State of the Sport

Can’t wait for the anarchy to beak out in this thread
EC42E3BE-BF61-4D11-94AD-58833156E4E1.jpeg

Typical NASCAR response. We tell you what we want you to hear not necessarily the truth.

I'm fine with it, in a lot of ways, electrification does return stock car racing to it's "Buy On Sunday, Sell on Monday" roots. You want stock cars to be road relevant, this is the only way to do it. The automotive industry is moving away from large horsepower high displacement V8s.

Typical NASCAR response. We tell you what we want you to hear not necessarily the truth.
Nobody will ever see this “data” that proves anything Phelps and OD say.
I've read the 'Rate The Race' threads on this forum. I absolutely believe Phelps when he says more fans like this WFO pack racing 'package.' I'm not one of them... but it's clear that those of us who prefer high power, low downforce, skill-based racing are in the minority.

Nobody will ever see this “data” that proves anything Phelps and OD say.

I'm not even concerned with the supposed data. NASCAR is obviously invested in believing and convincing consumers that their current approach is the correct one, and such polls aren't conducted in an objective manner. Regardless, while customer feedback is very important, the task of leading such an organization is not simply to be a census taker and react to whatever "the fans" tell you to do next. They're supposed to be leading and creating demand, not following.

I've read the 'Rate The Race' threads on this forum. I absolutely believe Phelps when he says more fans like this WFO pack racing 'package.' I'm not one of them... but it's clear that those of us who prefer high power, low downforce, skill-based racing are in the minority.

This may well be true, but I don't believe any such sample or even any currently available data is declarative on the subject. The fixation on instant feedback also severely misses the point of what long term guardianship of a sporting organization is about IMO.

The 2019 rules package was never meant to be the long term solution anyway, it's clearly meant to be a stopgap until the Gen 7 car is ready

"What are we looking for is what is the most entertaining race. If that means fill throttle racing, that is the racing we are going to have."

*f-i-l-l throttle*

Amen, brother, amen.

But it is hard to live without the fixings, it is like I am fixing to take my next breath. Something I must and will do.
I think the people have spoken(feedback) is just noise, a way to deny accountability. It is just manufacturered consent or a justification to do what they had already predetermined.

NASCAR has been doing this for 70 years and they know how and do what they want to do. At least they should.

Well at least I gotta to talk about the fixings....

Maybe Phelps should have a press conference with all the racing media talking head genius types, and make the following statement, " We suck, we're stupid, we are clueless about all forms of racing. We've got this far on dumb luck and fooling the inbred hayseeds. End of presser, thank you, have a nice day". Maybe everyone would be all happy then. Puppies and coloring books for everybody.

Maybe Phelps should have a press conference with all the racing media talking head genius types, and make the following statement, " We suck, we're stupid, we are clueless about all forms of racing. We've got this far on dumb luck and fooling the inbred hayseeds. End of presser, thank you, have a nice day". Maybe everyone would be all happy then. Puppies and coloring books for everybody.

Sold, keep the coloring books though.

Shhhh..
Protect the Shillians and the needs...
Took me a long time to get my shill checks going...

How can anybody not be awestruck with the Brian era that is coming to a close. It sends shills down my spine.

I saw this coming after seeing the reaction here to the 2018 all Star race.
I honestly can't blame Nascar if this is what the majority of fans want. They'll lose me and a few like me but that's probably acceptable losses. With 50 laps to go, I shut the race off last week as that type of racing does not interest me. It looks like I'm finished with Nascar.

How can anybody not be awestruck with the Brian era that is coming to a close. It sends shills down my spine.
If they ever did a Brian's prison life reality series I would sign on for any PPV price.

I'll take starbursts and tickets to the new lion king. Thanks.

The 2019 rules package was never meant to be the long term solution anyway, it's clearly meant to be a stopgap until the Gen 7 car is ready
NASCAR has said on numerous occasions that 2019 is the foundation upon which the Gen-7 will be built. Many of the same concepts will be transferred into the next generation, most notably the 550 HP target. Given the comment from Mr. Phelps that 'full throttle' racing is okay, along with others made by O'Donnell in the past, it seems likely that the high drag/high downforce aspect will be carried over as well.

Back
Top Bottom