Stages? Yes or No?

Stages?

• Yes

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters
I'm not completely against the concept of paying out stage points, but I don't like the stage breaks, even though i know the purpose they serve. I think in too many cases it screws with the natural flow and strategy of a race.

I'm not completely against the concept of paying out stage points, but I don't like the stage breaks, even though i know the purpose they serve. I think in too many cases it screws with the natural flow and strategy of a race.

This. I'd love to try a season without stage cautions and just race for the points. I had my doubts but it has made the racing more fun early in the race for sure.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO points for stages are great, but stopping the race to count them is dumb, we have computers for that.how many laps does this waste? 6 +of bs.:owquitit:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO points for stages are great, but stopping the race to count them is dumb, we have computers for that.how many laps does this waste? 6 +of bs.:owquitit:

A long those lines, I do think that the caution laps between stages should not count towards the laps of the race just like the pre-race warm up laps do not.

I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping stages and removing the breaks from the ovals as well, but there’s almost no way the networks would give that up across the board. The change pretty much had to be made at road courses due to how much of an effect they had on strategy and splitting the field into those who wanted stage points and those who wanted to race for the win.

I wish the poll had an option to vote to keep the stages and points without the cautions on all tracks.

If it is an all or nothing thing to keep the stages and points plus the caution resets my vote would be to completely scrap the stages (and I just voted no based on only have the two choices.

Cautions are needed for safety but I am only in favor of cautions with a true safety issue as the cause.

I don't like the stages because it defeats the point of running a 400 to 500 mile race. The only checker flag should be at the end of the race. If we're trying to go more the sprint (not the car) style of racing, then NASCAR should 1) Get rid of the Charter teams automatically being in the race and 2) Have heat races, Last Chance Qualifiers, the Mains and then the A Main.

A long those lines, I do think that the caution laps between stages should not count towards the laps of the race just like the pre-race warm up laps do not.
Maybe they can still stop them so they don’t lose the time commercials etc but no pit stops allowed or only allow fuel and/or tires instead of both etc

The stages breaks aren't going anywhere. The TV people are going to get theirs one way or another. It's either cover up a third of the green flag racing with commercials and half of the time they come back from commercials and the race is under caution, or drop the majority of cautions in during the stage breaks when there isn't racing.

50/50 right now. I really thought this would be a majority not liking stages.

Has anyone figured out how stage lengths are set? Early on the first two were each roughly 25% of the total distance, with the final stage the remaining 50%. Now sometimes the second is almost twice as long as the first, and only a few laps less than the third.

With the length of Truck and Xfinity races, cut them back to two stages. Right now its often impossible for there to be green flag stops because the stages are often less than a fuel run. Break them at around 35% or 40%.

With the length of Truck and Xfinity races, cut them back to two stages. Right now its often impossible for there to be green flag stops because the stages are often less than a fuel run. Break them at around 35% or 40%.
They only have two stages

I can’t imagine how long that one Coke 600 with like 20 cautions would have been. The winner may have gotten to celebrate as the sun came up.
How ever long it takes I will wait. I don't like them running around for 10 to 20 laps under caution and then staring the race with 2 laps to go. I would be fine with them not counting caution laps with 20 or less laps to go.

I can’t imagine how long that one Coke 600 with like 20 cautions would have been. The winner may have gotten to celebrate as the sun came up.
That's a big part of it. TV has a set time to get the race in the slot of time they have allowed. Some of the bigger, longer dirt races I watch that don't count caution laps go on forever when there are a ton of stoppages for wrecks and track maintenance.

That's a big part of it. TV has a set time to get the race in the slot of time they have allowed. Some of the bigger, longer dirt races I watch that don't count caution laps go on forever when there are a ton of stoppages for wrecks and track maintenance.
I was aggerating when I said no caution laps. For the reasons you just made is why I think 20 laps or less would be a decent number.

I was aggerating when I said no caution laps. For the reasons you just made is why I think 20 laps or less would be a decent number.
Don't get me wrong. It burns my ass when they run down the laps under caution to have a GWC. They don't want to take the chance of a wreck on the restart and the race runs long, so they run it down to the GWC.

For the trucks especially there’s little opportunity to get into a rhythm and get some good green flag racing in. Going back to a halftime as it started out with may be a better idea.

For the trucks especially there’s little opportunity to get into a rhythm and get some good green flag racing in. Going back to a halftime as it started out with may be a better idea.
They do that now when they have a stand a lone race. It's not a bad thing

Has anyone figured out how stage lengths are set? Early on the first two were each roughly 25% of the total distance, with the final stage the remaining 50%. Now sometimes the second is almost twice as long as the first, and only a few laps less than the third.

Honestly I think they just use a magic 8 ball, or like a set of DnD dice.

I doubt it’s even intentional but the way they do it now kind of seems lined up (though not exactly) with pit windows.

The first one is shorter and allows them to just pit at the end usually. It works kind of like a competition caution to allow them to get warmed up kind of and just check how things are going etc. Then the second stage is long enough to force them to make a green flag stop unless some cautions happen.

I wonder if that was considered when they started doing stage lengths the way they do now or if it’s just a coincidence.
That makes a lot of sense to me when thinking about how they set them.

Pre-planned stage breaks are less bad than NASCAR throwing debris cautions to manipulate races like they used to.

Funny how before stage racing, almost every race had multiple cautions for "debris" on track.

When stage racing began, suddenly debris was no longer a problem at most tracks.

Great way to kill a thread that was getting a lot of traffic. Move is to a different forum that nobody goes to! Thanks mods!

I voted No, but I think a better points structure rewarding the race winner with the most points would be an improvement.

Example:

Race Winner - 50 (5 playoff points)
2nd - 39
3rd - 38

38th - 3
39th - 2
40th - 1
——————————

Stage Winner - 5 (1 playoff point)
2nd - 4
3rd - 3
4th - 2
5th - 1

Pre-planned stage breaks are less bad than NASCAR throwing debris cautions to manipulate races like they used to.

Funny how before stage racing, almost every race had multiple cautions for "debris" on track.

When stage racing began, suddenly debris was no longer a problem at most tracks.

Agree. I don’t think people realize how bad Hoots was getting.

Back
Top Bottom