Super Bowl LVIII

Note to self: Taylor Swift is staying off the stage during the trophy presentation.
She has an understated class and she isn't trying to upstage anyone as she knows she would with her presence on the center stage or podium.

I think she is just a good girl that comes out to support her boyfriend and nothing more.
The camara hounds her everywhere she goes, she isn't starving for the attention and probably would prefer to watch her boyfriend play without the fanfare.

And oh yeah... TAY TAY

I give Shanahan a lot of crap because I don't think his schematic 'genius' amounts to much in the biggest games. However, there isn't much to criticize tonight on an in-game coaching level. They were not the better team, but came out with more energy and a solid game plan that controlled the game well into the third quarter. Until the enormous bungled punt return turnover, there was no momentum working in the Chiefs' favor. The Chiefs were merely hanging around, and leaning on their defense as they have all year.

The 49ers were outplayed by the Packers in the divisional round and managed to win by forcing a few errors down the stretch. Same with the Lions in the conference championship. They then came within a hair of winning the Super Bowl. I think it's fair to say Shanahan got the most out of the team he has this year. The problem is more that the team he's built always looks better on paper than it does in practice.

Looking over the game stats, it's a wonder that McCaffrey only averaged 3.6 yards per carry. It felt at points like he was gaining 6-7 yards on every touch.

The Chiefs played two exceptional games against the Bills and Ravens, and then came out flat in this one and made error after error. They got it together in the second half, but the success is almost inexplicable, because it really shouldn't work like that. Mahomes just has the magic touch, and he willed the team to victory.

It is also interesting to think about whether the new OT rules make choosing to kick and take the ball second the right strategic choice. Under the old sudden death rules, it was a no-brainer. The team that wins the toss gets the ball and wins approximately 60% of the time. Under the last set of rules, still pretty much a no-brainer. A TD wins the game outright, you have to play for that, or at least set the tone and put the pressure on the other team. Now that the kicking team has a chance to match any score, it really puts them in more control of the outcome.

I give Shanahan a lot of crap because I don't think his schematic 'genius' amounts to much in the biggest games. However, there isn't much to criticize tonight on an in-game coaching level. They were not the better team, but came out with more energy and a solid game plan that controlled the game well into the third quarter. Until the enormous bungled punt return turnover, there was no momentum working in the Chiefs' favor. The Chiefs were merely hanging around, and leaning on their defense as they have all year.

The 49ers were outplayed by the Packers in the divisional round and managed to win by forcing a few errors down the stretch. Same with the Lions in the conference championship. They then came within a hair of winning the Super Bowl. I think it's fair to say Shanahan got the most out of the team he has this year. The problem is more that the team he's built always looks better on paper than it does in practice.

Looking over the game stats, it's a wonder that McCaffrey only averaged 3.6 yards per carry. It felt at points like he was gaining 6-7 yards on every touch.

The Chiefs played two exceptional games against the Bills and Ravens, and then came out flat in this one and made error after error. They got it together in the second half, but the success is almost inexplicable, because it really shouldn't work like that. Mahomes just has the magic touch, and he willed the team to victory.
Mahomes vs Purdy. That was the difference.

It is also interesting to think about whether the new OT rules make choosing to kick and take the ball second the right strategic choice. Under the old sudden death rules, it was a no-brainer. The team that wins the toss gets the ball and wins approximately 60% of the time. Under the last set of rules, still pretty much a no-brainer. A TD wins the game outright, you have to play for that, or at least set the tone and put the pressure on the other team. Now that the kicking team has a chance to match any score, it really puts them in more control of the outcome.
It is still a no brainer

They’re quite different in a lot ways, but college OT has long had the same underlying concept of giving both teams an opportunity to possess the ball, and coin toss winners typically choose to play defense first since they know what they have to accomplish when they get the ball. I’m not sure that will fully translate to NFL playoff OT but it’s interesting to consider.

I think Romo even brought this up at the start of OT but also mentioned how SF may have wanted the ball in part because their defense was just on the field for the final minutes of regulation.

1708094266910.png

Back
Top Bottom