Sonoma Bonehead of the Race

Also, I thought we had pretty much agreed to get rid of the Bonehead threads to make this a more positive forum. Who's bright idea was it to revive it.

Also, I thought we had pretty much agreed to get rid of the Bonehead threads to make this a more positive forum. Who's bright idea was it to revive it.
I remember staying away from those threads cause they got pretty ugly.
As long as it's more or less joking around then OK.

I remember staying away from those threads cause they got pretty ugly.
As long as it's more or less joking around then OK.

It got out of hand because we were just picking boneheads just to pick them. A driver getting loose and spinning or running out of fuel because they're trying to win the race doesn't qualify them as a "bonehead" IMO.

John Darby for throwing the caution flag when a driver was a quarter mile down the enclosed pit lane chute and 10 feet (1/2 a second) from the second commitment line and put him back to 37th and if he had driven on through without stopping would have resulted in the same restart position, pure stupidity on Darby's part.

John Darby for throwing the caution flag when a driver was a quarter mile down the enclosed pit lane chute and 10 feet (1/2 a second) from the second commitment line and put him back to 37th and if he had driven on through without stopping would have resulted in the same restart position, pure stupidity on Darby's part.

He was committed to pit road before the light changed. Also the light was positioned where the wall starts. To expect a guy to lose all the spots and not pit is asinine.

Long live the BOTW thread:D

I like the Bonehead thread, I'm the one who started it way back when. The rest of us can't help it if others have to be mean about it or Andy has to keep posting the same response.

My pick is Kurt Busch. Two speeding penalties with one to serve the first penalty. Who does he think he is, me? (I got two speeding tickets on the interstate yesterday).

Even though he's a red-ass I've been hoping JPM could reverse his gradual descent because IMO if he can ever match his driving talent with good thinking he'd be a force.

Today was just more proof of the continuing disconnect, but for some reason I'm still rooting for him.

David Reutimann, for stopping on pit road, and in my eyes, causing the collision before the race.
Unless, he stalled, of course. Then, he's off the hook.
I get that sometimes these drivers have to stop to re-check their belts at times, but he should have pulled over to do that. He's very lucky he wasn't rear ended, 'cause he almost was.

And I'm glad this didn't happen 20 feet back. The official on pit road was oblvious to what was happening behind him, and the 3rd car behind Ruetimann had to swerve to his left to avoid hitting the #52, just behind the official.

Put this on the #52 car if you want but I'm calling out the # 83 on this one.

Even though he's a red-ass I've been hoping JPM could reverse his gradual descent because IMO if he can ever match his driving talent with good thinking he'd be a force.

Today was just more proof of the continuing disconnect, but for some reason I'm still rooting for him.
But that helped my yahoo points. I checked the group picks, and he got the voodoo doll harpoons (it was absolutely necessary). When his gas ran out, got to say I was happy.
Sometimes being sleazy is better than good principles :)

When his gas ran out, got to say I was happy.

When you run out of gas on the last lap and another car that last gassed up when you did has enough to finish.......there is room for a higher level of technique.

When you run out of gas on the last lap and another car that last gassed up when you did has enough to finish.......there is room for a higher level of technique.

I agree but that isn't the whole story. You have to consider engine tuning and did they get all the fuel in during the pit stop.

Truex said they had the conservative fuel package in it. JPM was probably all out.

My vote goes to Kurt. He had it won.

I agree but that isn't the whole story. You have to consider engine tuning and did they get all the fuel in during the pit stop.
Yeah me too. I listened to them interview Juan after the race, he didn't want to throw anyone under the bus, but his pit didn't say a word about saving fuel. He said something like he wouldn't use as much fuel when he was in traffic, but he knew he was using more running thru the pack. A crew chief on his game should have let him know something.

My bonehead of the week was Ed Carpenter's rear left tire changer for taking so long and blowing his lead after he stayed out on old tires to get track position.

Oh wait, that was my IndyCar bonehead of the week. :confused: :confused: :confused:

NASCAR Bonehead of the Week is me for watching the little funny-looking cars this weekend instead of Sprint Cup.

hhhmmmm......nobody mentioned tony.

close 2nd place bonehead move--twice ! -----behind kurt's pit speedin---twice !

montoya fuel conservation ----one a' them oxymorons ! ha!

I don't know that I can pick just one. There were several who did some rather questionable driving.
Paulie Harraka on pit road
Kurt's twice as nice speeding penalty
Kyle's driving over his head at times
Tony being a bull in a china closet

So, I'll pass this week. :)

Kurt Busch wins the race if he doesn't have the penalties. Fact so he gets my bonehead award.

BNfLQg2CQAAvlnS.png

Truex had such a fast car that he could get out front and save fuel. Montoya had nothing to lose. Points don't matter. He has to win a race or two to have a shot at making the Chase. If he had saved fuel, he probably would've been passed by Gordon and Busch. Imagine what would happen then if Truex had run out. I can't fault Montoya. He's in a position where he has to win it all now.

I have a feeling, when Larson's ready for Cup, he'll be replacing McMurray instead of Montoya.

Can I say a tie?

If so, its Harakka for ramming Kennedy and Kurt Busch for speeding while doing a speed penalty.

Honarable mentions go to Kyle Busch for overdriving the car and Reuti for randomly stopping on pit road.

Honorable mention goes to Kyle Busch for his divebombs. He made numerous mistakes and drove over his head trying to come back from them.

First Andy, you are participating in the Bonehead Award with your first post. Next, you want to know who revived it and it looks like you were number two major contributor. Congrats! ;)

But not to be picky, Paulie Harakka for not paying attention.
Bonehead Award for speeding on pit road while serving a penalty for speeding on pit road - maybe he figured it was two-fer-one day - over shadowed by a great exhibition of driving skill overcoming both penalties, getting a lap back the hard way, working his way through the field, from the back, and finishing fourth. In days of yore, the old Kurt Busch would have performed as his brother did in the race by wrecking himself and others because he lost self control.
But we are no longer dealing with the Kurt Busch of days gone by. The Kurt Busch fans still love to hate. Now racing must deal with the new and improved Kurt Busch personality; the Kurt Busch who took full responsibility for his mistakes, did not criticize, condemn, complain or throw anyone under the bus.
This is the old Kurt Busch quality talent and the the new Kurt Busch personality. I like him!! :cheers:

We need more road races!!! Add Road America!!! :salute:

The Busch Brothers.

kurt for his usual stupidity that keeps him from winning.

kyle for thinking he is a better driver than he is.

Back
Top Bottom