Surprises In Lastest Ranking of Cup Drivers' Popularity

Tumbleweed

Team Owner
Well, they were surprises to me at least. I figured that Blaney would be high but never thought he would be #1.
Bowman, Byron and the two Busches were all higher than I would have expected them to be and Chase Elliott and Matt D. were lower than I would have expected.

Also, Truex, Jr. and Wallace were both much lower than I would have expected. The positions of everyone else seems about right to me though.

Hooters-Driver-Rankings-101019.png

Chase 8th? Huh.

Not even a fan of his but that surprises me. To be honest that whole list is surprising.

Chase in 8th..who is counting the votes over there.
Hooters is, according to the credit to the right of the chart. This was probably one of those polls where you can vote once a day (to get you to view lots of ads), and Blaney fans pushed participation on a social media site. At to this being the 'latest ranking', we don't have the numbers from the last poll Hooters conducted, so comparisons and surprises to other polls aren't valid.

I'd stick with NASCAR's numbers; they're probably not more statistically accurate but at least they're pulling from a broader base of voters. "Lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Yeah...no way this is accurate. If you've been to any NASCAR race in person in the past 3 years you'd see Chase is the clear fan favorite and it's not even close.

And when I went to Bristol this year my friend and I were the only people wearing Ryan Preece gear...now I know attendence is down but how the two of us got him to 17th most popular is still a shocker :D

I’m surprised NASHCASH hasn’t started awarding popularity bonus points.

It turns out that voting is still open through Dec. 4 and you can vote once per day!! That list above is indeed very misleading and that entire voting process looks screwy, especially if votes by Facebook or Twitter count double.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/09/04/voting-opens-for-2019-most-popular-driver-award/

>>NASCAR fan voting has begun for the 2019 National Motorsports Press Association Most Popular Driver Award presented by Hooters.

Fans can cast a vote for a single driver once daily at www.nascar.com/mostpopulardriver or on the NASCAR Mobile app. Votes shared by fans on Facebook and / or Twitter count double.

To be eligible, drivers must have declared series points and be in the top 32 in Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series points by the start of the voting, according to contest rules.

Balloting began today at noon ET and will continue through Dec. 4, at Noon ET. The winner will be announced the following day, Dec. 5, during the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Awards program. The announcement will be carried live on NBCSN, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.<<

This just goes to show the resiliency of the letter B. It's hard to beat. Looking ahead to the future, Christopher Bell will be a serious contender in this category and could jump to the top quickly. Cole Custer has the potential to hover around the top five after the Busches are gone. Then again, there is another Burton climbing the ranks. Ross Chastain also has possibilities. Meanwhile, the odds are stacked against Tyler Reddick ever impressing.

It is a shame Justin Allgaier did not get an opportunity in a top ride, as he has everything needed to dominate this list year in and year out.

This just goes to show the resiliency of the letter B. It's hard to beat. Looking ahead to the future, Christopher Bell will be a serious contender in this category and could jump to the top quickly. Cole Custer has the potential to hover around the top five after the Busches are gone. Then again, there is another Burton climbing the ranks. Ross Chastain also has possibilities. Meanwhile, the odds are stacked against Tyler Reddick ever impressing.

It is a shame Justin Allgaier did not get an opportunity in a top ride, as he has everything needed to dominate this list year in and year out.
Too bad Marcos Ambrose retired

:XXROFL:

At a glance, you can tell this isn't accurate in any way, shape, or form.

If you've been to a race within the last 4 years, it's very obvious, both by looking around and by listening, who the most popular driver is. And it's not close.

Do you genuinely think not a single person on the face of this earth likes him? Even the back markers have some fans lol
Not saying that, but I can see him not being listed

I am actually a fan. I know he's never going to be a superstar, but I think he is a solid driver and like his personality and respect the way he drives and handles himself. It's a shame the douche bags in the sport seem to suck up so much of the attention.
You mean the ones winning races?

Didn't he drive for JGR at one point?

If you've been to a race within the last 4 years, it's very obvious, both by looking around and by listening, who the most popular driver is. And it's not close.

2016 Auto Club waiting in line to get thru the gates...guy decked out in Chase gear starts trying to recruit my niece to choose him as favorite driver since he overheard it was her first race. :rolleyes:

I've been to NH every year since 04. (Except 18 cause of my hospital stay) and I can tell you this is not true. Not once has he gotten more of a cheer than anyone else. Blaney and Logano got the loudest cheers in July.

Although its New England, so it's typical narcissistic New England fashion for fans to cheer for a local driver in Logano. Fwiw, Johnson got the 3rd most cheers and more cheers than Chase in July. If Chase is the most popular driver, its not ANYTHING like Junior. Not even remotely close. Fans seem to resonate more with Blaney than Chase. There may be more chase fans, but I think casuals and people who don't have favorites would gravitate towards Blaney.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chase is the most popular, but it's not nearly as much of a following and cult (to the point of annoyance as a fan of his) like JR Nation was.

Also I didn't know Ryan Preece had that much of a following, presumably from a lot of the modified fans.

Back
Top Bottom