Stopped by Hickory Speedway yesterday

superchuck500

Team Owner
AB2C3DD4-9FF5-45F9-AD5D-29CCC69F29E3.jpeg
I had never been to the track in Hickory and I do get through that way about once a year - but just never had the opportunity. Yesterday I was driving by myself in a rental car with no time-table and I figured it was the perfect chance to see this historic race track.

I started following nascar in 1995 and I watched a couple of Busch series races there on TV. I also drove the track on the 90s Nascar (Papyrus) video game. Seeing it in person was just awesome. And the racing gods smiled on me with a beautiful day and a car on the track! I sat in the bleachers and just imagined Ralph Earnhardt taking the checkers in front of a full house.

Here’s a video and some pics I took.

I lived 20 minutes away from that track and caught a few races of all sorts. A lot of drunk, wannbe racers leaving those Saturday night races and tearing up highway 70.
I came close to running some practice laps there in a friends late model, but his relocation plans changed and it never happened. Probably would have cost me a bit of money, but it would have been a dream come true.

Matt McCall, as in Jamie Mac's crew chief? Interesting.

Also, I see a nice little plethora of some of NASCAR's greats towards the beginning of the list.

Back
Top Bottom