Sports TV ratings, etc. Random sports talk

That decline is not small, and it's odd because the NBA would seem to have a lot going for it. The top end of the league feels wide open for the first time in recent memory. Offense is through the roof and scoring keeps climbing. LeBron's team is kicking ass. Yet national interest has fallen in the past two years nonetheless.

So much for that ultra-lucrative LA TV market the NFL was desperate to get back into.

Oops, left out the tweet. This is what I was commenting on.

Chargers shouldn’t be anywhere near LA. I’m not sure even the Rams will make inroads against teams like the Lakers and Dodgers. Honestly, if USC ever gets a better HC the NFL won’t even be the best football product in LA.

Chargers shouldn’t be anywhere near LA. I’m not sure even the Rams will make inroads against teams like the Lakers and Dodgers. Honestly, if USC ever gets a better HC the NFL won’t even be the best football product in LA.

Allowing the Chargers on was their biggest mistake, and to think Spanos was trying to be the main cog before Kroenke swooped in lol. Chargers should still be in San Diego. Rams and Raiders are what would've made the most sense, Raiders have the most traction in LA, makes no sense for them to be in Vegas. NFL has messed up. This will be a tourist attraction at best.

Allowing the Chargers on was their biggest mistake, and to think Spanos was trying to be the main cog before Kroenke swooped in lol. Chargers should still be in San Diego. Rams and Raiders are what would've made the most sense, Raiders have the most traction in LA, makes no sense for them to be in Vegas. NFL has messed up. This will be a tourist attraction at best.

They got their taxpayer-funded stadiums, that's all that matters.

Good breakdown here. While the MLB's national draw isn't what it once was, especially in comparison to the NBA's, it is still a behemoth at the regional level.

The property that is currently the biggest bargain in sports media is set to receive at least a six-fold rights increase. Very curious to see if CBS saves up to make a better play for something else outside of CFB or they decide to pursue something from the PAC-12, Big 12, or Big Ten which also all expire in the mid-2020's.

The property that is currently the biggest bargain in sports media is set to receive at least a six-fold rights increase. Very curious to see if CBS saves up to make a better play for something else outside of CFB or they decide to pursue something from the PAC-12, Big 12, or Big Ten which also all expire in the mid-2020's.

Some conferences currently with ESPN will almost certainly exit if the SEC and ACC are both exclusively on ESPN. Probably going to see very good teams and good games relegated to ESPN+ for the foreseeable future.

The other question is, where is Fox going to be at in the mid-2000s? I could honestly see NBC having the entire NASCAR schedule in the not too distant future, and there are some other properties on Fox that would fit in well at CBS, such as NHRA, Formula E, and most notably, the Big 10.

I’m with you there, wouldn’t be shocked if the Big 10, Pac 12 and Big 12 all no longer have games on ESPN.

I totally get the NBA though, players have totally ruined the league. Idc about any of the political stuff, but the way we’re getting these guys teaming up together sucks. It’s not even about drafting or free agency anymore, just have to hope a couple stars want to team up together for your team. Totally sucks

FWIW the Mountain West just signed a deal with Fox Sports and CBSSN so they'll be leaving ESPN besides the possibility of Boise State.

I'd like to see B1G on CBS, they already have a basketball deal with them.

I’m with you there, wouldn’t be shocked if the Big 10, Pac 12 and Big 12 all no longer have games on ESPN.
Not enough inventory is moving around for that to happen, it's only in the range of 15-17 games going to ESPN/ABC. FOX/FS1 is basically maxed out on what they can show in the fall with baseball and the Truck Series too.

FOX gets great ratings for Big Noon Saturday which is mostly Big Ten games so I imagine they'll fork out a lot to keep that package. The Big 12 isn't priority for FOX nor ESPN/ABC so I can see them being a good fit for CBS. The 3:30 Eastern window still works and they can still get solid ratings showing Oklahoma and Texas games probably without having to pay as much as they would have to keep the SEC. If FOX isn't interested in keeping them (they already offloaded the Big 12 championship games they were supposed to air over the rest of the contract to ESPN last year) I could see the Big 12 doing OTA exclusivity with CBS and cable games on ESPN like what the SEC has been doing for all these years.

Romo would be dumb to take this and should stay with the partner and network that nurtured him. He shouldn't join the perennial clown show that is Monday Night Football.

Until there’s assurance with the new TV package after 2021 and 2022, with Disney maybe picking up a Sunday package, better games, and putting games on ABC, I would hope he doesn’t jump ship.

I'm actually surprised KC wasn't even higher. When the Royals were in the World Series in 2014 and 2015, they dwarfed every other market. Who the hell had a TV on in Kansas City last night and it wasn't tuned to the game?

Overall viewership up 1.4% over last year, a good sign for the NFL with the Patriots not in the game. Assuming a much better game led to greater audience retention as well.

HUGE sacrifice by the NCAA letting other people pay their most prized possessions :sarcasm:

At least at face value this is probably the fairest way of doing it. If the schools had to do it it would be a complete cluster with Title IX and the fact that the only real money-makers are football and men’s basketball, and in select cases baseball and women’s basketball. If they manage to do this right then the star women’s golfer out of Stanford or track/XC runner out of Oregon can make more in college than they’d otherwise have the ability to.

At least at face value this is probably the fairest way of doing it. If the schools had to do it it would be a complete cluster with Title IX and the fact that the only real money-makers are football and men’s basketball, and in select cases baseball and women’s basketball. If they manage to do this right then the star women’s golfer out of Stanford or track/XC runner out of Oregon can make more in college than they’d otherwise have the ability to.

Yes big win for the higher profile collegiate athletes

Scripted programming/documentaries growing audience figures in time-shifted data isn’t a new phenomenon, although not always in the range of +120-170%.

Back
Top Bottom