State of the Sport

I've read the 'Rate The Race' threads on this forum. I absolutely believe Phelps when he says more fans like this WFO pack racing 'package.' I'm not one of them... but it's clear that those of us who prefer high power, low downforce, skill-based racing are in the minority.
The feedback loop is broken. The Fan Council questions are terribly biased. You can't even get into the Fan Council if you indicate that your interest in NASCAR is at a low. Obviously, the ones that are mostly responding to these (and Twitter) questions are diehards who will usually watch no matter what. There's nothing asked of people who were fed up with everything else and hanging on just to watch Dale Jr. and Jeff Gordon finish out their careers (I imagine there will be a similar effect when Jimmie retires). And if you don't like how things are going despite your participation, you'll naturally feel less inclined to partake in their surveys in the future. So, it's all a bit self-fulfilling.

NASCAR has said on numerous occasions that 2019 is the foundation upon which the Gen-7 will be built. Many of the same concepts will be transferred into the next generation, most notably the 550 HP target. Given the comment from Mr. Phelps that 'full throttle' racing is okay, along with others made by O'Donnell in the past, it seems likely that the high drag/high downforce aspect will be carried over as well.
Oh I think I'm going to hurl

Thought I’d share this here. Will be interesting to see how the industry or sport compensates for this 16% forecasted drop off.

I would think that since the corporate brass/board knows this is coming that efficiency measures and cost cutting will/should be put in place to compensate, especially during a stable inflation pperiod. 16% over 5 years is not chump change, but is certainly doable. But then again this is NASCAR we are talking about.

The feedback loop is broken. The Fan Council questions are terribly biased. You can't even get into the Fan Council if you indicate that your interest in NASCAR is at a low....
Yeah, I understand that. The biases reported in the Fan Council questionnaires are truly shocking and disgusting. But my comment was based on the "Rate The Race" threads here... on a forum that trends toward old guys that generally dislike anything new. This forum is voting rather strongly that the 2019 rules with WFO pack racing at intermediate tracks is great. I repeat... I'm not one of them. But that's what I see as the majority opinion here.

Yeah, I understand that. The biases reported in the Fan Council questionnaires are truly shocking and disgusting. But my comment was based on the "Rate The Race" threads here... on a forum that trends toward old guys that generally dislike anything new. This forum is voting rather strongly that the 2019 rules with WFO pack racing at intermediate tracks is great. I repeat... I'm not one of them. But that's what I see as the majority opinion here.
I agree, but I’m not sure how representative a few dozen bums like us on a message board really is.

Back
Top Bottom