Spotter Appreciation Thread

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
It's a team sport....shout out time....

Well let's start with Kevin Lepages wife...

I don't think you can appreciate how difficult it is (at least to do it well) until you have tried to do it yourself. Once was enough for me.

When Danica came on scene I used to listen to her radio
all the time, probably for 2 or 3 years . I think her spotters name was Brandon.
He did a good job keeping her calm while everyone was trying to wreck
her 😁 .

When Danica came on scene I used to listen to her radio
all the time, probably for 2 or 3 years . I think her spotters name was Brandon.
He did a good job keeping her calm while everyone was trying to wreck
her 😁 .
I think hes spots for Austin Dillion now - agree tho he kept her calm

I mean I can't say many of these are on you. Plus I don't know when you spotted for Spencer.

Cant take any credit for those! But again in fairness, Looks like Jimmy was a victim of circumstance in "some"

I think I enjoy the DBC podcast so much because we get to hear their vantage point on a lot of stuff. Watching the same car lap after lap week after week while keeping up with 10000 things can’t be an easy job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I enjoy the DBC podcast so much because we get to hear their vantage point on a lot of stuff. Watching the same car lap after lap week after week while keeping up with 10000 things can’t be an easy job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
with NASCAR talking in your ear, that doesnt sound like much but they dont break in when its convenient like the crew chief does.

@Spotter22 any cool stories from the job you are willing to share on here?
My welcome to NASCAR moment, Bristol night race its time for practice so I drive my golf cart over with all the other spotters, we finish up and all of us drive back. Get ready for the race and about an hour before I drive back over to go up to the spotters stand and notice none of the other spotters golf carts are there. Strange. Take the elevator up and get to the roof and sure enough all the spotters are there. Never entered my mind to ask why. So we run the race and its over so I take the elevator back down and get to the cart and the pathways are a sea of people, a sea of people shoulder to shoulder barely moving. I slowly creeped behind them and this path is up and down hill and I sometimes had problems getting stopped and clipped a few peoples heels and feet and believe me they weren't happy. It took me forever to get back to the pits and when I did they all had a big laugh. I've never been more embarrassed in my life.

My welcome to NASCAR moment, Bristol night race its time for practice so I drive my golf cart over with all the other spotters, we finish up and all of us drive back. Get ready for the race and about an hour before I drive back over to go up to the spotters stand and notice none of the other spotters golf carts are there. Strange. Take the elevator up and get to the roof and sure enough all the spotters are there. Never entered my mind to ask why. So we run the race and its over so I take the elevator back down and get to the cart and the pathways are a sea of people, a sea of people shoulder to shoulder barely moving. I slowly creeped behind them and this path is up and down hill and I sometimes had problems getting stopped and clipped a few peoples heels and feet and believe me they weren't happy. It took me forever to get back to the pits and when I did they all had a big laugh. I've never been more embarrassed in my life
Great story and about as inside sports as you can get.

I've always wondered what it was like for the spotter. I figure the crew chief makes the big calls once in awhile and the spotter makes calls constantly. They have the pulse of the race.

How far ahead and how far behind of the car do spotters typically monitor? I assume it is depends on the track.

I've always wondered what it was like for the spotter. I figure the crew chief makes the big calls once in awhile and the spotter makes calls constantly. They have the pulse of the race.

How far ahead and how far behind of the car do spotters typically monitor? I assume it is depends on the track.
Correct depends on the track but as a rule you are looking a quarter to half track in front unless of course you are overtaking or being over taken. The rule is no one speaks but the Spotter during the race until we are under caution or we are in a position to do so and thats usually running alone. Race control helps calling cautions if your attention is elsewhere and you dont see it.

I think that spotting must be a really tough job, especially at the larger tracks and I have a lot of respect for the guys (and gals) who do it.

Chris Lambert is my favorite. The guy is amazing. Loved him with Vickers, and he is just the deal in my book. Could listen to him all day long....

Freddie Kraft is awesome too. His call of Bubba's win was so matter of fact....all of his calls are matter of fact, and he manages Bubba's emotions with absolute authority. Fascinating stuff.

Imagine driving a fast race car without a spotter.

Or mirrors ... or backup cameras.

Hirschman, Lambert, Kraft.....my favs....Listening to Hirschman is like a poetry reading--not that I have been to one--but damn, I love listening to him....Kind of missed him over the last year or so because I couldn't take the bitching from @StandOnIt new fav.

Back
Top Bottom