Take a picture of your current view

I thought Hokitika was really cool.
20210207_094527.jpg

20210207_103656.jpg

20210207_102546.jpg

20210207_101950.jpg

20210207_104609.jpg

I'll definitely be heading back to the West Coast of the South Island again soon.
In the winter rainfall is horrendous I think. They call it the Wet Coast.
Probably why those Nikau palms grow so well there.

I forgot to mention that as I was waiting for my flight or if Christchurch back to Auckland I spotted these US planes on the tarmac. They use Christchurch as their base to head to McMurdo Sound in Antarctica in the NZ claimed Ross Dependency.
20210209_132356.jpg

20210209_132815.jpg

20210209_132757.jpg

Note that the C-130 is on skis.
They had 4 of them there and a C-17

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that as I was waiting for my flight or if Christchurch back to Auckland I spotted these US planes on the tarmac. They use Christchurch as their base to head to McMurdo Sound in Antarctica in the NZ claimed Ross Dependency.
View attachment 53779
View attachment 53780
View attachment 53781
Note that the C-130 is on skis.
They had 4 of them there and a C-17
In the late 90s, a unit I was attached to provided emergency DZ capabilities for McMurdo out of Christchurch. I never got to get that assignment. I did get to go to Sierra Leon for their civil war though when my roatation came up for Christchurch.

Followed the cans directions...it exploded
20210616_143245.jpg

One of the most memorable times of my life was snowmobiling in the Teton Mountains. The year was 1984 and a friend and I took advantage of air fare wars and enjoyed a holiday of five days at a lodge riding rented snowmobiles. We were supposed to go with a larger group and did so the first day there but after that first day of riding on flat terrain and easy trails to accommodate novice riders who wanted to stop every half hour to drink a hot beverage and in their excitement tell each other what a great time they were having, we asked one of the guides who seemed eager to try something more challenging if he had other areas where the riding would be more stimulating. My friend and I were somewhat experienced at riding snow machines and owned our own snow machines while it seemed all the other lodge guests were novices.

On the second day our guide, Johnny, held back until everyone else left the area and then took us to places inexperienced riders would have difficulty navigating. On one particular day Johnny took us on a rugged route up the mountainside to a plateau. Once there, we rode to the middle of the plateau, shut off the snow machines and simply sat there and looked and listened.
The landscape had been defiled by tracks left by our snow machines and other than those tracks, the plateau was a beautiful, flat, unscarred area of fresh white snow that looked as if someone had thrown a sheet over the landscape. What we heard was amazing, scary and yet, peaceful. It was dead silence. No airplanes overhead, no traffic noise, no birds singing, just the gentle rustling of the wind across the virgin snow, and dead silence. Ten minutes of total silence but ten minutes that still evokes a thrill and memories of a fun trip.

My friend and I had planned to return a couple of years later and learned the lodge where we stayed had burned down and had not been rebuilt.

What ya fishin for?

Mostly for California Halibut and Spotted Bay/Calico Bass, landed 1 Hali and couple of Bass but nothing of size to keep, has to be 22" for Halibut here which is quite large for this area, mine was 15" and then one Calico that was 10" but needs to be 14" min, still fun to catch, next time the big ones 🎣🎣.

Mostly for California Halibut and Spotted Bay/Calico Bass, landed 1 Hali and couple of Bass but nothing of size to keep, has to be 22" for Halibut here which is quite large for this area, mine was 15" and then one Calico that was 10" but needs to be 14" min, still fun to catch, next time the big ones 🎣🎣.
@Johali would be interested in your catch.

Back
Top Bottom