Sports TV ratings, etc. Random sports talk

Discussion in 'Sports and Entertainment Center' started by ToyYoda, Nov 7, 2017.

1. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

2. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

3. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

4. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Rightsizing again. I think a certain something not getting the headline week in and week out may have helped their cause. But, that's for another section of the forum as I don't want to drail a good thread.

Johali likes this.
  5. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Record-setting scoring and number of close games plus big-market teams doing well are more of a factor IMO. The NFL is having a youth movement of sorts of its own right now.

IanMcVittie and gnomesayin like this.
  6. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

I agree 100% with @FLRacingFan for the reasons the NFL did well this year. Watching Mahomes and Goff plus Barkley, Breeze, Ertz and the kid under center in Baltimore was great fun. The Nick Foles mystique is alive and well again and it was great to see the Chargers do well.

I get as excited about the NHL and NFL as @Revman does about Nascar and that means being fired up!

I think ups and downs are to be expected in sports as long as they balance each other out and are viewed in context.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  7. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Team Owner

8. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

ToyYoda likes this.
  9. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

I enjoyed the game as watching one of the best QB’s and the goat of coaches win again was something to be appreciated, IMO. I really liked the Pats commitment to the running game too. Sean Payton got out coached by the master and Jared Goff wasn’t ready for the big stage, IMO.

FLRacingFan and ToyYoda like this.
  10. Johali

:confused:

11. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

Oops! I meant McVay!

12. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Team Owner

I shoulda gone fishing too. :D

I watched the whole thing, but the game was kind of a dud for me. Prior to Sunday, Super Bowl XXXV between the Ravens and Giants was the worst Super Bowl I’d seen. I think Sunday topped it.

FLRacingFan and Johali like this.
  13. Johali

Someone asked If I DVR'd it. The answer was HELL NO. :D

ToyYoda likes this.
  14. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Only three more games on true national TV available the rest of the year (one next week on TNT, one semifinal on TNT, championship on CBS), but this has to be considered a good start for the AAF. It'll be interesting to see how this holds up at the end of the year after playing mostly on NFL Network and CBS Sports Network the rest of the way.

dpkimmel2001, IanMcVittie and ToyYoda like this.
  15. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

More football in February is not something I find myself wanting. I'm just not that kind of football fan. I kinda like that it goes away for nearly half the year.

I don't begrudge people who do want more though, and it seems clear there is meaningful demand for a credible spring league.

IanMcVittie likes this.
  16. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

NBA ratings at the All-Star break...

TNT (-18%)
    NBA TV (-17%)
    ABC -(3%)
    ESPN flat
    RSNs (-10%)

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2019/02/18/Media/NBA-ratings.aspx

gnomesayin and LewTheShoe like this.
  17. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

Not just the NBA. Today I read that MLB live attendance last year was at its lowest level since 2003.

However, I've heard the trend of entertainment programming is even weaker. There is still great value in live sports programming, IMO.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  18. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

19. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Sports is at least usually a mixed bag depending on storylines and who happens to be good at certain times. For instance, while NBA viewership is down from 2017-2018 at the moment it's at least still up from 2016-2017. And many RSNs tend to have the highest-rated programming in the market. Scripted/entertainment programming would love to be in the position of a lot of these sports/sports networks.

LewTheShoe and gnomesayin like this.
  20. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

21. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Getting ready to watch multiple tournament's to see who advances. Gotta get these TV's warmed up for March Madness starting next week.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

FLRacingFan and Johali like this.
  22. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Audience Rises For College Hoops Regular Season, With ESPN Up 15%
    https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2019/03/15/Media/CBB-viewership.aspx

[​IMG]

dpkimmel2001 likes this.
  23. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

FLRacingFan likes this.
  24. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

25. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

26. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

I don't sub to The Athletic, but it is a pretty well-known albeit taboo topic in baseball that MiLB players are horribly underpaid. It's good to see that at least one team has stepped up and will increase pay around 50% on average, but much of this falls on MLB itself. The lobbying efforts done by MLB to slip some legislation through to maintain the impoverished state of minor leaguers are very poor optics as well.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...inor-league-salaries-by-more-than-50-percent/

27. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

The F1 number is strong for that start time. I keep waiting for all this big push Liberty Media is going to make into the American market, and nothing meaningful has happened yet. A number like that for a race starting after 1:00 AM Eastern is encouraging, especially given how poor the racing currently is.

I got a PM from Stern confirming that SX ratings are down 20-25% compared to last year on FS1. My response:

"Thanks for the info, that's unfortunate. It had been a sort of fixture on FS1 Saturday nights for several years..To me it feels like NBC hasn't promoted as much, but I'm not tuned into NBCSN that often. It shouldn't be down this much as a sport with a loyal niche following. The racing has been good, but the guys that were supposed to dominate aren't. Perhaps not having an established star winning lots of races is hurting."

FLRacingFan likes this.
  28. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

I think the key with NBCSN is that they'll always be out of sight, out of mind with most sports fans. NBC obviously has a business plan to cover niche sports in-depth, but their ratings will always be lower than they can be since no one else has any real reason to watch, no one else gets exposed to the network, and no lead-in or lead-out can help catch casual eye balls. I am sure in SX's case that no longer having lead-ins from college basketball or Xfinity races and instead having a lead-in from an event that had more people at the track than watching on TV (Sebring) does no favors whatsoever. But I would agree that I haven't seen much, if any, promotion of SX by NBC either. With FOX seemingly just dropping it outright at the end of last year you have to imagine Feld just took whatever they could get.

I think over time it will also be shown that Disney's offer for IndyCar was better than what NBC offered (very unpopular opinion), in spite of NBC perhaps 'promoting' better. Now that ESPN has established themselves as the F1 rightsholders in America I think we'll see more gains made, although not by a few hundred percent as Australia had.

AuzGrams and gnomesayin like this.
  29. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Sucks to see NHRA viewership is going down, Pro Stock needs a boost.

Also, AAF ratings: Saturday night saw an increase as the AAF game on NFL Network increased to 354,000 viewers with a .21 rating. Sunday night on the NFL Network had a downward trend as the game drew 234,000 viewers with a .06 rating. Both games ranked in the top 150 cable shows for the day.