AMA Supercross debuted it?
I don't know that AMA Supercross has anything to do with it or not. It's a subject that has been addressed many times in the past few weeks. IMO 'pushed'. Especially by Mike Bagley.

I watched it on Saturday. I don't think it will affect a race like caution clocks, debris etc does as long as the races are 3 hours. But from a race title sponsor it seems odd.

I don't know that AMA Supercross has anything to do with it or not. It's a subject that has been addressed many times in the past few weeks. IMO 'pushed'. Especially by Mike Bagley.

Brad Gille goes the whole weekend with lively discussion involving callers. Topics such as: alliances, crew chief/driver percentage of importance, etc. because he has talent, and can facilitate such conversations. These guys go into a rant amongst themselves because they are completely unaware of how little they know.....and then there is the Moody segment. The timed race thing stems from Pistone's conviction that the attention span of the fan is short. Complete BS IMO, but a common belief.

The 'timed races' idea are being pushed again this morning on the channel.
Yeah, they were talking it up pretty hard this morning, saying how it would be good for the networks and what not. Wouldn't surprise me if NASCAR announces in the next couple weeks that this is happening for 2017.

Yeah, they were talking it up pretty hard this morning, saying how it would be good for the networks and what not. Wouldn't surprise me if NASCAR announces in the next couple weeks that this is happening for 2017.
I don't think it could happen for 2017. I already purchased my tickets for two, 500 lap races @ Martinsville. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it announced soon for 2018 though.

This TV deal with NBC will be the death of NASCAR. Remember who was behind the knockout chase? A bunch of NYC out of touch elites who are seeing their whole business model collapse and they'd rather pull down an entire sport than fix themselves.

Has anyone heard how long timed races are set to be? 2.5, 3, 3.5 hours?

FWIW, the debut of timed races in Supercross, which is already how most motocross competitions work, resulted in main events with the same number of laps. In some cases it will mean longer races than last year. In NASCAR'S case, NBC is probably not desiring the races to be longer. However, they may not want them to be much shorter either, just more predictable and easier to schedule.

I don't think it could happen for 2017. I already purchased my tickets for two, 500 lap races @ Martinsville. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it announced soon for 2018 though.

As Dean Wormer said "There is a little-known codicil in the Faber College constitution which gives the dean unlimited power to preserve order in time of campus emergency" and I am sure there is some little known codicil in the ticket purchase agreement that allows the races to be modified anyway Brian, the title sponsor or the network sees fit.

FWIW, the debut of timed races in Supercross, which is already how most motocross competitions work, resulted in main events with the same number of laps. In some cases it will mean longer races than last year. In NASCAR'S case, NBC is probably not desiring the races to be longer. However, they may not want them to be much shorter either, just more predictable and easier to schedule.

How might some races become longer?

Apologies if that was confusing, it was still in reference to Supercross. They went from 15- and 20- lap mains to 15- and 20- minute mains plus one lap. Some of the events last year were shorter than those times, and will be longer this season.

I could see FOX or NBC wanting the races to fit within a window but I didn't think it would be a big issue for their sports channels. I am unfamiliar with the type of programming FS1 and NBCS feature but I figured a 4-4.5 hour race would not bother them a bit.

Apologies if that was confusing, it was still in reference to Supercross. They went from 15- and 20- lap mains to 15- and 20- minute mains plus one lap. Some of the events last year were shorter than those times, and will be longer this season.
I assumed a timed race was one in which the time ran out before the scheduled number of laps had been run.

No one knows how many minutes a timed race would be or even if Nascar will enact the policy but if it is adopted maybe Nascar will go with a 3.5 or 4 hour window which may lengthen some events.

I assumed a timed race was one in which the time ran out before the scheduled number of laps had been run.

In this case no, it's just time-definite instead of distance. When the clock runs out, the white flag is shown to the leader the next time he crosses the finish line.

Who knows how NASCAR would choose to do it.

In this case no, it's just time-definite instead of distance. When the clock runs out, the white flag is shown to the leader the next time he crosses the finish line.

Who knows how NASCAR would choose to do it.

Nascar would likely call a caution with 5 minutes to go and get them lined up for a double wreck restart finale.

If we're lucky, we'll never know. If not, I'd guess the way I described it (that's what the FIA does).

Just remember that every race is a good race even if they are timed, have bogus cautions, wave arounds and free passes.

If we're lucky, we'll never know. If not, I'd guess the way I described it (that's what the FIA does).

Brian and company: "F I What? Is that a soccer league?"

They think they are the NFL of racing. For them the clock expiring would be the 5-lap Warning mandatory caution, followed by another round of pit stop zaniness and a thrilling restart finish.

Why haven't they issued timeouts to the teams yet, since the rationale for everything is that's how football does it? Maybe a challenge flag for debris cautions.

Back
Top Bottom