St. Petersburg.......The race!!

JW1

Team Owner
Well!! I did it again!!
🙄🙄

I told myself how conservative I was going to be this year at the racetrack. I didn't really plan on going to the race this year but I did want to go down to the track and just look around and see some of the stuff but I told myself I was not going to spend any money this year. Mainly because I have a house full of baseball caps, t-shirts and all kinds of flags, helmets and everything else imaginable. And buying anything else was just not on my agenda.

So today I go down to the track- I bought a couple of tickets for the next few days and a ticket to get into the paddock- I go across the bridge- I'm right at the bottom of the bridge on the other side, Bingo!! I run into Chip Ganassi going in the opposite direction. At first I thought- that can't be him and I looked at his tag around his neck and sure enough it had his name and it said team owner. I had to stop him and get his autograph. And by then I was off to the Races!! No pun intended.

Oh my gosh! Look at those ball caps! And aren't those neat t-shirts? I've just got to have one of those too! Ooh, a neat lanyard!! And I just got to have a couple of those posters. So within a 20 minutes I was so loaded down with the junk and I'm starting to kick myself again.

So, I come through the paddock and run into Wickens and Hinchcliffe. Yep! I got their autographs too. I told Wickens how all of us on the racing forum talk about him and wish him well. They were both just going around signing autographs as leisurely as you could imagine.

After a few hours, and having spent over $250, I was loaded down with stuff and I decided to come home and of course I ran into Simon Pagenaud and got his "SP" autograph also. They didn't have the program out yet or anything for me to get autographs on, but I was lucky enough to have several 2018 programs for them to put their names on. I saw Bobby Rahal sitting over at the table but I wasn't allowed in to get his autograph. I didn't see Mario, but maybe some other time.

Let's see if I can get these to come through.

Screenshot_20230303-122530_Gallery.jpg

Well!! I did it again!!
🙄🙄

I told myself how conservative I was going to be this year at the racetrack. I didn't really plan on going to the race this year but I did want to go down to the track and just look around and see some of the stuff but I told myself I was not going to spend any money this year. Mainly because I have a house full of baseball caps, t-shirts and all kinds of flags, helmets and everything else imaginable. And buying anything else was just not on my agenda.

So today I go down to the track- I bought a couple of tickets for the next few days and a ticket to get into the paddock- I go across the bridge- I'm right at the bottom of the bridge on the other side, Bingo!! I run into Chip Ganassi going in the opposite direction. At first I thought- that can't be him and I looked at his tag around his neck and sure enough it had his name and it said team owner. I had to stop him and get his autograph. And by then I was off to the Races!! No pun intended.

Oh my gosh! Look at those ball caps! And aren't those neat t-shirts? I've just got to have one of those too! Ooh, a neat lanyard!! And I just got to have a couple of those posters. So within a 20 minutes I was so loaded down with the junk and I'm starting to kick myself again.

So, I come through the paddock and run into Wickens and Hinchcliffe. Yep! I got their autographs too. I told Wickens how all of us on the racing forum talk about him and wish him well. They were both just going around signing autographs as leisurely as you could imagine.

After a few hours, and having spent over $250, I was loaded down with stuff and I decided to come home and of course I ran into Simon Pagenaud and got his "SP" autograph also. They didn't have the program out yet or anything for me to get autographs on, but I was lucky enough to have several 2018 programs for them to put their names on. I saw Bobby Rahal sitting over at the table but I wasn't allowed in to get his autograph. I didn't see Mario, but maybe some other time.

Let's see if I can get these to come through.
Please pictures of Courtney Force if possible. I am a student of Jean's any of her walking in a pair will be for the study

I do have a picture of Courtney down here at St. Pete a couple of years ago. My seat eas in the front row behind Graham's pit. She was standing in Graham's pit during the race. I hollered down at her and she came over and signed my program for me. I'll see if I can dig it up. It might take a while because it's probably back up north at my home.

I wanted to get a Courtney Force autograph after the race but she was holding her baby and I just didn't want to bother her. Kicking myself ever since but hoping I'll get another chance at the next Portland race.

Are those the tires made out of plants? LOL

I probably have her at home on my movie camera which for some reason I did not bring it down this time. I must have forgot it. Sorry.

Wickens was all over the place today. After I got his autograph and Hinchcliff's autograph, I passed him later on in front of all the concession stands.

The two prize autographs that my son and I got- He got David Letterman's autograph a couple years ago. When everybody was down on the track just before they started their engines my son went down to the Rahal tent and David Letterman was there. And my son went over and got his autograph. You just don't get David Letterman's autograph.

Then a few years ago he was doing the same thing- walking down to the all the driver's tents and he ran into one of the guys from ESPN. He got his autograph (I forget his name now- I believe he also played for the Denver Broncos years ago). After he got his autograph the guy said- that's Ken Griffey Jr over there. So my son walked over toward him and Griffey gave him a dirty look and rolled his eyes like, oh no I'm going to have to give another autograph. But my son told him that he was from Cincinnati and he was a big Reds fan. He stuck out his arms and showed Griffey his Cincinnati Bengals tattoo and his Cincinnati Reds tattoo. After that, Griffey got real friendly with him and was really nice. That was the year that Griffey road in the pace car with Mario Andretti. If you look really close at the picture of my son and Mario Andretti you might be able to see the tattoos on his arms. He is really proud of them.

I also go Penske's autograph- TWICE!! He is pretty hard to get. I caught him coming over the boardwalk and coming onto the track. You don't get his too easily either.

I have just about everybody else's from the past 10 years or so. I ran into Dario out on the street last year and he was really nice. I pulled something out for him to sign.

That is my son and Mario. I have gotten his autographs a lot of times. I have a celebrities cookbook at home that I found from the 1960s that belonged to my mother. It has recipes from people like John Wayne, Grace Kelly, Rock Hudson, Etc. Etc. It also has a recipe in it from Mario Andretti from back in the 60s for Italian meatballs. I brought it down last year and I had him sign the page where his recipe is on. He said he never remembered that. It is really unique.

Well I guess I'll quit for now. You're probably tired of hearing me be a blabber mouth. I will try to get some more pictures in the next day or two if I can. Take care and good luck guys.

Really enjoy your autograph experiences. All my years of getting autographs create lasting memories of the person; some good, some interesting. A.J. Watson asking how I even know who he is, Michael Andretti acting like I'm bothering him..... It's a few seconds being up close and personal to the people in the racing world.

More pictures..... Scott Dixon went past me on his scooter and went into his trailer. I waited outside- for almost an hour and a half to get him to sign my ticket when he came out to go to the track.
Screenshot_20230304-143207_Gallery.jpg

For some reason they don't have any programs down here until the very last day- sometimes after the race is over on the last day. So I don't have anything to get their autographs on. Fortunately, I had these handouts from a few years ago
Screenshot_20230304-143057_Gallery.jpg
at my condo and I took a bunch of them down to get autographs on. On the bottom is Ed Carpenter. Alex Palou on the left. Santino Ferruci is on the top left. And Marcus Ericsson's scribble on the right.

I save the best for last. He was so nice and such a gentleman. I was so nervous when I took the shot as soon as I took it- he gave me a thumbs up. So that is not in the picture. But he's still such a great man.
Screenshot_20230304-114138_Gallery.jpg

Well I will stop boring you for now. I'll probably stay home tomorrow and watch the race on TV. It is such an ordeal to sit through these races at my age anymore. I think last year was my last year at the Indianapolis 500, also. It is just so much work and it is so hard to cope with so many people, and the heat, and the long lines etc, etc.

So let's see what happens. Good luck to all you guys.

Kirkwood is a talent, but man is he erratic.
I was hoping he’d rein it in this season, last year he pushed a crappy car beyond its limits. Never really out a foot wrong during his time on the RTI. Not a great start on the crash damage bill but at least it’s still a P5 start.

Really good opportunity for Andretti to get off on the right foot tomorrow.

I notice the nosepiece doesn't have all the adjustable "fins" (or whatever they call them) anymore that they used to have.

Gotta work today, but I'll watch it tonight. Sounds like everything behind the Red Bulls it was pretty entertaining. It's going to be a busy evening with this and Indycar too.

Back
Top Bottom