So, Put the Daytona Roval on the Schedule?

Charlie Spencer

Road courses and short tracks.
Should NASCAR include the Daytona road course as a regular event on the schedule?

If so, should it be run in addition to the two oval races, or instead of the summer oval race? If in addition, what race would you suggest be dropped to make room for it?

Me? Run it every summer instead of the oval race. (Hell, run it in the spring too!)

Last edited:
Should NASCAR include the Daytona road course as a regular event on the schedule?

If so, should it be run in addition to the two oval races, or instead of the summer oval race? If in addition, what race would you suggest be dropped to make room for it?

Me? Run it every summer instead of the oval race. (Hell, run it in the spring too!)
If you were thinking about running for president of NASCAR you just lost my vote.:)

Yeah, but I refuse to be bound by a 36 race schedule. However as much as the field gets spread out, which I attribute to the high range of speeds the cars go through that it will make for a very boring clash.

I would go for this... if nascar adds more races onto the schedule starting next year. Hopefully having some mid week races(even though the ratings sucked), I’d definitely like to see this road race added. I’d like to see it as a Mid week night race next season

Another idea outside of doing it as a mid week race...

I wonder how likely they could do a double header... Daytona Pepsi 400 oval one day, set track up for road race following day???

Last edited:
Got to have the first race "The traditional Daytona 500" on the oval. After that I don't care too much what they do with the rest of it. I like the Super Speedways, keep them. If I had a choice and could only add one road course, it would be Elkhart Lake joining the Xfinity race that is already there. Both it and the Daytona road course makes sense from an economic stand point.

I really stopped caring about the 2nd Oval race after they took it off from its traditional July 4th weekend date, now that that tradition is dead .....go ahead and dive into the Daytona roval portion of the pool. I'm game. But I hope Rovals dont become the new 1.5 mile fad, we can stop with Charlotte and Daytona after this. I do hope at some point Road America, COTA and Mid Ohio are given a shot on the schedule I want to see actual road courses on it instead of more Rovals. But the history and tradition of the Daytona course speaks for itself, so I'm good with it if its added.

I really stopped caring about the 2nd Oval race after they took it off from its traditional July 4th weekend date, now that that tradition is dead .....go ahead and dive into the Daytona roval portion of the pool. I'm game. But I hope Rovals dont become the new 1.5 mile fad, we can stop with Charlotte and Daytona after this.
I'd do the one at Texas it be better then the oval

Not a big fan of stock cars on the Daytona Roval, but yesterday was 1000 times better to watch than another damn plate race.
It would never be my first choice for the RC to add to the schedule either. I think we're all aware of the contractual and business restraints that will factor into to any such decision in the future. But it's definitely my preference for races run at this facility.

I'd do the one at Texas it be better then the oval
I've never seen it or played it on a game ( scientific I Know), I might scour YouTube for it then. IF thats the case, I do love the Homestead roval looks really fun.

How about kicking the season off with a double header ironman race and they could call it the Daytonathon 735. Start the day with the traditional 500 mile race and then finish in the night with a 235 mile road course race and add the points together for an overall winner...or you could run the road course in the daytime and the 500 at night. A driver could come away with 3 trophies and a shi-t pot full of money and the title as the Ironman of stockcar racing. I will be ready. :lurk: :dpepsi:

I've never seen it or played it on a game ( scientific I Know), I might scour YouTube for it then. IF thats the case, I do love the Homestead roval looks really fun.
American LeMans ran in in like 2000 2001 that's what I found there's also a guy driving Cup cars on a simulator.

These are the tracks that have rovals they would need some work on a few.

American LeMans ran in in like 2000 2001 that's what I found there's also a guy driving Cup cars on a simulator.

thanks Im gonna read this on my lunch, thanks again!

That Pocono course looks like some serious serious business. I wonder does it have elevation changes?

I love the road courses when they are competitive but the 9 has become the ace with everyone else fighting for 3rd after Truex. No fun.

That Pocono course looks like some serious serious business. I wonder does it have elevation changes?

It does not. The only track with considerable elevation change in the New Hampshire track. It goes up the hill (steeply) on the backstretch. Unfortunately it's not a track for real race cars. I know Legends and motorcycles race on it. It'd be a cool track if it was wider/safer (note in the video you can literally fall off the track right after going up the hill).

Yeah I loved yesterday. It’s the site of the #2 sports car race in the world, I’m very okay with it being a regular event. Have to move these races up though, late afternoon starts in the summer is asking for delays. That’s going to kill your TV ratings

It would never be my first choice for the RC to add to the schedule either. I think we're all aware of the contractual and business restraints that will factor into to any such decision in the future. But it's definitely my preference for races run at this facility.

The only business restraint is that moving the race elsewhere just means that the France family make have a little bit less money in their pocket. Considering the TV money split, and if the new track had to pay a sanctioning fee, they might actually come out ahead on the deal.

My vote on the Fan Council was "no" for the Daytona road course.
Maybe after a few more races I would change my mind. Seemed to me the race yesterday was a bit sterile.

It's surely fun for his fans! haha.

I say add it, I would love more road course races, but let us also get some actual road courses.
Yeah it works for me. I don't pay any attention to Elliott downplaying his skills on a road course. He is dam smooth. It was interesting watching Hamlin flip flopping behind him trying to keep up, and Elliott was smoothly going thru there without a tire spin or a big slide. Gerbils should have said that is how Hamlin learns by following Elliott :laugh:

Replace the wreckfest on the big track with it and I'm all in.
Personally, I think we already have plenty of road courses races but I'd take about anything to replace that pack racing crash fest mess on the big track. Nobody is asking me so I won't be losing sleep over it.

no, not with high df on rc, rather see 5 wide rolling start 10 lap elimination heats on the oval.

I'd love the idea but restrictor plate races are the life blood of the sport. Regardless of your preference, Dega and Daytona pull massive ratings and sell lots of tickets. I like the road course as a diehard race fan, but your casual fans are all about the plate races

No need to make fans choose, do the double header on the weekend of the firecracker 400...

Road course one day, oval the other.

I like the double-header idea.

Keep pocono a double

Keep Dover a double

Make Charlotte 1 and the Roval a double (if practically possible?)

Add cup cars to the Rolex 24 weekend as a non-points shootout to open the season with the same race length we had this weekend.
(Could you imagine adding cup cars as a class to the 24h itself, even if only 5-10 cars entered?)

That shortens the calendar season but increases the race count. Might also get more cup guys in an IMSA ride.

I like the looks of Pocono, New Hampshire and Homestead from that group.
I love the road courses when they are competitive but the 9 has become the ace with everyone else fighting for 3rd after Truex. No fun.
It's fine with me. There's been way too much Harvick and Hamlin this year for my liking. I like the year KDB is having though. I think it may have humbled him a bit or is that even possible? :laugh:

Open the season on the oval (Daytona 500 Saturday night) and run the roval Monday night (leave Sunday open in case the 500 gets postponed). Run the Indy roval and oval on Independence day weekend for all 3 series. Charlotte roval and all-star race (oval) on the same weekend. Then just add Road America and 1 other road course and I would fall in love with the schedule.

I like the looks of Pocono, New Hampshire and Homestead from that group.

It's fine with me. There's been way too much Harvick and Hamlin this year for my liking. I like the year KDB is having though. I think it may have humbled him a bit or is that even possible? :laugh:
I get the Hamlin/Harvick issue but the 9 winning and if not him the 19 every time takes a lot of the excitement out for me.

I get the Hamlin/Harvick issue but the 9 winning and if not him the 19 every time takes a lot of the excitement out for me.
Well, since they're two of my favorite drivers, it doesn't present that problem for me. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom